Living with it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
No issues here listening to adele 21, its not all wonderful there is a lot going on but,not.as bad as you say

I think shows up flaws not strengths as it should all be listenable with some of it being excellent

Glad your happy with your kit though, good for others to read about it

I am concerned that you think this. I did not know about this but see Vlad's post about the Adele recording. It sounds great in my car but not elsewhere.

Chris

I dont know what car you have - but cars can have better acoustics than domestic living rooms.

All i know is that adele 21 is not as nice sounding as 19 for the most part i think, but it should be listenable even if right on edge at times. i do know what you mean though.

Room acoustics big part of that - i.read a lot where people blame the disc but its not always the cause just trying point that out as its important help people focus on moving forward in getting better sound.

I only have the standard cd that was released 2011

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vlad, is it me or have you referenced the wrong version? Tallis Scholars are on Gimell, not Linn. And the Linn version is by Magnificat, not The Sixteen. :quest:

I merely sugested an alternative version which I find very well recorded and produced.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:
No issues here listening to adele 21, its not all wonderful there is a lot going on but,not.as bad as you say

I think shows up flaws not strengths as it should all be listenable with some of it being excellent

I am concerned that you think this. I did not know about this but see Vlad's post about the Adele recording. It sounds great in my car but not elsewhere.

Chris

I dont know what car you have - but cars can have better acoustics than domestic living rooms.

All i know is that adele 21 is not as nice sounding as 19 for the most part i think, but it should be listenable even if right on edge at times. i do know what you mean though.

Room acoustics big part of that - i.read a lot where people blame the disc but its not always the cause just trying point that out as its important help people focus on moving forward in getting better sound.

I've tried listening to it on headphones (HD650) and it's painful - no room acoustics involved there obviously and before you start questioning the source, good recordings sound fantastic. On my little Bose computer speakers it sounds 'nice' and in the car (Audi standard installation) it sounds better still - really nice in fact. Exactly what you would expect from a modern dynamically compressed recording.

I fail to understand how your system can at the same time be so revealing with good recordings yet can also mask the bad aspects of something like "21" - it makes no sense.

NB The track 'Set fire to the rain' has a DR value of 5 on the CD and 9 on the RAH live recording as downloaded from youtube. I watched this on TV a couple of years ago and the sound was fab, as you would expect from Toby Alington, despite the 'diffficult' acoustics of the Albert.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Adele - 21 (Unmasters) is a pirated version spread on the internet via torrents. I don't think there is an actual CD of it out there. I guess since everyone hated the mastering on the original, someone leaked the unmastered version without all the compression.

The production part still sucks big time and everything just sounds like diarrhea. Better than the original though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:

Chris

I've tried listening to it on headphones (HD650) and it's painful - no room acoustics involved there obviously and before you start questioning the source, good recordings sound fantastic. On my little Bose computer speakers it sounds 'nice' and in the car (Audi standard installation) it sounds better still - really nice in fact. Exactly what you would expect from a modern dynamically compressed recording.

I fail to understand how your system can at the same time be so revealing with good recordings yet can also mask the bad aspects of something like "21" - it makes no sense.

NB The track 'Set fire to the rain' has a DR value of 5 on the CD and 9 on the RAH live recording as downloaded from youtube. I watched this on TV a couple of years ago and the sound was fab, as you would expect from Toby Alington, despite the 'diffficult' acoustics of the Albert.

Take all that onboard - i can sit and listen to that song no probs on my main system - is a good test of the systems timing and composure - quire shouty in chorus but thats the intention i think but its with no distortion or not painful to listen to even at loud volumes.

Seriously no BS. not my fave album but i do go to it as a test cd. This.way off topic and is unfair to op - apologies and I will stop here :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Take all that onboard - i can sit and listen to that song no probs on my main system - is a good test of the systems timing and composure - quire shouty in chorus but thats the intention i think but its with no distortion or not painful to listen to even at loud volumes.

Seriously no BS. not my fave album but i do go to it as a test cd. This.way off topic and is unfair to op - apologies and I will stop here :)

*doorphone voice*

Uninstall JPlay and please try again.

TRENDING THREADS