Living with it

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a follow up to:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/an-audition

after a couple of months of using the system.

I have least to say about the PM8005. It handles everything I throw at it with aplomb and seems to my ears to be close to that ideal of being “a wire with gain”. Some were concerned that it wouldn’t be man enough to drive the Kef R700s but it seems to be capable of doing so at all the volume levels I have tried. Looks are a matter of taste but I have always liked Marantz boxes from a visual point of view. I really like the blue lights on this model, they somehow make it look purposeful. The remote is simple and easy to use (there is one that controls the amp and the CD player). I’ve not tried the tone controls, there are three, as I use the amp in “Source Direct” mode. It is built like a brick outhouse and gives the feeling that it will last a lifetime. Really nice build quality on a different level to the PM6004 it replaced.

The SA8005 is a real star. It produces Leona Lewis moments, you remember the first audition where Simon Cowell, obviously bored out of his shoes listening to people who can’t sing, suddenly looks up with £s in his eyes when she starts to sing. I keep doing that in all types of music. I’ve been revising intensively for an exam over the last three weeks and I kept looking up. I know it’s a hifi cliché but it does seem to extract much more from the CDs, stuff that I had forgotten was there. I give examples later. It does this when listening on both headphones and speakers. The build quality is the same as on the amp. The tray mechanism is really nice, it just oozes quality. It is very intolerant of the CD being in any way not centred; it just won’t work! The tray can’t be opened and closed from the remote which isn’t a problem but I’m not sure why they didn’t put it in. Sadly the player doesn’t have any blue lights! I have tried dimming the display as the manual says it may affect sound quality but I can’t hear any difference. I also don’t think there is much if any difference between SACD and CD. I think I might convince myself that SACD is a little better but I’m not sure that is true. I haven’t blind tested this.

I fell in love with the Kef R700s at the audition and if anything my affection has grown. My apartment is loft style with double height ceilings so there is a big volume to deal with. The Kefs just fill it with sound. What’s more they are equally effective at low volumes, which I have to use in the evenings when the neighbours are in, and higher volumes, which I can use in the daytime. Effortless is the word I would use, there is no strain or stress just music. I don’t listen to bass heavy music so I can’t say anything about their effectiveness in that area but for classical and 60s-70s pop / rock they are excellent. Of particular note is how well they produce voices which come across as being completely natural. Examples are given below. They look great, I have the white finish which fits in well with my minimalist apartment, and they are very solidly put together. I have two issues with them. They have made my headphones seem inadequate so I think I’m going to have to spend some more to bring my late night listening to the same level. They are also very, very heavy. So heavy in fact that with my bad back I can’t move them on my own so have not been able to experiment with toe-in etc. I’m going to have to get my rugby playing son-in-law to spend a day here so that I can play!

The three pieces of kit seems to work very well together. You’d expect nothing less from the Marantz boxes of course as they are meant to go together. I think I have been lucky to find very compatible speakers. I haven’t heard anything like as much kit as many posters here so I can’t claim that my expertise was instrumental in putting the system together.

I won’t bore you all with a comprehensive list of everything I have listened to so here are the highlights in no particular order:

· Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young – Deja vu – I hadn’t played this for a while and had come to feel that it was an album that seemed outstanding at the time but now was bland. What a revelation! Suddenly those vocals that were just one mishmash were separated into individual voices singing in harmony, individual instruments stood out to be blended together by my ears.

· Evita (original version) – For me only Julie Covington can sing Evita! Now the acid edge to her voice, which you either love or hate, comes through exactly correctly. A heads up moment came with the applause for Mogaldi in the cafe scene, it was like being there.

· Chopin Piano Concertos 1 & 2 – New SACD from Linn with Ingrid Fliter – Absolutely stunning piano sound

· Chopin Etudes – Pollini on DG – I’ve just put this on as I’m writing and it’s another heads up moment. Wonderful playing of course but the piano tone is absolutely true as you would hear it in a concert hall.

· Joan Baez – Joan Baez – I used this at the audition and it’s even better here. What it is is truly believable. I’ve not seen her live sadly but I imagine it would sound like this.

· Under Milk Wood – Original BBC recording with Richard Burton – Spellbinding - the spoken word is a real test in my opinion and a friend and I sat through it without moving a muscle. The voices were so real.

· Copland’s Lincoln Portrait – On Decca with Gregory Peck doing the narration – The orchestral sound is excellent with the timpani showing through very strongly as it should. The old actor’s mellifluous voice comes over very strongly as he speaks Lincoln’s great words.

· The Civil War, The Music and its sounds – Mercury Living Presence – I’ve been to a Civil War re-enactment in the US and this came over as very authentic. The narration in its echo laden ambience is great. The fifes and drums are excellent. The muskets are scary, I blinked when they went off and you can hear the bullets flying through the air. As for the cannon ... (I know I am sad listening to gun fire on a hifi!)

· Bellini – I Capuleti E I Montecchi – DG with Netrebko and Garancha - If you like opera you will own this set and if you don’t you should go and buy it. On this kit it is simply tremendous, my apartment turns into an opera house. Died and gone to heaven.

· Adele – 21 – Truly terrible! I have written before about how poor this recording is and if you want to hear it exposed for what it is this kit will do it. Some of it is like scraping fingernails down a blackboard.

· Tallis, Spem in Alium – Tallis Scholars – This was a great disappointment at the audition as I thought it was “muddled”. I still think it is! Matt thought it might be because they sing it quite quickly but I have since bought the version by The Sixteen on Coro and that is even faster but is not muddled. As it is a highly regarded version it remains a bit of a mystery.

So to summarise, I am extremely happy with the kit. The SA8005 is in my opinion outstanding and the speakers are wonderful. If you like the same type of music as me I would strongly recommend that you audition this kit. I know it’s very much in the mainstream but mainstream can be good.

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
21 was produced by Rick Rubin. Ruined for eternity.

220px-RickRubinSept09.jpg

Try locating his ears.

Frederick Jay "Rick" Rubin (born March 10, 1963) is an American record producer and former co-president of Columbia Records. Along with Russell Simmons, Rubin is the founder of Def Jam Records and also established American Recordings. His collaboration with Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Public Enemy and Run–D.M.C. helped to popularize hip hop music.

Rubin's biggest trademark as a producer has been a "stripped-down" sound, which involves eliminating production elements such as string sections, backup vocals, and reverb, and instead having naked vocals and bare instrumentation.

Not all artists who have worked with Rubin have enjoyed his production style. Although he and his band mates had some positive things to say about Rubin, Slipknot's lead singer Corey Taylor said that he only met Rubin four times during the entire recording process of Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) and that Rubin barely ever even showed up to the studio: "...we were being charged horrendous amounts of money. And for me, if you're going to produce something, you're ******* there. I don't care who you are.".[24] He also added: "The Rick Rubin of today is a thin, thin, thin shadow of the Rick Rubin that he was. He is overrated, he is overpaid, and I will never work with him again as long as I ******* live."

Since at least 1999, Rubin has been criticized by listeners for contributing to a phenomenon in music known as the loudness war, in which the dynamic range of recorded music is compressed and sometimes clipped in order to increase the general loudness. Albums produced by Rubin that have been criticized for such treatment include:

Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999) - Tim Anderson of The Guardian criticized its "excessive compression and distortion",[27] and Stylus Magazine said it suffered from so much digital clipping that "even non-audiophile consumers complained about it".[28]

Death Magnetic by Metallica (2008 ). Some fans have preferred the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic, even though it was released for gameplay and not listening, because it was not subject to the same compression.[29][30][31]

13 by Black Sabbath (2013) - Ben Ratliff of The New York Times said "The new Black Sabbath album was produced by Rick Rubin, who some believe to be a prime offender in the recent history of highly compressed and loudly mastered music — a major cause of ear fatigue...13 is mastered loudly, too... Your ears aren't given room to breathe".[32] Jon Hadusek of Consequence of Sound wrote, "Rubin...deserves disparagement for the way he mixed the audio levels, which are crushed by distortion and compression. Otherwise well-recorded songs are blemished, an affliction all too pervasive in the modern music industry".[33]

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good luck with your exams, and I'm truly delighted that you have found the sound that works for you.

Thank you for sharing

:cheers:

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Happy you are Happy , apart from Joan I dont know your music , or gunfire <S> , it's real good to read a happy post for once :dance: :cheers:

now if you happen to have a copy of "Farewell Angelina" anywhere , I'd spin that , in fact I think I will.

James

Great write up, Chris, many thanks! As noted, it is super to see someone thrilled with their gear. Love your music choices too.

My system is similar in that both amp and cdp are from one brand. I had a super Marantz system in the early nineties and it still works to this day, doing duty for my Dad. Would happily have one again; I've always liked them, from the old blue-lit receivers with gyro dials to the current lineup.

I still think that listening to piano and voice are the two most important for me to judge a system. I also used the Grieg lieder disc you listed in your earlier write up when I chose my current system. I recall it was Gramophone disc of the year, and my cousin wrote the translation, as it happens.

matthewpiano

An enjoyable read Chris, and so nice to hear that you are getting so much pleasure from your system. Your listening range is very similar to mine, and I own several of the recordings you mention, so it is very informative to read your thoughts. I've always been a fan of Marantz kit and find it to be a great musical companion, so I'm not entirely surprised by your findings. I wouldn't mind the 8005s myself at some point if they come down in price a bit.

Regarding Rick Rubin, I've got mixed feelings. I agree that the sound on the Adele album is very poor - actually to the point where I find it hard to listen to. I also find 'Death Magnetic' by Metallica to have very poor sound, and Rubin managed to be at least partly responsible for the horrible over saturated sound on Johnny Cash's recording of 'Hurt'. However, I think in general that Rubin managed to bring something very special out of Cash across the American Recordings albums and he did the same with Niel Diamond too.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No issues here listening to adele 21, its not all wonderful there is a lot going on but,not.as bad as you say

I think shows up flaws not strengths as it should all be listenable with some of it being excellent

Glad your happy with your kit though, good for others to read about it

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Only album that Rubin produced that was any good was Slayer - Reign in Blood, though that was lacking in bass. Black Sabbath - 13 is an abomination, song are are awful, Ozzy's voice is dreadful and Rubin's production is probably the worst thing I have heard.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
· Tallis, Spem in Alium – Tallis Scholars – This was a great disappointment at the audition as I thought it was “muddled”. I still think it is! Matt thought it might be because they sing it quite quickly but I have since bought the version by The Sixteen on Coro and that is even faster but is not muddled. As it is a highly regarded version it remains a bit of a mystery.

Chris, I have this version and I asure you it is superb. http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-thomas-tallis--spem-in-alium-sacd.aspx

D

Deleted member 108165

Excellent write-up Chris and I'm very happy for you.

My upgrade path was similar to yours, 6004 to Pearl Lite amp/cdp so I've got a rough idea of what you're talking about. As for loading the cd's perfectly centred - yep I get the same problem :). No tray open/close on cd the remote, strange, I wonder why they deleted this button as I've still got it on my cd remote.

Like you, I like the aesthetics of the current Marantz range, they also feel very good quality and are quite heavy too! As you can see by my sig I opted to go down the small PMC route for speakers as I don't have a large lounge space to fill so these are more than ample for my requirements and listening heaven.

If you're in the market for some new hp's try some Senn HD650's, but as with everything the importance of audtioning should never be underestimated, (even though I've bought ALL my equipment blind :O - I've been very lucky).

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:

I already have 5 versions so another, very expensive one, might be OTT.

Chris

Chris, I have this version and I asure you it is superb. http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-thomas-tallis--spem-in-alium-sacd.aspx

Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:

Vlad, is it me or have you referenced the wrong version? Tallis Scholars are on Gimell, not Linn. And the Linn version is by Magnificat, not The Sixteen. :quest:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. I auditioned the 8003 components a number of years ago and they were quite poor from my perspective. Glad to hear that things have gotten better a couple of generations on.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
No issues here listening to adele 21, its not all wonderful there is a lot going on but,not.as bad as you say

I think shows up flaws not strengths as it should all be listenable with some of it being excellent

I am concerned that you think this. I did not know about this but see Vlad's post about the Adele recording. It sounds great in my car but not elsewhere.

Chris

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
ellisdj said:

I am concerned that you think this. I did not know about this but see Vlad's post about the Adele recording. It sounds great in my car but not elsewhere.

Chris

i've said this before in this forum, the ONLY good (sound quality) Adele album is Live At the Royal Albert Hall that cames with the DVD or Bluray.

is the only I can hear, and it has a suberd audio quality!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts