Question HIFI Newb in need of help . . .

robbjoseph81

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Good afternoon. I am new to the HIFI world and admittedly have much to learn. I just made a large investment (~$35K) into the AV setup for my new house (See below) and want to educate myself on the best possible ways to utilize the new setup.

One of the questions I have is around DAC’s and Audio Streaming. I plan on using Tidal for my Audio Streaming (Unless there is a better-quality option out there). I believe the DAC in the Receiver (ESS 9026PRO) should be able to handle the files, but am not sure the best way to send them to the Receiver (ex. Bluetooth, wireless, wired, etc.) from my devices (ex. iPhone, Computer, Apple TV, Sonos Port, etc.). What is the best way to listen to their highest quality files (Masters / MQA)?

Regarding the Receiver DAC (ESS 9026PRO), is this something I can upgrade at some point if I wanted to, say for example to the ES9038PRO? If I could upgrade it, would there be a notable improvement to the sound quality?

Would you make any changes or improvements to the items below? I still have time to make modifications before they install everything in February.

Any guidance or knowledge you can share would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Robb

AV Setup

• Receiver – ARCAM AVR30
  • Amplifier – ARCAM PA720
  • Power Conditioner – FURMAN IT-REF-20I
  • Towers – REVEL F228Be
  • Center – REVEL C426Be
  • Ceiling (6) – REVEL C763L
  • Subs (2) – SVS SB16-Ultra
  • TV – LG OLED77C9PUB
  • Blu-ray – Sony UBPX800M2
  • Streamer – Apple TV 4K
  • Wireless Speaker Connectivity – Sonos Port
  • Remote – Harmony Elite
  • Tower Cables – AudioQuest Rocket 33 10ft
  • Center Cable – AudioQuest Rocket 33 5ft
  • Sub Cables – AudioQuest Irish Red 10ft
  • Amplifier Cables (3) – AudioQuest Golden Gate 3ft
  • Blu-ray Cable – Ethereal MHY-LHDME2 6ft
  • Streamer Cable – AudioQuest 5ft
  • Isolation Systems – SVS SoundPath feet for Towers, Subs and AVR cabinet holding Center and all Electronics
  • Online Content Providers – YouTube TV, YouTube Premium, Netflix Premium, Amazon Prime, Tidal HIFI and Disney+

Reactions: Tonestar1

insider9

Very impressive setup.

Couple of thoughts. I'm not sure why you need the amplifier. AVR30 can be connected straight to speakers I'm not sure how much improvement you'll get (if any) from using PA720.

Regarding DAC inside AVR it would be unlikely you can upgrade it. Usually with AVR you'd replace the whole unit. Not saying it's impossible DIY job but very unlikely.

I'll have a look at specs tomorrow to address your other questions.

Reactions: robbjoseph81

robbjoseph81

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the response and I look forward to your input. The additional amplifier is because I need to power a 7.2.2 setup and the AVR30 is only capable of powering 7 channels. Rather than getting a 2 channel amp, I got the 7 so I can I can Bi-Amp the towers and center speakers and have room for more Atmos speakers in the future.

robbjoseph81

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your response. The floor is a concrete slab covered with Luxury Vinyl Plank. I am definitely open to Acoustic Room treatment, but have 0 experience with it and figured I would get all the gear installed, Dirac'd and broke in before I committed to a specific treatment.

Really wish Spotify would get off their butts and offer a Hi-Res package. Their song selection is considerably better for my music tastes than both Tidal and Qobuz.

I had considered getting the ARCAM CDS50 to use as my Hi-Res streamer. I think the DAC in that is actually better than the one in the new AVR30. Considering I have not used a CD or SACD in over a decade, it would only be used for streaming. Think this would be a good investment?

The Apple TV 4k is what I planned on using for Video streaming. To be honest I am open to consider whatever yields the highest quality video streaming experience to my new LG OLED.

The Sonos was only added so I can purchase a wireless speaker to take around the house and outside porches when I am not listening to my main system in the living room.

For reference, the main level where my setup will be is an open floor plan with 10' ceilings. The Living Room is 15' wide and I was thinking I would put the On Axis position 9-10 feet back. Behind the Living Room is the Kitchen and looking at the Kitchen the Dining room is to the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: inias and sonic1

insider9

Your house is beautiful. If I understand the setup you will have side reflections from a window. Other than blinds I'm not sure how to treat it. It could impact on stereo image so would be good to come up with solution before Dirac as it's not something you can do with DSP.

Reactions: robbjoseph81

robbjoseph81

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Your house is beautiful. If I understand the setup you will have side reflections from a window. Other than blinds I'm not sure how to treat it. It could impact on stereo image so would be good to come up with solution before Dirac as it's not something you can do with DSP.
Thank you! I am so excited to move in. I have 4 appointments this week to talk to Window Treatment companies about my options for the house windows. Going to ask them if there are any sound dampening options. Know there are some nice wall art / sound correction options out there, but figure I will need to live in the space for a little bit before committing to one of them. Any input on ones that work well?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts