Onkyo TSR-608 Lip Sync Issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently upgraded from an ageing DVD and CRT TV to a Sony KDL40W5810 LCD 1080p TV, combined with a Panasonic DMR-BS850 Blu Ray Recorder with Freesat+ and an Onkyo TSR-608 Receiver. The Blu Ray is connected via HDMI to the Onkyo which is then connected to the TV by HDMI. Both cables are HDMI reference 1.4 standard, 1m into the Onkyo and 2m from the Onkyo to the Sony TV.

I'm experiencing a lot of Lip Sync issues which is somewhat spoiling the improved picture and sound quality. I've tried all the settings for all components, but can't solve it fully. I've set the AV sync on the Onkyo to 100ms which makes it a lot better, but it still seems to fluctuate during a film. If I connect the Blu Ray direct to the TV then no problem at all but then no HD sound. I've reviewed many forums, but cannot find any definitive advice.

Can I alter anything in the menus of any of the machines or is the 100ms AV sync the best I can do?. All help very greatfully received as I'm stuck.

Thanks

Chris

A

Anonymous

I am having the same problem. My system is connected as follows :

1. PS3 with an HDMI cable to Onkyo TX-SR608.

2. Onkyo TX-SR608 is connected to my Samsung 610B LCD with an HDMI cable.

PS3 is sending audio as a bitstream, and doesn't do any upscaling for DVDs.

The Onkyo is set to Game Mode - I read about that it reduces latencies of video processing of Onkyo's video chip.

The delay fluctuates during one film (X-Men Origin: Wolverine) and there it is very obvious, and adding delay doesn't always help. I have delays in other content too, DVDs, Cable TV...

I have learned from my investigation over the internet that the Onkyo has a hidden feature to disable its video processor, but then if you do disable the processing, the OSD is not displayed. To do that you need to press and hold VCR button and press RETURN to choose to skip or to keep the video processing.

I checked that this feature exists today, but I didn't have the time to see if it really helps...

I will post again with my findings.

regards,

DolbyGTX

A

Anonymous

Had similar problems with different TV and amp (TV connected directly to the Blue Ray Player, AV connected to sound only) a couple of years ago and fixed it by turning of all the video processing options in the TV. Result minimal to zero impact on picture quality and no synch problems.

I think all that video processing places an overhead on the TV and realtime processing is not quite realtime resulting in synch problems.

MRAlan

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Intresting I have same problem with onkyo 607. If I watch the programme on normal channel bbc1 for example all is fine, if I switch over to BBC1HD, then the lip sync problem kicks in, on any HD channells and that is watching it through freeview and Virgin....
Alan

A

Anonymous

I'm also seeing these problems, typically on some HD channels.
Like one of the posters, I'm also on Virgin Media using their V+ box and a PS3 for blu-rays.

At the moment I'm working around the problem by flipping to direct audio mode and THX mode, but the problem keeps coming back.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone gets a solution to this.

Jason

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone. Again the same problem, only I'm running a Pioneer amp, blu ray and Sony TV. It occurs exacty as MRAlan said,

"If I watch the programme on normal channel bbc1 for example all is fine, if I switch over to BBC1HD, then the lip sync problem kicks in, on any HD channells and that is watching it through freeview and Virgin....
Alan"

Also as Christopher_Masters said,

"I'm experiencing a lot of Lip Sync issues which is somewhat spoiling the improved picture and sound quality. I've tried all the settings for all components, but can't solve it fully. I've set the AV sync on the Onkyo to 100ms which makes it a lot better, but it still seems to fluctuate during a film. If I connect the Blu Ray direct to the TV then no problem at all but then no HD sound. "

I'm starting to think its a TV firmware issue as I don't think the new HDMI 1.4 interface as been configured properly to work with all components. Namely the new generation of AV Amps.

The TV does work perfectly with the Sony S570 blu ray I have, but its picture and sound are not as good as the Pioneer LX54.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts