High pitched noise with Focal XS Book

DenmarkDave

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
I haven't used my speakers for a year and when I turned them on again I got this high-pitched noise, irregardless of the volume.

Sample here:

Any idea what's wrong and can it be fixed? It's quiet annoying and I can't really even listen to the TV with this sound on the speakers.

DenmarkDave

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I plugged the left speaker only into the the power supply (so no other cables) and the hissing sound remains (I'm pressing on and off button on this recording).

I don't have a spare power supply yet to test if that cable might be problematic. Or does this point into the direction that's it's the speaker itself?

Gray

does this point into the direction that's it's the speaker itself?
Yes.
When I listened to your sample, I was expecting to hear more of a high pitched tone,
as opposed to hiss.

Although WHF didn't pick up on it in their review, another review did.
Here's what it said:

'Noise
Not acceptable for hi-fi use is that the internal amplifiers are audibly noisy within a few feet. Used on a quiet desk you'll always hear slight amplifier hiss.
The noise is unchanged regardless of the level control's setting'.

Seems like you just never noticed the hiss before - as it is unlikely to have got any worse since you last used them.

Not a good situation - and I'm not surprised that its an issue for you :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

DenmarkDave

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, now that I think of it, I used to have speakers further away (used as TV speakers) and now they are at my computer desk hence super close.

Guess the only solution is to turn up the volume :(

Reactions: Gray

DenmarkDave

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
roachindignant, the hissing noise is present irregardless of the volume.

However it's like Gray said, it seems the sound was always there are I just didn't notice it until I was reconnecting the speakers and as such had silence and closeness as factors.

In fact, using normal volume at 2m away makes the hissing muffled and unnoticeable for my ears. So OK for TV speakers but not for PC or Hi-Fi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts