Hifiman HE-500 - review

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Good review: very thorough and clear, and IMO right on the money.

I've had a pair of these since July and am extremely happy with them. I auditioned them at home against the Audeze LCD2s, which I thought had the edge on SQ (especially in the bass department), but I found the HE-500s much more comfortable. With headphones of course SQ isn't everything.

I'm currently looking for a headphone amp/DAC for them. The requirement is that that the amp/DAC must have either optical digital or coax digital inputs. I'm thinking of waiting for John Westlake's new MDAC2 (due in the spring). Any other suggestions?

:cheers:

Matt

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Good review: very thorough and clear, and IMO right on the money. I've had a pair of these since July and am extremely happy with them. I auditioned them at home against the Audeze LCD2s, which I thought had the edge on SQ (especially in the bass department), but I found the HE-500s much more comfortable. With headphones of course SQ isn't everything. I'm currently looking for a headphone amp/DAC for them. The requirement is that that the amp/DAC must have either optical digital or coax digital inputs. I'm thinking of waiting for John Westlake's new MDAC2 (due in the spring). Any other suggestions? :cheers: Matt
Thanks Matt! I didn't know about the M-DAC2 actually. I must say that I have been really impressed by the combination of Schiit DACs and amps with the Hifiman range and that's only been with the very reasonably priced Modi & Magni. Stepping those up a range is quite a bit more expensive, but even the Bifrost adds the functionality that you're looking for. Then you can add either a solid state amp or a valve to that, as you see fit. Although I got rid of it a while ago the Yulong D100 mkii was a very capable combined DAC/amp that also has all the main digital inputs available.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Thanks Matt! I didn't know about the M-DAC2 actually. I must say that I have been really impressed by the combination of Schiit DACs and amps with the Hifiman range and that's only been with the very reasonably priced Modi & Magni. Stepping those up a range is quite a bit more expensive, but even the Bifrost adds the functionality that you're looking for. Then you can add either a solid state amp or a valve to that, as you see fit. Although I got rid of it a while ago the Yulong D100 mkii was a very capable combined DAC/amp that also has all the main digital inputs available.

Cheers, quadpatch.

I've been looking at the Schiit range, and the Bifrost seems like a good bet. Thanks fo the suggestion.

Another option would be to go for a plain headphone amp and plug it into the pre-outs of the Devialet. Cheaper and simpler.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Today I loaned a Musical Fidelity M1 HPAP from my local dealer. It's plugged in to the pre-outs of my Devialet 170. The SQ is excellent: smooth, rich and powerful Class A sound. The Hifiman HE-500s are singing beautifully.

I might try some other options, but I'm not sure I can do much better for the price.

Matt

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Today I loaned a Musical Fidelity M1 HPAP from my local dealer. It's plugged in to the pre-outs of my Devialet 170. The SQ is excellent: smooth, rich and powerful Class A sound. The Hifiman HE-500s are singing beautifully.

I might try some other options, but I'm not sure I can do much better for the price.

Matt

Matt, the Burson Conductor SL range meet your requirements. People are talking positive about the synergy with the Hifiman hp's.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's a good call.

Having tried the MF M1 HPAP, I've decided I'd really like a remote control. I do a lot of my headphone listening lying on a sofa and don't want to have to get up to change the volume. Lazy or what?

Matt

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Thanks, that's a good call.

Having tried the MF M1 HPAP, I've decided I'd really like a remote control. I do a lot of my headphone listening lying on a sofa and don't want to have to get up to change the volume. Lazy or what?

Matt

You can place the headphone amp near your sofa, so that the volume control is within reach ;)

lcook51

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy either a HE-500 or T-90. I currently have a Creek OBH11 Headphone amp. Any thoughts on wbout those 2 headphones and my current amp for them?

Thanks so much.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Good review. I wasn't that impressed with the HE500. I actually preferred the thick, creamy haunting liquid sound of the HD650. I did like the energy up top on the 500 but it didn't give me the spin chills the 650 gave me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts