Help me to decide between B&W 684s and MA RX-6s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Need help on deciding between B&W 684s and MA RX-6s for a Home Theatre setup. I will be upgrading from small bookshelves, and will be buying the LCR combination first. The AVR will be a Denon 1610, and usage will be a mix of Music / Movies and Gaming.

Can anyone who has owned both of these speakers comment on their performance? Is there a link to any comparitive reviews on these two speakers?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Best thing to do is demo the speakers. Any Hifi retailer will be happy to allow you to listen to them. People will advise you based on their personal preference, so just becasue i may like one brand does not necessarily mean you will like it too. Both these speakers sound very different to each other. It depends on those ears of yours :) personally im a B&W fan, I found the 684's to be great and better sounding than the Rx6, which seemed to lack that mid range for me and didnt deliver a thrilling experiecne with movies. But again thats my ears, for you it could be different. Take your AV with you, im not sure many have that denon in stock these days. Give them a demo, its great fun to simply admire them in action!

A

Anonymous

I did listen to them, and felt that the Monitor RX-6s sounded much better. My wife concurred with that. However, the demo was at two different dealers with different electronics and acoustic environments. Considering this and the awesome reputation of B&W, I want to make sure that I am not making a hasty decision. Would be nice to know if there are others before me who chose MA RX-6s over the B&W 684s and why they made that choice.

A

Anonymous

If you've found the MA's better sounding under two very different circumstances it would be reasonably safe to assume you'd be happier with the MA's in your home than with the B&W speakers. So in essence you've already answered your question.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Of course, there will be loads that loved one over the other. It will be an endless debate. Go have a listen before you decide.

But if you really did like the RX6 that much then go for them. They are still a great sounding speaker and hard to beat at that price.

Let us know what you decide :)

A

Anonymous

I went back yesterday and listened to the B&W 684s at another dealer, and the MA RX-6s still sounded better. This is what I listended to yesterday.

1. Dynaudio 2/6
2. MA TX-6
3. B&W 683
4. KEF Q500

The Dynaudio 2/6s and the MA RX-6s clearly stood out from the other two in terms of clarity and seperation of instruments. A friend who was with me also felt the same. The Dynaudios are a bit out of my budget when i add the cost of the stands, and a full 5.1 package is very expensive indeed.

So, it looks like I will be placing my order this weekend unless someone tells me something real bad about the RX-6s :)

A

Anonymous

I went back with a friend and listened to the following.

1. Dynaudio 2/6
2. MA RX-6
3. B&W 684
4. KEF Q500

The Dynaudio and the MAs stood out from the rest. This was the verdict from a friend who came along. The Dynaudio is out of my budget when I add the stands, and a full 5.1 setup is much more expensive than the MA.

So, I will be placing an order for a pair RX-6s and RX centre this weekend unless someone has something real bad to say about the RX-6 :)

Slightly OT:

Is the RX centre a good match for the RX6s or shall I go for a third RX6 for the centre?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts