Hip-hop system for £500-£1500

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I need a pair of speakers with good bass that works well with hip-hop. I also need a stereo amplifier that does the same.

My budget is £500-£1500 and I live in norway, so try to keep it at about £1000 as it usually is a bit more expensive here in norway.

My room is about 23 cubic meters big. I have a pitched roof.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and thanks for all help.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Depending on the rest of your setup, active studio speakers with 200mm or bigger bass drivers will be your best bet.

Suitable models start at just £400pr for the Yamaha HS8 or Mackie MR8 Mk3 and there are plenty of other options as you go up in price. The Adam A8x is a very potent speaker at around £1000, but the absolute beast in this area of the market is the Mackie HR824-2.

Right at the top of your budget the HR824-2 is a trully formidable speaker for this kind of music, 150 + 100 watts of onboard power, big 8.75 inch bass driver with rear mounted passive radiator gives bass down to 35hz, with real power and punch. A lot depends on what they cost in your part of the world, but if they are available in budget, you will not be disappointed.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

Depending on the rest of your setup, active studio speakers with 200mm or bigger bass drivers will be your best bet.

Suitable models start at just £400pr for the Yamaha HS8 or Mackie MR8 Mk3 and there are plenty of other options as you go up in price. The Adam A8x is a very potent speaker at around £1000, but the absolute beast in this area of the market is the Mackie HR824-2.

Right at the top of your budget the HR824-2 is a trully formidable speaker for this kind of music, 150 + 100 watts of onboard power, big 8.75 inch bass driver with rear mounted passive radiator gives bass down to 35hz, with real power and punch. A lot depends on what they cost in your part of the world, but if they are available in budget, you will not be disappointed.

This is very good advice.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:

I can speak for the Yamaha HS8, got a pair in my recording studio & will play hiphop to very loud levels with kick ass bass. Also got the ability to boost or trim selected frequencies. Very good for £400 a per. A must demo.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Did you quote Thomann's prices excluding German VAT? You should not have to pay that as you are exporting outside the EU.

The HS8s are astonishing value in this application, might be all you need in a domestic environment. Still pretty powerful with a bass response to below 50hz, -3dB. Just work out the best way to drive them.

Edit: Just checked, they quote prices to Norway ex-vat (as they should) and also say shipping to Norway is a nominal €20 per order.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Did you quote Thomann's prices excluding German VAT? You should not have to pay that as you are exporting outside the EU.

Yes, if you select an out-of-the-EU country (such as Norway, or Mauritius in my case) Thomann's website automatically shows prices ex-VAT.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
A pair of those 824 Mk2 plus a nice volume controller will cost you NOK 12,943 from Thomann (http://www.thomann.de/intl/mackie_hr824_mk2_monicon_bundle.htm), NOK 6,468 per side otherwise (http://www.thomann.de/intl/mackie_hr824_mk2.htm) so you basically get the volume controller for free.

Shipping to Norway costs NOK 171 per 30kg, you might want to check beforehand with Thomann if it would go over the weight limit or not (total weight will be very close to it, worst thing you would have to pay NOK 342 instead).

I have checked the Norwegian Customs' website (http://www.toll.no/en/international/english/online-shopping/ordering-from-foreign-online-stores/, very nice of them to have an English website) and it appears that you would "only" have to pay 25% VAT on the order's value (including shipping costs) so the total cost should be NOK 16,393 (i.e. GBP 1,333) or NOK 16,606 if you have to pay shipping "twice".

Pretty much the best you could get for your budget and intended usage.

EDIT: A pair of HS8s (http://www.thomann.de/intl/yamaha_hs_8.htm) would cost you NOK 5,160, including shipping and Norwegian taxes.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So I've been searching and found the HR824 at 13600kr a pair here: http://www.musikkhandel.no/mackie-hr824-mk2-8-aktiv-studiomonitor-detaljert-lyd-for-monitoring-thx-sertifisert.html

What connections do they have? Do I need anything more?

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
That's a very good price (less than the MSRP in the US!).

In order to assess what might be needed, could you let us know what you plan to connect to them?

Sources can be connected via XLR, TRS or RCA connectors.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
KRK Rokit 10-3 are good fun speakers for bass orientated music, three way active design with large 10" bass drivers. Just add a DAC preamp from the likes of Cambridge Audio and you're good to go, phone can be hooked up either via a dock or small headphone jack if you have anaolgue inputs and computer via USB.

nissen1502

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
bluedroog said:
KRK Rokit 10-3 are good fun speakers for bass orientated music, three way active design with large 10" bass drivers. Just add a DAC preamp from the likes of Cambridge Audio and you're good to go, phone can be hooked up either via a dock or small headphone jack if you have anaolgue inputs and computer via USB.

Which ones are better, the Mackie's or the KRK's? The KRK's is a bit cheaper, so I can get 2 for 10000kr instead of 14000kr for the mackies.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You will always get different view from different people. I depens on experience, I have had 'hands on' the models I mention and for your application I think they would all do well for you.

If you have no chance to listen for yourself then I suggest trying the Yamaha HS8, relatively inexpensive and very popular, sure the Adams are more precise and revealing and the Mackies extremely powerful but for the money the HS8s do a fantastic job.

Well under budget too, so no great financial pressure, you will need a dac/preamp (with volume control), but they can be had easily enough. Fostex do a simple usb in phono out volume 'knob' for about £60, the Audio Engine D1 is about £140 and there ape plenty of others though full function dac/preampd from well known hi-fi brands tend to be expensive.

If you are buying online, check out the latest version of the Beresford Caiman at a little over £200.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
nissen1502 said:
bluedroog said:

Which ones are better, the Mackie's or the KRK's? The KRK's is a bit cheaper, so I can get 2 for 10000kr instead of 14000kr for the mackies.

I'm not as familair with the Mackies but I'd imagine the Mackies will be a little more sufisticated and probably have better high frequencies, where the KRKs excel is in the bass, for the price they are a lot of speaker, they are quite imposing.

The fact you specifically mentioned Hip hop is why I suggested the KRKs, had you been more general on genre I suggest something smaller like Adam or Focal but the KRKs are almost DJ speakers, not pure bass bins, they can be subtle but it just depends on how you balance your priorities.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts