sound quality on blue ray and dvd

jim761

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have a question for everyone I have noticed lately that the dialogue from films on blue ray or dvd is pretty poor .Here are some films that the dialogue was down on my system (Denon avr2200w denon tranport blue ray player) Captain america/San Andreas/fast and furious 7/ interstellar/big game/spooks/child44, to name a few the sound for the explosions are fine most the time its when they go to speak that you really struggle hear whats been said.Has any one else noticed this or could it be my set up would apperciate any help on this as it is spoiling enjoyment of the films thanks. jim761

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This isn't a recent thing, as it's been going on for years/decades. Partly down to the mixers not doing their job properly. It can also depend on your set up, and the quality of the centre channel. Can you post up any details regarding crossover frequency, and what speakers you have?

You are free to up the centre channel level to your preferred level. I do find some films like a hotter centre channel level than others. Having said that, don't up it too much as you'll lose soundstage, making it sound more "mono", and cantered around the centre channel.

jim761

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi David thanks for your reply went and checked my settings so here they are first my speakers are B&W front Dm 603 S2 centre CC6 S2 Rears DM 601 S2. denon settings are as follows cinemw EQ-off centre spread on - speaker config front large centre large rears small ,speaker crossover All 80HZ LFE 250HZ .the distance that I am seated is around 10-12 feet from TV and centre speaker set at 3.0m with the rest at around 3.2-3m hope this helps you evaluate where I could better set up my system thanks jim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 80Hz crossover point will only apply to speakers set to small - change your centre to small and see how you get on then. As it'll no longer be subject to large cone excursions due to low bass, it should reproduce it's more limited frequency range more clearly, particularly midrange.

If that doesn't help, I'd still recommend doing it anyway, but if not, "Centre Spread" may not be helping things. This is sharing the centre information with the front left and right speakers, which may help in some situations, but not in others. Worth turning it off and seeing how you get on.

jim761

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi David thanks for the advice ,I have now changed the settings and on my 10 minute test the surrond is much more open and the dialogue seems abit clearer will let how I get on with a listen to more films thanks again jim

jim761

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi bigboss the answer is no I dont have subwoofer as the B&W 603 s2 are pretty powerful the room ,they still shake the room and I have concret floors.

jim761 said:
Hi bigboss the answer is no I dont have subwoofer as the B&W 603 s2 are pretty powerful the room ,they still shake the room and I have concret floors.
Your speakers only go as low as 48Hz, so you are missing out on a significant LFE in your setup. Having a decent subwoofer has 2 advantages:

1) You will be able to capture the 20Hz (or lower) to 48Hz frequency. Lower frequencies make you "feel" the bass more.

2) Setting all speakers to small with a specific crossover point will allow the speakers to perform better with higher frequencies, including dialogue, and let the subwoofer do what it's best for.

Simply arrange a home demo of a good subwoofer and hear the difference.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
jim761 said:
Your speakers only go as low as 48Hz, so you are missing out on a significant LFE in your setup. Having a decent subwoofer has 2 advantages:

1) You will be able to capture the 20Hz (or lower) to 48Hz frequency. Lower frequencies make you "feel" the bass more.

2) Setting all speakers to small with a specific crossover point will allow the speakers to perform better with higher frequencies, including dialogue, and let the subwoofer do what it's best for.

Who can you arrange a home demo with, BB? And how much does it cost? Cheers.

jim761

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi bigboss I have never given subwoofer much thought due to lack of room,as I also have a separate rack for hi fi which is Arcam cd 7 Arcam amp 9 and power amp 9 with acustic energy floor stand speakers maybe some time in the future when the cinema sets are as good with music would buy a sub .thanks for the info .jim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jim761 said:
Hi bigboss I have never given subwoofer much thought due to lack of room,as I also have a separate rack for hi fi which is Arcam cd 7 Arcam amp 9 and power amp 9 with acustic energy floor stand speakers maybe some time in the future when the cinema sets are as good with music would buy a sub .thanks for the info .jim
Define "cinema sets", and your budget preference for you to achieve equal music and movies...

gel said:
bigboss said:
jim761 said:

Who can you arrange a home demo with, BB?  And how much does it cost?  Cheers.
It depends on the kind of relationship you develop with your local dealer, and what agreement they have in place.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
jim761 said:

Who can you arrange a home demo with, BB? And how much does it cost? Cheers.
It depends on the kind of relationship you develop with your local dealer, and what agreement they have in place.
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts