Hifi system for 1000 EUR, help needed.

max35

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

New on the forums, facing with the problem of buying decent HiFi, max. budget is 1000 EUR

Living room size is 25m2, i don’t need FM, CD looking for network connectivity, preferably all in one unit, similar to Marantz MCR-510, but don’t like the plastic look of it.

One option would be also decent wireless speaker like Naim Muso, B&W A7, but since I can’t test them in advanced I'm scared to throw so much money for it.

I was offered Q Acoustics concept 20 speakers, new for 370 EUR, and find this good deal, but I would need amp to go with it, with some streaming capability, and decent looking. I don’t want to go bigger with the speakers, since I’m limited with space.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Max.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Network capable amplifiers are still relatively rare, the feature is more common on 'all in ones' and A/V receivers.

The Yamaha R-N500 and Onkyo TX 8050 are really the only suspects that fit within budget, proper two channel separates.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
And Harman Kardon HK 3770.

HK is pretty rare in the UK, reputation is not great either and few dealers carry it.

Might be a bit pricy given the budget but without ever having hands on I can't comment on performance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
And Harman Kardon HK 3770.

HK is pretty rare in the UK, reputation is not great either and few dealers carry it.

Might be a bit pricy given the budget but without ever having hands on I can't comment on performance.

Oh dear. I just browsed the user reviews. Not good.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
Just thought I'd throw the NAD D-7050 into the mix. Should be a very good match

Indeed, but given the op's budget, too expensive.......*stop*

Oh yes, I forgot he had to deduct the cost of the speakers out of that...... pity.

Mind you he did mention the Naim Muso and that is even more expensive, so not too sure why he mentioned it really...*scratch_one-s_head*

max35

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks for suggestions, i will look into nad 3020 or 7050 if can find good deal...but still wondering if i should go with hifi wireless instead, and save the space.. did someone listen to Naim Muso? how it would compare against stereo setup?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Reijer said:
Is the Cambridge Minx Xi an option?

Decent amp with network and wireless connectivity.

Even at its 'new' price of £299 the Minx is way off the pace.

If you want to keep the cost down look at the Yamaha R-N301 at just £279. Does pretty much everything bar Bluetooth, but it has Airplay digital radio/Pandora etc and Spotify Connect, digital inputs are limited but how many do you need, given what is onboard?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Reijer said:

If you want to keep the cost down look at the Yamaha R-N301 at just £279. Does pretty much everything bar Bluetooth, but it has Airplay digital radio/Pandora etc and Spotify Connect, digital inputs are limited but how many do you need, given what is onboard?

I can't imagine that £20 is the bottleneck.

If you pair the Xi with some small Dali's, the Kef Q or R100, or the B&W 686s2 you will have a hell of a system under €1000.

rainsoothe

Reijer said:
davedotco said:
Reijer said:

If you pair the Xi with some small Dali's, the Kef Q or R100, or the B&W 686s2 you will have a hell of a system under €1000.

+1. I think the Cambridge Audio Minx xi kind of fits all the criteria. If OP has a friend based in UK or has access to richer sounds offer, then it's a no-brainer (at 300 quid) and with a price like that you can even go B&W 685 S2 for speakers, and, if you need to tone it down, then the next best thing is XTZ 93.23 mk ii or Dali Zensor 3 imo. Oh, and Q Acoustics Concept 20 perhaps. Also, try to get a pair of decent stands instead of placing speakers on furniture if possible.

Also, if you ask me, stereo is better then a mu-so kind of thing - and I'm a Naim fan. Haven't heard the mu-so, but I doubt you can get stereo right with 1 box. Also, the Nad d 3020 is just a dac, it's not a streamer - so you'll have to plug it into the NAS at least, and I don't know how that woud interface with other computers in the house.

Another alternative, that would make a lot of sense given the size of your room, would be a laptop + Behringer UCA202 + Yamaha HS7 active monitors. It's no pretty and no remote, but great sound.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Reijer said:
davedotco said:
Reijer said:

+1. I think the Cambridge Audio Minx xi kind of fits all the criteria. If OP has a friend based in UK or has access to richer sounds offer, then it's a no-brainer (at 300 quid) and with a price like that you can even go B&W 685 S2 for speakers, and, if you need to tone it down, then the next best thing is XTZ 93.23 mk ii or Dali Zensor 3 imo. Oh, and Q Acoustics Concept 20 perhaps. Also, try to get a pair of decent stands instead of placing speakers on furniture if possible.

Also, if you ask me, stereo is better then a mu-so kind of thing - and I'm a Naim fan. Haven't heard the mu-so, but I doubt you can get stereo right with 1 box. Also, the Nad d 3020 is just a dac, it's not a streamer - so you'll have to plug it into the NAS at least, and I don't know how that woud interface with other computers in the house.

Another alternative, that would make a lot of sense given the size of your room, would be a laptop + Behringer UCA202 + Yamaha HS7 active monitors. It's no pretty and no remote, but great sound.

For me, £20 would not be an issue, onboard Airplay and Spotify Connect would though. They are important to me so functionality wise, my choice would be simple.

Each to there own I guess.....*unknw*

TRENDING THREADS