Good cheapish Amp to go with ATC SCM 11?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Is there any chance you can hook your inherited speakers to something decent to see if you might like them? It might be they simply aren't your cup of tea, and most ATC seem to prefer decent amplification because they aren't very sensitive (loud), not because they are a difficult load.

A weedy amp will sound it, and a scrawny source will sound horrible. Though I'm enjoying my new ATCs, I too think you'd likely get better results from investing in what you already like, rather than changing for the sake of it.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought pair of SCM11s and I love them. They do require a lot of power, I'd say at least 80W. I never heard these speakers in tandem with that Audiolab amp, so obviously I can't comment.

They're fairly neutral speakers, meaning they won't flatter poor recordings. Flaws inherent to recordings and mixes will very much be evident. Also, they don't go very low, so if you like loads of bass probably those speakers won't be your cup of tea. Still, you can fiddle with positioning.

I've never driven them with a cheap AV receiver but the advice seems very sensible. If you don't like the sound you can always sell the receiver (and speakers).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts