Hifi but also rib shattering bass

bigtuna

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Just back from latitude festival. Live music has been missed by us all. I forgot how great music sounds when played at loud volume. 18 months of neighbour friendly volume just doesn’t cut it.

Any suggestions for some speakers that can recreate some of the live music feel. I’m looking for a deep ‘feel it in your chest’ sound.

Currently have
Monitor Audio bronze bx2
Rega brio
Blue sound node 2i

Also, if you went to Latitude, what did you enjoy??

insider9

Hi and welcome! Wholeheartedly agree about volume and how it impacts on listening experience. Feel in your chest will come from volume and a high efficiency speaker with large driver should be able to do it. I once run 15" Yamaha PA speakers as a secondary pair for that very purpose. Not Hifi but very enjoyable. Shouldn't be too expensive either. I wouldn't consider anything less than 12" for this application. Good luck finding a right pair for you.

D

Deleted member 116933

If you want loud and live with monstrous bass you going to have to pony up a little more than what you have listed. But what you have listen is great sounding stuff

I’d be looking phantom reactors. Very powerful and can easily be hinder away

Sonos play 5s a stearo pair also have a great “live sound”

jjbomber

Just back from latitude festival. Live music has been missed by us all. I forgot how great music sounds when played at loud volume. 18 months of neighbour friendly volume just doesn’t cut it.

Any suggestions for some speakers that can recreate some of the live music feel. I’m looking for a deep ‘feel it in your chest’ sound.

Currently have
Monitor Audio bronze bx2
Rega brio
Blue sound node 2i

Welcome to the forum.

REL subwoofer, set up professionally by a real hi-fi retailer would be my suggestion. They can fine tune it to your chest-thumping requirements.

L.O.S

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Where does notion of subs come in when OP asks for live music feel? Just curious
It gives you a sense of that sub bass underpinning you only truly feel at live gigs. I'm not talking boomy over exaggerated bass. A sub brings an extra dimension without having to spend thousands on speakers and then most UK living rooms can't accommodate big floorstanders.
A sealed sub will happily sit in the corner of the room.

insider9

It gives you a sense of that sub bass underpinning you only truly feel at live gigs. I'm not talking boomy over exaggerated bass. A sub brings an extra dimension without having to spend thousands on speakers and then most UK living rooms can't accommodate big floorstanders.
A sealed sub will happily sit in the corner of the room.
The thing is the chest thumping frequencies are in mid bass not subs. So still not sure what gigs you've heard 20Hz at...

TrevC

Currently have
Monitor Audio bronze bx2
Rega brio
Blue sound node 2i

Get yourself a front firing Monolith. Incredible. http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith.htm

Last edited:
Way to compromise EVERYTHING else purely to get some stupid bass! The main speakers set back like that means there’ll be very little genuine soundstage going on, and it’ll probably artificially exaggerate the high and mid frequencies too - but I’m guessing they’re not bothered about anything remotely natural sounding.

I got over wobbling windows and doors back in my teenage years - seems some people never get over that sort of thing.

insider9

wasn't this the thinking behind Cerwin Vega speakers and the like? Forget hifi and imaging and soundstage, just get the most efficient speakers you can find with the largest bass drivers and get your socks blown off by a wall of sound.....
Pretty much! Volume is the answer. Easiest way to get volume is with high efficiency speakers. Perceived bass will be all you need when you go close to 100dB. At which point there's no need for a sub.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS