Hi-Fi using a PC only

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a stereo setup for my computer in the near future, I'm looking for some insight as to whether I'm going down the right route.

Originally I was looking at getting either a Denon AVR3311 or an Onkyo TX-NR808 AV amp, and having both my PC and Skybox running through that, powering a pair of bookshelves only. The room I have is approx 4.5x4.5 and is a carpetted bedroom, so I have no room for a full 5.1 setup as of yet, and wouldn't be looking to upgrade for another 3 years until I move out.

Since going to various audio shops I've been swayed towards a hi-fi seperate system, as supposed to an AV amp.

I'm looking at getting an Asus Xonar STX Soundcard for my computer, running either a digital coax/spdif to the following:

REGA DAC

Arcam FMJ A18/Audiolab 8200A/Rotel RA1520

Kef XQ20, B&W CM5, Monitor Audio GS10

In terms of the above what would be the best choice between speakers/amps, I've read that the Arcam A18 isn't really upto much. Also is there any possibility with this route that I could get a subwoofer at a later date?

Thanks,

Chris

Paul.

For a music setup you can attach a subwoofer to pretty much anything. If you look for a sub with a 'High Level' connection, this will attach direct to your amps speaker cable posts. It will also blend with your speakers a lot better than a standard low level .1 connection.

A

Anonymous

Doesn't the DAC rely on the source output being decent quality?

Also in what respect do you mean bypass? I'm intent on connecting it via the soundcard using a coax/optical cable, and not via USB. Apologies if I'm missing your point, I've not got much experience with the use of a DAC/PC combo.

currently I only have an onboard soundcard, but the motherboard is an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe which outputs both Coax and Optical - my only reason for buying the soundcard realistically was due to it having an onboard headphone amp for my Sennheiser PC350s, I realise I could run them from the amp but I use alot of VOIP software and was wanting to use the coax/spidif for the DAC output and the headphone out/mic in for the headset I have.

idc

The soundcard has a DAC in it, so you either use it as your DAC and connect it with an analogue cable (Phono/RCA/jack) to your amp or if you use a DAC such as the Rega, it takes a digital signal from the PC, which will not go through the soundcard if you use USB so bypassing it, or at least not through its DAC if you use optical.

I mentioned this as you have mentioned getting an upgraded sound card and DAC. It is not worth doing both.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I also have an essense stx and a vdac both connected through spdif. Benefits?

1. the best possible signal it can feed the dac (I may not use the right technical jargon but you know what I mean)

2. headphone amp

3. other signal processing capabilities (equalizer to name just one) the card is offering the Dac is not

4. extra rca analogue outputs from the card - you may need them if you want to hook a 2nd amp for party duties (2 amps driving a pair of speakers each and connected to the same source, the card!)

5. input in your card for taking a signal from your tape deck (or other sources, i.e. record player, etc) to convert analog tracks to digital files given a sw for that purpose is installed in your PC (plenty of sw out there available for free)

and finaly the Asus xonar is really a fine piece of gear.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

having read up some more, I'm swaying towards getting the Asus Xonar STX and the REGA DAC - I'll use the soundcard for headphone purposes/VOIP, and I've had a look at the Hiface USB converter connecting that to the DAC as supposed to the optical cable.

In terms of the speakers/amps I've listed which ones would configuration would be best?

I'm looking to play varying types of music/games/films through them, in terms of music I listen to anything from Radiohead and The Eagles to Prodigy and Pendulum.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
I see what you mean if you want to the soundcard to do other stuff, but improve the digital signal, no it can't do that.

Um...but a decent deicated DAc can do that. Admittedly I'm very tired and need to read every word of the thread again so sorry if I'm missing summat.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
idc said:
I see what you mean if you want to the soundcard to do other stuff, but improve the digital signal, no it can't do that.

No, no, what I mean is the card delivers the signal as it is (in its optical wave form) and nothing else other than that.

A

Anonymous

as others have already said, a dac bypasses the onboard soundcard of the computer and basically becomes the soundcard. Having both on your pc will just be a waste of money unless you will use the soundcard for other things.

A

Anonymous

In terms of s/q there will be no difference then, but for my purpose i.e. late night gaming session the Asus Xonar would prove useful with it's in-built amp for my headset/mic.

Would there be a significant difference in running the sound from the computer through the soundcards coax out, or through a HiFace USB/Coax adaptor?

A

Anonymous

pc-->usb cable-->DAC is all you need. I dont think theres any difference in SQ between optical/coax/usb but i prefer the sound of usb with my dac. Others may say differently though.

A

Anonymous

But the USB connection is limited to 48Khz 16bit AFAIK, hence why I was looking to get the HiFace USB->Coax adapator - if i'm playing anything above that it won't work.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, If your going for the Xonar STX then don't bother with a separate external DAC as well. I have the Xonar (all be a lower model), I think this gives me 90% of the sound that the STX would give. It has swappable Op amp socket if you want to fiddle and generally sounds very good for very little money.

A

Anonymous

On what basis would you not go for an external DAC? I appreciate that buying the DAC negates the need for a fancy soundcard, but on the basis that I will be using the s/card purely for headphone use and the DAC either outputting from the coax or a HiFace USB>Coax, would the sound quality be noticeably different?

I'm debating the need for an external DAC entirely, could someone please explain whether it's a worth-while purchase? I am looking to connect only a Sky HD box and my computer to it via the above methods. When playing back Blu-rays etc will I be losing out by not having a DAC prior to the amp?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
AVI adm 9T? dac with optical for the two sources, speakers, amp and a dedicated sub if you want one at some point in the future? Or the Neutron 5 2.1 system with lots of digital inputs?

A

Anonymous

I'm really not looking towards an all-in-one solution to be honest, I'm more inclined to get seperates so I can upgrade as and when I need.

thanks for the input though

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
given that the sound card gives you other functionality, i wouldnt bother with the rega dac. for £500 (?) you may not notice much of an improvement over the soundcard.

maybe save the money, and use towards better speakers, this will probably give far better performance upgrade for the price. maybe even spend an extra £100 odd on a better soundcard instead?

or save the £500 altogether and use it to go on holiday or something else.

A

Anonymous

I've been told that the DAC would serve it's purpose when being used with some good quality speakers, hence why I was looking at getting the REGA DAC.

A

Anonymous

The rega dac will sound fantastic, im going to be buying one in the next month or two to upgrade my beresford. If you want something that can you can use headphones with why not look at a dac with a headphone amp like a beresford caiman or 7520? that way you will get the best of both worlds.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
cstones said:
On what basis would you not go for an external DAC? I appreciate that buying the DAC negates the need for a fancy soundcard, but on the basis that I will be using the s/card purely for headphone use and the DAC either outputting from the coax or a HiFace USB>Coax, would the sound quality be noticeably different?

I'm debating the need for an external DAC entirely, could someone please explain whether it's a worth-while purchase? I am looking to connect only a Sky HD box and my computer to it via the above methods. When playing back Blu-rays etc will I be losing out by not having a DAC prior to the amp?

Depends on what you primarily want the system to do. If it is for gaming mostly and some movies and music then something like the Logitech Z906 THX coupled with the Xonar will give you excellent performance for headphone and speaker output. I think the Xonar is a separate issue.

If you more interested in music I would change the % you want to spend on individual components. For example I wouldn't spend 1/3 on external DAC as well as getting the Xonar. I'd instead get the Xonar and then spend more on the amp and speakers.

Alternatively, get a decent £200-£300 external DAC, forget the Xonar and use onboard or cheap card but then spend the rest on the amp and speakers/stands. You can output your files via USB or optical/coaxial depending on soundcard anyway. DACs such as the Firestone Spitfire Mk2, Beresford models, CA DacMagic etc would be good to audition.

Other things to consider. Not a lot of point in spending a great deal if your PC is noisy with lots of fans etc. To make mine good for music replay I replaced the GPU with a silent version. How far away will your PC be from the amp/speakers?

I like the idea of the all in one AVI models

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
By the way the Asus Xonar STX has quality analogue outputs for music replay which connect straight to the amplifier via a normal phono 2 phono 2 stereo cable. Therefore you don't need an external DAC and a quality headphone output is included in the card, as you know.

RossTT

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
cstones said:
I've been told that the DAC would serve it's purpose when being used with some good quality speakers, hence why I was looking at getting the REGA DAC.

Asus Xonar STX is a VERY good sound card. You can also upgrade the op-amps to match you speakers and preferences. I would recommend that you first buy the card, connect it through its RCA connectors and listen like this for a while. Then get whatever DAC (with the option to return) and test it against the card. I am almost positive you will return the DAC. Use the money towards better speakers and/or dedicated stereo amp.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
There are other DAC/heaphone combos such as the Firestone Fubar 4 and plus version as well as the Beresfords.

Out of the amps you have listed I would look at the Rotel RA1520 with some B&W's. There are other amps such as the NAD C356BEE and CREEK EVO 2 which are similar prices to the ones you mention. Have you allowed for stands in your budget?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts