Help me compare some speakers I like the look of

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hiyya I'm using a Marantz PM6003 ampto power some Monitor Audio S1 speakers and they are really great but I'm looking for more bass. I'm getting a huge bass kick for my dance and drum n bass music upto a certain volume but feel the speakers aren't able to vibrate my eyeballs enough.

My source is spotify premium / flac files through a Asus Xonar ST soundcard with phono cables (Chord Crimson Plus)

I've been looking at Monitor Audio Silver RX2

Also I've found the Mission 753 Freedom speakers which seem like they would SLAM out some serious quality sound

Or An older pair like Monitor Audio S8 which look pretty nice too bigger daddy version of what I've got.

All of these started out in similar price ranges and are obtainable for £250-£500.

Sevenoaks insist the Monitor Audio speakers are probably my best bet but I'm open to opinion.

A

Anonymous

the rx2's have an eight inch driver, should be good for bass, i wouldn't be placing them too close to a wall though.

you may want to check out these acoustic energy radience 3 floorstanders too? they are a little over budget at £592, they're manufacturer refurbs, their rrp is £1500, only a one month guarantee mind, i've never heard them, but they look like they're pretty bassy to me :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even if you do get larger speakers that are far more capable in the bass area, you'll then need an amplifier that can control that extra bass, and provide enough current in order for the larger drive units to sound dynamic enough. Underpower a speaker and you'll be left with dull, slow bass. Overpower a speaker and you'll see what it's really capable of.

The 753's aren't a heavy bass speaker, but were capable of decent slam, but only with a powerful enough amp - I can vouch for their performance with an Audiolab 8000c/8000p pre/power amplifier. On the end of your 6003, they'll sound 'ok'.

bemaniac said:
Hiyya I'm using a Marantz PM6003 ampto power some Monitor Audio S1 speakers and they are really great but I'm looking for more bass. I'm getting a huge bass kick for my dance and drum n bass music upto a certain volume but feel the speakers aren't able to vibrate my eyeballs enough.

My source is spotify premium / flac files through a Asus Xonar ST soundcard with phono cables (Chord Crimson Plus)

I've been looking at Monitor Audio Silver RX2

Also I've found the Mission 753 Freedom speakers which seem like they would SLAM out some serious quality sound

Or An older pair like Monitor Audio S8 which look pretty nice too bigger daddy version of what I've got.

All of these started out in similar price ranges and are obtainable for £250-£500.

Sevenoaks insist the Monitor Audio speakers are probably my best bet but I'm open to opinion.

Hi bemaniac

The S8's will easily build on the strenghts of your S1's. Thereafter a change of amp should be next on the list. A NAD such as the C370 will be the icing on the cake.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 would be worth a shot. The Marantz will drive them fine.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have become excited at the thought of owning a pair of Kefs new Q500 floorstanders and for £700 new from my local sevenoaks I'm thinking of just saving up for a couple months and getting those. Some of the above suggestions are fantastic too thanks guys! If anyone can chip in with a suggestion better than the Q500 for the same money then I'll have a good look :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts