Help DVD or PS3 ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Very much a newbie, but absolutely love my new Panasonic TH37PX70 and looking for a good bit of kit to go with it.

I really want to know if a PS3 or Panasonic DMP-BD30 would be worthy investment as opposed to a non Blue ray DVD player instead.

I would use the PS3 for gaming a little, but will be mainly watching DVD's ( Viera link on the Panasonics would be handy)

The Plasma TV is not full HD so would I see the difference between Blue ray and a regular DVD player.

Also any recommendations on HD leads too?

Thankyou for any advice....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I can obviously only give you my opinion, but my answer is yes. I sit about 9 feet away from my 42" HD Ready (not Full HD) set and use my PS3 for both DVDs and Blu-Rays. Upscaled DVDs look great, but Blu-Rays are just better. No question.

So, if you want to do some gaming and give Blu-Ray a try, I'd go for the PS3 - this will also upscale your DVDs very well. If you just want Blu-Ray and upscaled DVDs, go for the Panasonic. And if you only want upscaled DVDs, I'd go for a dedicated upscaler like the Marantz DV7001 or, if you want cheaper, perhaps one of the old Toshiba EP-30 HD-DVD players if you can still find one!

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, I am swinging towards the PS3.

Would you upgrade the HD lead and if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I was lucky enough for the missus to buy me (us!) a PS3 for me birthday. Got a HDMI cable and was absolutely blown away by the quallity of even a standard DVD. A blu-ray was even more mind blowing. Before the PS3 I never appreciated how good our Panny PX could be!

A

Anonymous

My little input ps3 good value for money bluray and a bit of gaming...

A

Anonymous

My pennys worth! Ive got a denon 2930 and a ps3 and when it comes to SD dvd there's very little difference. i think this speakes volumes for the ps3. And in fairness since one of the recent firmware updates there isnt a big differnce with music playback, the denon does have the edge which is the only reason i still have it but its marginal.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="garethwd"]My pennys worth! Ive got a denon 2930 and a ps3 and when it comes to SD dvd there's very little difference. i think this speakes volumes for the ps3. And in fairness since one of the recent firmware updates there isnt a big differnce with music playback, the denon does have the edge which is the only reason i still have it but its marginal.[/quote]

Interesting to hear that PS3 music playback has improved. I'm really glad to hear it as I had kind of abandoned it for music playback and had been considering a standalone deck - which would have given me a headache trying to fit it in my current AV cabinet. I can't wait to check it out again. Thanks for the info Gareth.

TRENDING THREADS