universal blu ray player with good value for money and attention to audio

carcarlo

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Due to space limitation, I'm searching for a good universal player that I can use to read cd as well as DVD/Blurays. I just got a rotel-ra11 amp and MA BX2 speakers at a good price thus I am not going to use HDMI for audio. TV is relatively unexpensive Panasonic TX-P42s30E, therefore it is useless to pay a lot for hi-end blue-ray players with excellent video specs.

I would like to spend around 300 EURO although it really depends on the presence of a huge difference between 200 euro and 400 euro models.

Here are some models that fit my budget (Sony BDP-S790 at 160euro , Pioneer BDP-450 at 230 euro, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 at 300 euro) and some models that are within reach (Sony BDP-A6000 at 340 euro, Yamaha BD-A1020 380; Denon DBT-1713UD at 370 euro, Marantz UD5007 at 440 euro riconditioned).

What would you suggest? Spend a little more to get the Denon/Marantz entry level is going to change drastically the sound quality compared, for example to the Pioneer?

I was going for the Pioneer, which seems to be a good product (I think the old LX55 has been discontinued, at least in Italy), although the lack of built-in WI-FI may be an issue. Also, giving that the ROTEL has a good built-in DAC, do I really need a standard RCA audio output? I guess no but want to be sure.

Ciao

jjbomber

If it was me, I would go with the Sony at 160euro and budget another 40 euro for a decent digital cable. I would use the DAC in the Rotel. If you like the Pioneer, then you should go with that one. Make sure you set the DVDs to stereo 2-channel output for the Rotel to decode.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The panasonic bdt 500 is not a universial player. I own one, it does not play copys RW/R CDs or copy DVDs - it does have a full array for sound options but is limited to original software only (To me the word universial means the player plays everything like my old pioneer 565 could) even straight copys from a CD to CD on my NAD c660 recorder that work in everything else from xbox to car don't work....... :mad:

It says it can in the manual too.....

abacus

Thompsonuxb said:
The panasonic bdt 500 is not a universial player. I own one, it does not play copys RW/R CDs or copy DVDs - it does have a full array for sound options but is limited to original software only (To me the word universial means the player plays everything like my old pioneer 565 could) even straight copys from a CD to CD on my NAD c660 recorder that work in everything else from xbox to car don't work....... :mad:

If it can’t play finalised DVD R/RW +/- and CD R/RW then take it back as it is faulty.

Hope this helps

Bill

carcarlo

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all!

Actually, I checked the specs of the Sony S790 and found out it does not read divx.

It is not a huge problem but It would be nice to have a real "universal" player...

Carlo

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
Thompsonuxb said:

If it can’t play finalised DVD R/RW +/- and CD R/RW then take it back as it is faulty.

Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks for that Bill - I thought it was a flaw of B-ray, got it from Richers with multi-region mod, I'll take it back on sunday see what they say.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
just to say bought the BD player back - very impressed with Richer Sounds who took it back no quibble - they have now run out of stock on this model so have sent it off for 'repair' - 3 to 4 weeks wait - they have supplied me with a 130 till its sorted.... Thanks Bill I was ready to settle and spend the next year grumbling under my breath about this fault....lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts