high Hz TVs - what do they actually do?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
What do the TVs with high refresh rates actually do? This feature is supposed to make the image better, so what actually makes it better?

Say, the content has native frame rate of 25 (or is it 24?) frames per second, i.e. 25 (24) Hz. A 50Hz TV will then show every frame twice within 1/25th of a second, right? And the frame will be exactly the same, right? i.e. not shifted or half-shifted (towards the next frame). It will just 'blink" twice but for half of the time time each time?

A 100Hz or 200Hz TV will then show each frame 4 or 8 times within 1/25th of a cecond, right?

If that is right, where the improvement is supposed to be coming from? Why not just show the frame for the whole 1/25th of second, without 'blinking'?

Or are all the additional frames interpolated between the 2 original neighbouring frames?

Or am I missing something?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
All depends on the tv

uk runs at 50Hz (freeview for example is 1 frame per 25Hz interlaced. Some dvd players will upscale for example to show 50Hz progressive (Full screen)

Running at 100Hz generally means there is some interpolation going on. This however can look WORSE than if it wasnt interpolated at all

My sony for example as 100Hz 'motionflow'. Its horrible at times so I never use it now

Latest tvs tend to have a 24Hz 'mode' (for bluray viewing ONLY). What they do ive never yet found out, but as cinemas run at 48Hz (generally) to reduce flicker then id assume a similar type of thing with tvs

So the answer is they 'can' be slightly better if interpolated correctly. In my experience they dont do too well (That said, the latest generation of tvs might have come on better these days)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

My sony for example as 100Hz 'motionflow'. Its horrible at times so I never use it now

Agree. I only use it on high for soaps or some sports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts