Good cheapish Amp to go with ATC SCM 11?

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I am inheriting a pair of these speakers (newer model) and am basically searching out an amp that will drive them well.

I am not looking to match them perfectly, that will come with time. I am more looking to get them going so to speak. If I can match them, then perfect but it is not my initial aim. I am looking to just get a decent system started and go from there.

I understand these are 'difficult' to drive, according to some but am a novice when it comes to these speakers. I am used to my PMC TB2i speakers and had them singing along. So I am used to a certain sound. I am open to anything really.

My only aim is to get a cheap amp (preferably with digital input for USB although a separate DAC is not out of the equation) to get a decent sound out of these. I say decent because the only amp I have heard through these speakers is an old Audiolab 8000P via 8200 CDQ, and I must admit the sound was between disappointing and awful, I was very surprised to say the least.

I was thinking along all kinds of lines, 3020D by NAD but unsure if would be driven well, a Monitor Audio A100, a good old Arcam A85. the choice is almost endless. My only limitations are, at the moment, cash! Maybe an old Cyrus with a cheap DAC thrown into the mix (Arcam rPac).

I think I had better leave it there! Anything considered as long as it will nudge some of this awesomeness I keep hearing about in regards to these little boxes. Thanks.

ps if it is any help I listen to most things apart from heavy metal and pop but especially electronica, 80s, then Deftones, Muse, Mansun and the like.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Narco said:
Hi

I am inheriting a pair of these speakers (newer model) and am basically searching out an amp that will drive them well.

I am not looking to match them perfectly, that will come with time. I am more looking to get them going so to speak. If I can match them, then perfect but it is not my initial aim. I am looking to just get a decent system started and go from there.

I understand these are 'difficult' to drive, according to some but am a novice when it comes to these speakers. I am used to my PMC TB2i speakers and had them singing along. So I am used to a certain sound. I am open to anything really.

My only aim is to get a cheap amp (preferably with digital input for USB although a separate DAC is not out of the equation) to get a decent sound out of these. I say decent because the only amp I have heard through these speakers is an old Audiolab 8000P via 8200 CDQ, and I must admit the sound was between disappointing and awful, I was very surprised to say the least. 

I was thinking along all kinds of lines, 3020D by NAD but unsure if would be driven well, a Monitor Audio A100, a good old Arcam A85. the choice is almost endless. My only limitations are, at the moment, cash! Maybe an old Cyrus with a cheap DAC thrown into the mix (Arcam rPac).

I think I had better leave it there! Anything considered as long as it will nudge some of this awesomeness I keep hearing about in regards to these little boxes. Thanks.

ps if it is any help I listen to most things apart from heavy metal and pop but especially electronica, 80s, then Deftones, Muse, Mansun and the like.

You are a lucky man getting these speakers

Have a look at a 2nd hand nad 370
Not perfect but cheap and enough power
You may even prefer the sound it gives to more expensive amps anyway.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Behringer A500 power amplifier offers outstanding quality for very little money. It's capable of driving demanding speakers like ATC with ease.

Combine it with a good DAC with a built in pre-amplifier like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and you'll have one hell of a system without breaking the bank.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crown-DC300A-Vintage-Power-Amplifier-/292128465007?hash=item440436a06f:g:a9wAAOSwcgNZJZ9r

Whilst your ATC's and Audiolab aren't the best speakers and amplifiers ever made, from your description of them as "disappointing to awful" it sounds as if either your amp or speakers have a technical fault.

What aspects of the sound are most disappointing to you?

Are the ATC's in phase and positioned correctly? EG not just plonked on the floor?

What recordings have you been playing through them? If it's Coldplay, I'm not surprised you're disappointed :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
correct.. for pop, rock or any badly compressed music atc wouldn't be my first choice.. also, the timing issues of some atc speakers won't help either..

ps. I guess by 2020 coldplay will only play disco or schlager pop music ( german producers working on adam audio monitors so possibly less compressed material)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If you bought an old av receiver that has preouts for the front channels (I got a marantz sr4400 recently for 40 pounds) and used the preouts to feed the above mentioned Behiringer, you could have a remote control system with all the inputs you could possibly need for a little over 200. It might not be perfect, but would suffice until you got something better

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
If you bought an old av receiver that has preouts for the front channels (I got a marantz sr4400 recently for 40 pounds) and used the preouts to feed the above mentioned Behiringer, you could have a remote control system with all the inputs you could possibly need for a little over 200. It might not be perfect, but would suffice until you got something better

especially better speakers

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
muljao said:

especially better speakers

Come on, be nice. Many really rate these speakers, no need to piss on the parade, I'd certainly like a set

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
many love mcdonalds and coke.. but is it healthy?

middle ages: really long period is human history

ps. only joking

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Narco said:
I am used to my PMC TB2i speakers and had them singing along. So I am used to a certain sound. I am open to anything really.

Obvious answer then.

Keep the PMCs (nice speakers) and whatever you are using to drive them. You seem happy with them ("had them singing along" in your words) and you are used to them, so why rock the boat?

Sell the SCM-11s instead of jumping through all kinds of hoops to make them sound good to you. Sod that.

chebby said:
Narco said:
I am used to my PMC TB2i speakers and had them singing along. So I am used to a certain sound. I am open to anything really.

Obvious answer then.

Keep the PMCs (nice speakers) and whatever you are using to drive them. You seem happy with them ("had them singing along" in your words) and you are used to them, so why rock the boat?

Sell the SCM-11s instead of jumping through all kinds of hoops to make them sound good to you. Sod that.

+1

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve.. "nothing wrong with them", surely you can say that about almost every speaker out there? until you start comparing..

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you mean by cheap

If it were me I would be looking at the
Plinius 2100i Integrated Amplifier available on ebay right now
Or how about the
Avi Laboratory Series Intergrated Amplifier S21 MI

Good price.Need to be quick though auction fishishes in 20mins !!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Narco said:

Obvious answer then.

+1

Plus another !

If I was given the choice between the ATC's and TB2i's I would pick the TB2i's every time, they are exceptionally good all round speakers.

Sell the ATC's and buy more music. *smile*

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
sell atc is always top advice.. I know people who done it, bought way cheaper speakers and that enjoy music just as much

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
lindsayt said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crown-DC300A-Vintage-Power-Amplifier-/29212846...

Whilst your ATC's and Audiolab aren't the best speakers and amplifiers ever made, from your description of them as "disappointing to awful" it sounds as if either your amp or speakers have a technical fault.

What aspects of the sound are most disappointing to you?

Are the ATC's in phase and positioned correctly? EG not just plonked on the floor?

What recordings have you been playing through them? If it's Coldplay, I'm not surprised you're disappointed :)

this is what I suspect but haven't received them yet to test. I have a Cyrus that should answer the question and at least they're in warranty.

Coldplay?! You take that back. I respect my equipment! :D

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
muljao said:

good idea, I have a Yamaha RX A830 which I'm eager to test them on, then compare to a decent amp.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Narco said:

Obvious answer then.

Haha. I'm doing my mum a HUGE favour who bought blind. Don't ask. You haven't met my mum. Probably.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
mond said:
Depends what you mean by cheap

If it were me I would be looking at the
Plinius 2100i Integrated Amplifier available on ebay right now
Or how about the
Avi Laboratory Series Intergrated Amplifier S21 MI
Too late....Wahhhh

Good price.Need to be quick though auction fishishes in 20mins !!

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
lpv said:
sell atc is always top advice.. I know people who done it, bought way cheaper speakers and that enjoy music just as much

I'm getting a vague, misty sense that you're not a massive fan?

It's more to experiment as the PMC were amazing just a tad light in the bass.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I should say that I'm not looking for THE system but a system to play with.

I'm surprised the 11s aren't universally lauded like seems to be the case most places but how boring would it be were everyone to like the same thing.

I sincerely hope there is no fault with the speakers but if there isn't I can at least testify to them not matching Audiolab's 8000P!

Some great recommendations here, some out of left field for me, thanks everyone.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Hi Steve.. "nothing wrong with them", surely you can say that about almost every speaker out there? until you start comparing..

To quote Einstein "It's all relative."

I'm not saying that they are the best available, of course not. IMO they're not even the best in their price range.

However they are still very good quality speakers and with the right amplification they can sound bloody good. They are certainly better than the majority of speakers that are available in their price range (especially passives ;) ).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
muljao said:

+1

The Yamaha DSP-E800 and Marantz NR1604 receivers are good options too if all you need is a DAC and pre-amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts