Help! Sony 46HX853 or Panasonic TX-PGT50??

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello!

So, I have never had a plasma, and the Mrs does not like the monolithic design of the Sony which led me to research some more,mthus discovering the GT50.

Asuming she gets over the design issue, and that either screen size will do (currently have a 40')' which is the better TV?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nick

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
Hello!

So, I have never had a plasma, and the Mrs does not like the monolithic design of the Sony which led me to research some more,mthus discovering the GT50.

Asuming she gets over the design issue, and that either screen size will do (currently have a 40')' which is the better TV?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nick

The Panasonic has better black levels. That's where my money went.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'd opt for the Panasonic, but as I've stated elsewhere, I have a strong bias toward plasma rather than LCD/LED televisions. If you watch in a room with a lot of sunlight, however, the Sony might be better suited to your needs.

The standard forum response is that you should audition both televisions. Yourself and wife can then get a much better sense of which you prefer in terms of picture, sound, design, etc...

A

Anonymous

I currentley have a Panasonic 42PZ70 plasma and I'm also looking out to buy the GT50.

It's an older plasma (5y) but I'm still pleased with it.

My first flatscreen was an Lg lcd, and at the time I thougt the most of it. But when I bought the Panasonic, the Lg wasn't worth a dime anymore.

I did some research before buying the Panasonic and it was due to the 5* review of What Hifi, and other quality reviews that I bought the model.

I'm a huge plasma fan and I can't say anything bad about it. I really like the black levels and plasma is easy on the eyes.

I also owned a Panasonic TX-P46S20 but it was a rather cheap model and it could not better my old plasma, so I sold it to a friend.

The lesson that I learned from this was, never buy one of the cheaper models!

The ST50 is also highly recommended by expert reviews, but I would rather buy the GT50.

The VT50 would even be nicer, but it's also above my budget. :cry:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just to draw on further user experiences of the GT50, have you had any issues with vertical stripes on the right hand side of the screen during panning shots with blocks of solid colour (also known as the dirty screen effect)? This is the only reason I'm dithering over a 50GT50 purchase.

Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Just to draw on further user experiences of the GT50, have you had any issues with vertical stripes on the right hand side of the screen during panning shots with blocks of solid colour (also known as the dirty screen effect)? This is the only reason I'm dithering over a 50GT50 purchase.

Many thanks.

I definitely would not dither for that reason it is a kick arse TV, it is quality and money really well spent. Biggest jump I have ever seen in TV performance from previous generations. I watch Sky Sports news a lot and this did result in a line going down the screen and my first one was buzzing on white colours on the screen, so I had it replaced and the next one was buzzing as soon as I put the mains on, so I had that replaced too (good old John Lewis). But I would still happily have either of the first two back because of the performance.

The TV is near perfection for me - I don't know how it could get much better. I love the GT50.
smiley-kiss.gif
And seeing the VT50 made me even happier. I nearly bought two because of how good it is. TVs this good are a rare breed. Even with slight line down the screen it only showed on certain football matches, the rest of the time I could not see it. A must buy TV. :star:

D

Deleted member 2457

I bought the 50VT30 too for another room and the jump on the GT50 was seriously big! The VT30 went straight back. I could not believe how big jump in performance it was.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you do a search of Panasonic 50gt50 on YouTube I have made several clips on the gt50. I go under the name MrMatt.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
If you do a search of Panasonic 50gt50 on YouTube I have made several clips on the gt50. I go under the name MrMatt.
smiley-smile.gif

So you're a fan of Iron Maiden and Ryan Gosling!

I'm going to audition the 50GT50 and 55ST50 next week. Unfortunately, no store near me stocks ST50 and GT50 models, so a side-by-side comparison is impossible. There's little difference price-wise, so if performance is very similar, I'll opt for the ST and the bigger screen...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

So you're a fan of Iron Maiden and Ryan Gosling!

I'm going to audition the 50GT50 and 55ST50 next week. Unfortunately, no store near me stocks ST50 and GT50 models, so a side-by-side comparison is impossible. There's little difference price-wise, so if performance is very similar, I'll opt for the ST and the bigger screen...

smiley-smile.gif
I did one of Slash and Civil War too and Kick-Ass but it would not let me show that one. That one for me is where I can really see how similar the GT50 is to the Pioneer lx5090, they perform almost identical. I can't really comment on the ST50 because I have never owned I have just read all the reviews and demoed briefly in shops. The GT50 really is a big jump when you get it home. Steve withers of AV said he would be happy with either the GT or his Pioneer lx5090 and I can see why. Make sure you take your own Blu-rays with you when you demo. And the TV settings check that it is okay for you.

With the ST I have heard people say it is better than the VT30, know for sure the GT 50 is a massive jump from the VT30. Tough call because 55 inches is such a great size, I think with me going from the lx 5090 to the gt 50 the size of the screen didn't jump out as much, with you going from 42 inch the GT 50 that would be a much bigger jump and you will really notice it. I wouldn't like to make the decision. I can't comment on any issues on the ST50, the GT50 on the other hand I have seen four at close hand ( including the shop one), and you definitely don't have to worry about any issues.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Gel. I'll have to let my eyes decide when I audition.

One last question... have you watched any 3D content on the GT50? I'm interested to know how bright the screen seems under normal viewing conditions (using the professional modes that enable full calibration)? I've heard 3D images can be a little dim in professional picture modes. Much like my V20, peak luminance is capped on the GT and VT50. It'll be difficult to judge 3D performance under shop lighting, so a user account would be really useful.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:

One last question... have you watched any 3D content on the GT50? I'm interested to know how bright the screen seems under normal viewing conditions (using the professional modes that enable full calibration)? I've heard 3D images can be a little dim in professional picture modes. Much like my V20, peak luminance is capped on the GT and VT50. It'll be difficult to judge 3D performance under shop lighting, so a user account would be really useful.

No probs. Nope I have not seen any 3D content so can't comment, sorry. I have read reviews on the ST50 though which do mention in both 3D and 2D images don't look nearly as bright as can be found on LCD rivals. And this might make a ST50 a considered purchase for someone who watches TV in a very bright room. So basically saying 3D pictures in particular can look dark.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
strapped for cash said:

No probs. Nope I have not seen any 3D content so can't comment, sorry. I have read reviews on the ST50 though which do mention in both 3D and 2D images don't look nearly as bright as can be found on LCD rivals. And this might make a ST50 a considered purchase for someone who watches TV in a very bright room. So basically saying 3D pictures in particular can look dark.

The GT is a big jump on the V20 performance especially out of the box. The gt50 is definitely brighter and I would say even brighter than a Pioneer which is saying something. This is one area in 2D the Panasonic has got spot on. With the first Panasonic I had I noticed a jump in performance in the dark when I shut the curtains, the performance level really jumped again. But on the one I have now I have found myself not worrying if I close the curtains or not at night the performance still is excellent.

D

Deleted member 2457

The VT50 I have heard is a terrific 3D performer at 55 inches. Delivering much more brightness and punchier, more natural colours than previous generations. And this helps with the overall 3D picture. On the 65 inch VT50 I have heard there is some loss of brightness in 3D, but images remain punchy.

D

Deleted member 2457

One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch. For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop, on the 50 inch you can just see he is crying but not the tear drop. Just little things like that you could look out for. ;)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Only had my GT50 a few days, been using true cinema mode, Blu Rays look fantastic!

I was about to go for an ST50 but had a little niggle then on the day I got it just go a 42" GT50!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Based on what I've read, the GT50 produces a brighter image that the VT in 2D and 3D, probably because the VT has the Infinite Black Ultra filter. I'll have to pay close attention to light output when auditioning the 50GT50 and 55ST50.

Glad you're both enjoying your new televisions!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch. For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop

Funny you mention that, i noticed it today on my tv too
smiley-laughing.gif
best i have ever seen Avatar (SO FAR). I have only had the tv 1 day & thought i would use it as a reference Blu-ray after having callibrated the telly. I did seriously consider the Panasonic GT50 range before my purchase of the Sony (I COMPARED THEM SIDE BY SIDE AT JOHN LEWIS IN MILTON KEYNES) & the 3 main things that pursuaded me was VFM, picture quality & the saving on electricity. Ok the picture quality might not be quite as good, but for the difference (NOT A LOT) i am definately very happy.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch. For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop, on the 50 inch you can just see he is crying but not the tear drop. Just little things like that you could look out for. ;)

Confused here.

With 1:1 pixel mapping, how can there be more content on a larger sized screen as opposed to a smaller one?

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
gel said:

Confused here.

With 1:1 pixel mapping, how can there be more content on a larger sized screen as opposed to a smaller one?

Good question - don't know. But I have heard another person talking about this on AV, and when I watch it on the GT 50, I can see him crying but I don't see the tear drop, on the 55 inch Panasonic I do. Don't know the answer to the question but it does make me crave a bigger screen a bit. Mind you I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing. The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing. The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

I've got tickets for the final on Monday. Really hoping it's Murray vs. Djokovic. Djokovic vs. Federer would be great as well.

Sorry, probably derailing the thread. I had tickets last year for a group match, but after Murray pulled out injured we ended up watching Berdych vs. Tipsarevic. They're both fantastic players, but it felt a bit anticlimactic, really...

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I wasn’t querying the PQ of your telly! lol.

With the TV set as follows:- Aspect Ratio: 16:9; Overscan: Off; Orbiter: Off, and with the BDP outputting at 1080p resolution, hopefully you can see the point of my question.

TRENDING THREADS