help with center speaker

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi..

I've only just started building a mid range home cinema/hi fi set up and need some help with the centre speaker... im rocking the denon avr4000x amp which is more than capable for my needs and i have to say im impressed with the price, left and right are wharfdale diamond 122's again, seem to have a lot of bang for the buck and the back 4 chanels are handled by (ill say it fast cause i know what everyones gunna say! lol!!) a bose acoustimas 10 system, in my defence id like to point out i picked it up for £300 and for the rear and surround it does a good job...

Obviously my main concern is to get the center sorted, im willing to spend £500 on something really special but would rather hit the £300-400 bracket... then my next purchase once ive saved a few more pennies will be to relegate the acoustimas bass unit to sub 2 and buy a decent main sub but that will be after ive convinced my beautiful and charming wife we REALLY need one... :pray:

im looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

thanks in advance

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Get the matching Wharfedale DIamond centre (102C i believe) - simples :)

Much better to get a centre that is tonally matched to your front LR's (ie from the same manufacturer, and ideally from the same range) than spend more money on another brand.

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
:facepalm: Thanks for that!! I didn't realise wharfdale did a matching center and my retailer doesn't list it at all... I just hadnt thought to search specifically for a wfd diamond center.. Ive called my retailer to order one and if they cant do it will source one somewhere else.. Thanks again!

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
bael said:
:facepalm: Thanks for that!! I didn't realise wharfdale did a matching center and my retailer doesn't list it at all... I just hadnt thought to search specifically for a wfd diamond center.. Ive called my retailer to order one and if they cant do it will source one somewhere else.. Thanks again!

Wharfedale centres seem to be a bit rare, the ones to match your fronts are big if you have the room go for it.

AmigaNut

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually ive just had a look at the dimensions and think my tv would sit on it quite nicely... Would that be a good idea or typical schoolboy error as i suspect?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
bael said:
Actually ive just had a look at the dimensions and think my tv would sit on it quite nicely... Would that be a good idea or typical schoolboy error as i suspect?

I imagine it could well be a schoolboy error :shifty: but I had my previous tv sitting on the centre speaker for years without any perceptible problems. Just make sure the tv is stable.

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... Maybe ill source a bit of oak and fashion a shelf, i suppose that raises the question of position.. Which is better, over or under or doesn't it really matter as long as it is central?

also looking forward a few months its been suggested i should take a look at rel subs, the blurb on the website looks impressive but then it would... I dont suppose anyones had a look at them and can offer thoughts?

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... Maybe ill source a bit of oak and fashion a shelf, i suppose that raises the question of position.. Which is better, over or under or doesn't it really matter as long as it is central?

also looking forward a few months its been suggested i should take a look at rel subs, the blurb on the website looks impressive but then it would... I dont suppose anyones had a look at them and can offer thoughts?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Central to the tv and central to the front LR's... Plus, ideally at the same height as your front LR's with all tweeters at ear height when seated in your favourite viewing position. This isn't always practical - one of the best bits of advice of picked up on this forum was that if (for example) your centre speaker is lower than ear height (as is mine) is to angle the centre speaker up slightly so it is firing directly towards your listening position. So in my case, I have a thin strip of wood about an inch high under the front of my centre speaker which puts it on an angle of about 10 degrees or so. This made a huge difference for very little effort or cost.

Other forum members should be able to give you a less biased view than myself on subs - I have a couple of REL Strata 5's (one for AV, one for hi-fi) and am more than happy with them. First decision when it comes to subs (or anything I guess!) is to decide a budget... I would highly recommend going the 2nd hand route too if you are comfortable doing so - many a bargain to be had! Picked up one of my Strata 5's off ebay just before Christmas for less than £200 :)

bael

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
thanks for that! There's a lot of things for me to ponder over with positioning and heights etc.. Right now in not really committed to any positioning except the lr's have to go on the unit next to the telly but i can manage some space between each speaker and the tv itself.. As for the sub I'm not overly worried about price right now, i want to see what i can manage within a reasonable budget but dont want to hamstring myself if there's something really special i can pick up... I guess for a sub id be very reluctant to spend over £7-800 but like i said in more interested in what it brings to the party!! That said in definitely not opposed to secondhand as long as its modern second hand and not 10 years old!! Lol!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts