Is my DVD player multi-region or not?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The region management information for my Panasonic DMP-BDT700 (3 years old) says: The unit can play back BD-Video/DVD-Video discs of the following regions codes, including 'ALL' .. and there follows a couple of diagrammatic examples, one with the letter 'B' within a square and the other with the numeral '2' within a hexagon.

For 'ALL' I was assuming that's the same as Region '0' or 'Region Free' but, just to be sure, I sent an email to Panasonic asking them the same question as in this thread heading. They replied: In response, I would like to inform you that the unit plays DVD region 2 and region "ALL" discs only. I would like to inform you that region "ALL" is a specific region, despite the fact that it's name may be misleading. Region 1 discs will not be played by the unit.

I've found Panasonic's technical support to be very helpful in the past, but their reply has potentially thrown a spanner in the works, as I'm on the verge of purchasing a Region 1 DVD from outside the UK.

If you yourself had a player that was designated 'ALL', wouldn't you assume, as I did, that it was essentially 'Region Free'? Confirmation and/or clarification from anyone in the know would be greatly appreciated.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Region "All" are discs that the producer of the disc wishes to be playable in all players, so all players can play them. Your player cannot play region 1.

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
You need this to make your existing player multiregion for DVDs.

Thanks bigboss, this looks interesting, although the illustration makes it look a bit 'Heath Robinson' around the button/green light area. He seems to have sold a helluva lot of them .. do you know anybody who's used one? Presumably, with that many sold, it won't cause damage to any of the delicate circuitry within the player?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts