Help on speaker conection?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is the right place for this??? To dip the toe in and make temporary use of an old analog amp for a while . . . All my Internet connections are hard wire via Virgin, no router.

The 'active speakers' I'm using at the moment take an output from the sound card on the back of the computer as a 'mini jack' I presume its 3.5mm? I have seen reference on this site.

My question, the old amp I wish to use temporarily has old style 'phone plug' input, is there an adapter 'Y' type lead available that I can plug into this mini jack or can I use one of the USB sockets??? Obviously I have conventional phono cables that I can run to the amp.

Another question, I'm still considering a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers, have about a day to decide? I was going to ask whats the input connection . . . Just had a look at YouTube, it shows a Mini Jack to phono 'Y' lead.

So can you just confirm, have I answered my own question? The appropriate phono 'Y' lead is readily available in the UK? . . . Is it a good idea, 'loss of sound quality?, or, go for it and stop being an old Audiophile . . . !

CJSF

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for being **** with my spelling comment in another thread
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

You can get a mini jack to phono Y lead like the one you saw (I've used them from iPod and various portable music players into a standard stereo amp). As its only temporary you can probably pick up a cheap one.

Not sure about USB. If you were to get into a whole lot of faffing about I suppose you could connect up a USB digital-analogue converter and then use standard phono cables to connect it to your amp.

The audioengine a5 seem to use the same minijack connection you are already using

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5#tech-stuff

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Apologies for being **** with my spelling comment in another thread
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

You can get a mini jack to phono Y lead like the one you saw (I've used them from iPod and various portable music players into a standard stereo amp). As its only temporary you can probably pick up a cheap one.

Not sure about USB. If you were to get into a whole lot of faffing about I suppose you could connect up a USB digital-analogue converter and then use standard phono cables to connect it to your amp.

The audioengine a5 seem to use the same minijack connection you are already using

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5#tech-stuff

Thanks ID, dont worry about the spelling mate . . . I can hold my own!!! lol.

I have tracked down a solid adaptor from; 'iCompInkCarteidge', £0.95, free delivery!! . . . no cable tails to degrade the sound? Mmm, being a bit of an Audiophile again ain't I? Old habits die hard, lol.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS