Amp for Hifiman HE-560

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

First post ever in the headphones section. Newbie, so to speak...

I'm composing a headphone set-up for my office. Last week I laid hands on a Hifiman HE-560 in mint condition. I'm now on the look-out for a DAC-amp that can do it justice. I'll be using my work-pc as a source (through USB). Budget is around 500 GBP max.

I guess I could do worse than a Chord Mojo (if it has enough juice for these 'phones). Other logical company could be Hifiman's EF100. Furthermore, I spotted a refurbished Northstar Design Essensio Plus (with 2 years factory warranty, for less than a third of the RRP).

There's also a second hand Pathos Aurium for sale, though the 800 EUR asking price looks too steep, certainly considering I would need a separate DAC with it.

Any comments on my current shortlist. Other contenders worth considering?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new gorgeous cans.

In na office environment I'd avoid anything with valves or light enough to be draged from the desk by heavier cables. This Aune is decently reviewed.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that Aune seems to tick the necessary boxes. I'll read a little further into it. There's one for sale second hand, just 30 km from here. Maybe I can arrange an audition.

What's with valves in the office? The cleaning lady once ruined my veneered desk with a scourer. But other than that, it's not a hostile environment. Or is it...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Yes, that Aune seems to tick the necessary boxes. I'll read a little further into it. There's one for sale second hand, just 30 km from here. Maybe I can arrange an audition.

What's with valves in the office? The cleaning lady once ruined my veneered desk with a scourer. But other than that, it's not a hostile environment. Or is it...

They are a fire hazzard and not safe to be forgoten turned on. Same rules apply as with any valve amp.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
That Aune X1s is just €229 brandnew! No reason to go second hand here!

Fingers itching to order! Must... resist... (until tomorrow morning, let's say)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
That Aune X1s is just €229 brandnew! No reason to go second hand here!

Fingers itching to order! Must... resist... (until tomorrow morning, let's say)

Head-Fi folks seem to like Aune stuff. I think its a safe buy. But no reason for you not to shop around. Maybe more forumites will post suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts