Help - Best amp with built in DAC for less than 3000 pounds

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
That is all i need. it will drive B&W 805s speakers.

Source is digital lossless from apple TV or CD digital from oppo BD83 (i also have a cyrus CD8x in the cupboard unused)

The amp will drive the front speakers in a 7.1 HT setup. A HTM4s Centre speaker and 4 * MA rears will be driven by an onkyo 905.

The room is 8 by 5 metres. music is mix of jazz/pop/rock. I like a nice warm sound.

I can also consider buying a new receiver if that makes sense (arcam 600)

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
The supernait is appealing but you guys only give it 4 stars which is a worry as i have always put a lot of faith in your reviews.

i have also thought about the accuphase e450 but cannot find any reviews of it.

do you think the Harmon is upto the job?

T

the record spot

HK990 - I'd have thought so, with ease. 88db speaker, though I see it's only rated for amps between 50-120 watts. Check that out as the HK990 is 150wpc. Never having heard either, it's worth you asking around. The Home Cinema Centre guys may carry the B&Ws so might have heard them together. They might drop by later.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 990 will easily run your speakers and will be a good lift from the Onkyo if you are using that at the moment. It has an AV bypass facility which will help no end in setting the system up. You can route the sub through the Harman as well should you wish a bit of extra bottom end in 2ch - it will still work in a 5.1 set up. There is also room eq split over the bass/mid/treble should you need it.

It is a superb amp and performs way beyond it's price point. Read around and you will find plenty agree . It is certainly worth a demonstration.

T

the record spot

See?
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
scubasteve:i have also thought about the accuphase e450 but cannot find any reviews of it.

The only UK review of Accuphase I have read in recent years was the November 2008 Hifi+ review of the E213 (now replaced by the E250).

I cannot find an online version of the review (and nor could I post a link here if there were one) but it was highly favourable.

The E450 has two 'option' card slots in the back for their DAC modules but, last time I looked, the Accuphase DAC-20 modules cost about £950 each and only have one optical and one coax on each card.

Either way, the E450 is way outside your stated budget at $5400.(before adding DAC modules)

There are a couple of UK dealers but they don't show prices.

John Duncan

I don't understand how you're proposing to set this all up - if you're using an Oppo for CD replay, it has to go through the receiver's DAC anyway (so that it knows about the other four channels), so having one in your amp is pointless...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I don't understand how you're proposing to set this all up - if you're using an Oppo for CD replay, it has to go through the receiver's DAC anyway (so that it knows about the other four channels), so having one in your amp is pointless...

Not if you intend to use a dedicated stereo setup for music...

John Duncan

Fahnsen:
JohnDuncan:I don't understand how you're proposing to set this all up - if you're using an Oppo for CD replay, it has to go through the receiver's DAC anyway (so that it knows about the other four channels), so having one in your amp is pointless...

Not if you intend to use a dedicated stereo setup for music...

Which is why I'm asking him how he proposes to set it up - separate digital out from the Oppo for CD replay to DVD replay? What about the apple TV - using the video capability or not (since there's only one HDMI and one optical)?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
The Lyngdorf TDAi 2200 is a digital amplifier with 4 digital inputs (and 200 wpc into 8 ohms).The room perfect option is the icing on the cake.I got mine from a reliable supplier for very little more than your budget,and the Room perfect works brilliantly in my awkward room.

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys fo rthe advise. the setup will be a little complicated.

1 oppo for CD stereo. coaxial digital out to the coaxial in on the amp

2. Apple TV for movies - HDMI to Onkyo, pre out to amp hdmi to TV

3. apple tv for music - optical out to optical in on amp, component out direct to TV. nothing to onkyo

4. Oppo for movies - hdmi to onkto, pre out to amp, hdmi to TV.

i think makes sense and will work. it is not perfect. worse case i add a squeeze box for audio and stream lossless from the PC and use apple TV just for movies etc.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
scubasteve:
The supernait is appealing but you guys only give it 4 stars which is a worry as i have always put a lot of faith in your reviews.

Strange. 'Only 4 stars' and you dismiss what many regard as one of the best integrateds on the basis of one review? - I'd like to say I wouldn't buy it personally, for similar reasons the WHreview marked it down for but plenty of users/reviewers would'nt agree. At least I used it myself though. - Surely, if you are planning to spend that much you owe it to yourself to go a little out of your way and try a few options ... ?

A

Anonymous

I love my Supernait, and purchased it after auditioning it with a wide variety of music and only a cursory look at various reviews.

Don't be put off by reviews after all they are someone else's opinion its you that will listen to it in your home not them, especially as you are spending that much coin you must audition..........

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
MENISCUS:
I love my Supernait, and purchased it after auditioning it with a wide variety of music and only a cursory look at various reviews.

Don't be put off by reviews after all they are someone else's opinion its you that will listen to it in your home not them, especially as you are spending that much coin you must audition..........

I agree. I've just ordered a SuperNait having spent the weekend auditioning it, and I found it to be excellent. WHF may 'only' give it a 4 star review, but there are plenty of other reviews out there and they all seem to be very positive.

LINK REMOVED - House Rules

If your brief is 'Best amp with built in DAC for less than 3000 pounds' then the SuperNait seems to be an obvious contender.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:WHF may 'only' give it a 4 star review, but there are plenty of other reviews out there and they all seem to be very positive.

Gentlemen, may I point out that 4 stars is in NO way a bad review!!!! WHF had some minor issues with the Supernait and dropped the fifth star as a result, if you agree with those issues then you may choose to buy something else... But you really should audition it first....

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Ajani:
Dan Turner:WHF may 'only' give it a 4 star review, but there are plenty of other reviews out there and they all seem to be very positive.

Gentlemen, may I point out that 4 stars is in NO way a bad review!!!! WHF had some minor issues with the Supernait and dropped the fifth star as a result, if you agree with those issues then you may choose to buy something else... But you really should audition it first....

...and I put 'only' in inverted commas for that reason - I certainly wasn't saying that I view a 4 star review as a negative outcome.

Also I didn't realise links to other sites was a violation of house rules - sorry.

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
thanks guys. i have actually managed to find a second hand supernait (3 months old) that i can get for around 1700 pounds so it is right at the top of my list.

I am going to have a listen to the moon i3.3 and also the bel canto s300id.

any other ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts