Question Hegel H390 - does it hum?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

You’re welcome.

RoomPerfect is a feature of the TDAI-3400 is Lyngdorf Audio’s proprietary digital room correction technology which maps and corrects for the acoustical errors of your room.

Regardless of the theoretical advantage active speakers have over passive however both types will ultimately be placed in a room. RoomPerfect will correct the acoustical errors of your room and helps your loudspeakers perform at their optimum and that's what really matters.

thanks for replying again.

what we need then is roomperfect "installed" on a pair of active atc's - game over !

thanks for replying again.

what we need then is roomperfect "installed" on a pair of active atc's - game over !
I am carefully watching this to ensure the original post doesn't get hijacked.....although it may be a bit late for that.
Please stick to the original question, any further posts from plus1 or Musicraft that do not reference the original post will be deleted

D

Deleted member 188516

I am carefully watching this to ensure the original post doesn't get hijacked.....although it may be a bit late for that.
Please stick to the original question, any further posts from plus1 or Musicraft that do not reference the original post will be deleted

apologies but dont all the threads get "hijacked" ?

(mine certainly have and i could not care less...)

i'm very grateful for ricks replies / advice.

(rick was only replying to my questions - fair play to him so its my "fault", not his, for derailing the thread).

over zealous moderation will kill this forum - maybe save it for the insults that get thrown !

Rick is a dealer that should know better, although his response is informative as ever. His response on #19 is noted and he should refrain at that point if he is retailing this product. The idea is not to derail the original post.
Your question should have been placed in a separate thread.
The reason mods are involved is to stop this potential hijacking, it's for everyone's benefit.
For what it's worth the lack of moderation was what killed the original forum, in my humble opinion so be thankful there still is one.
If you wish more information from Rick start a new thread and respect the original OPs question.

D

Deleted member 188516

Rick is a dealer that should know better, although his response is informative as ever. His response on #19 is noted and he should refrain at that point if he is retailing this product. The idea is not to derail the original post.
Your question should have been placed in a separate thread.
The reason mods are involved is to stop this potential hijacking, it's for everyone's benefit.
For what it's worth the lack of moderation was what killed the original forum, in my humble opinion so be thankful there still is one.
If you wish more information from Rick start a new thread and respect the original OPs question.

once again apologies to the op for diverting his thread (if he cares) and apologies for landing rick in it for taking time to answer my question. time for a break !

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I’m interested on this as I have one (H390) arriving today. I have an IsoTek Aquarius I’ll be using it with, which I don’t think has DC blocking (unlike something like an ISOL-8 Integra which I’ve tried, which I know does have that).

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought only Naim amps have hum issues. Seriously the H390 which hums clearly has a fault as no reviews from around the world have not mentioned such a specific issue. Of course reviews are not absolute record however it is a reliable indication.

I thought only Naim amps have hum issues. Seriously the H390 which hums clearly has a fault as no reviews from around the world have not mentioned such a specific issue. Of course reviews are not absolute record however it is a reliable indication.
I agree it shouldn’t happen, and many products are presumably immune to minor DC issues. I’d not expect to see this in reviews because faulty units are swapped before proceeding, and/or reviewers often use fancy mains gear which would likely eliminate the issues.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
@KnobblySausage

I checked with Hegel as my loan Unit H390 arrived just now and it does the same thing.

I was told the hum is normal and it is the DC, but that because the H390 has a huge transformer it is more audible then smaller amps. Looking through the cooling holes, it is huge and this seems to me a thing you could expect as transformers can do this. The H120 has a much smaller toroid.

They advised me a DC blocking mains conditioner can reduce it but doubt it would take it away completely.

I’m listening at 3-4m and with volume really slight and you can’t hear at all. In fact with volume off at listening position I can’t hear at all, admittedly doing a test during day when ambient noise is probably higher. but the hum is very low and only really noticeable when you put your head up to the case, I’m finding. For the quality of performance this isn’t a grumble for me - this thing is taking apart £7500 in Cyrus signature amps I have and costs less.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I agree it shouldn’t happen, and many products are presumably immune to minor DC issues. I’d not expect to see this in reviews because faulty units are swapped before proceeding, and/or reviewers often use fancy mains gear which would likely eliminate the issues.

it can happen and to imply it’s a fault wouldn’t be right because toroids can do that and it’s one reason why you see them mounted in cases or with special damping. But big ones you obviously have heat issues. The ac current is at the frequency it’s buzzing at and tiny changes in the shape of the iron In windings changes shape to result in the electro - mechanical noise. It’s nothing faulty. When I take the case off for my review, I’ll have a look at the spec and check to see at what point it happens.

it can happen and to imply it’s a fault wouldn’t be right because toroids can do that and it’s one reason why you see them mounted in cases or with special damping. But big ones you obviously have heat issues. The ac current is at the frequency it’s buzzing at and tiny changes in the shape of the iron In windings changes shape to result in the electro - mechanical noise. It’s nothing faulty. When I take the case off for my review, I’ll have a look at the spec and check to see at what point it happens.
You're going to take the case off an amplifier you've been loaned? Do they know about this?
Ex demo noisy Hegel anyone?......

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
And you’d be 100% satisfied if you’d just blown £5000 of your hard earned on it?

yes, it’s an extremely good amp. The hum starts on power up and then quickly goes down to non discernible levels within a few seconds. It’s not a fault.

In fact I have bought it. I wouldn’t look at it as blowing anything as this thing will take apart equivalent priced naim, Cyrus. My cyrus signature gear costing £7k is easily outperformed by it. I’m finishing my review of it Atm. Dac is very good, as good as a Qutest dac.

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I can recommend these DC blockers from ATL Audio , the are extremely good value at £78 each .
I have two of them and they work extremely well and the build quality is excellent .
I have several pieces of equipment that have huge toroids that are prone to hum if there is DCon the mains and they are now all extremely quiet .
One thing I did not expect was the increase in overall sound quality when using them in my system.
https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-...r-trap-filter-assembled-in-case/?currency=GBP

View attachment 1325

Hi, this looks promising. I too have a very low hum from Audiolab 6000A which I can hear if listen close up to the casing.

I'm sure its inaudible from my seating position, but once heard I cannot 'un hear' the hum and have now started listening for it 😆

I notice that this DC blocker has two options, a 1.4V (Bridge Rectifier) and a 2V (Discrete Diodes) and I have no idea what this means and which to go for.

Reactions: TotalVictim

TotalVictim

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site

Need a massive downvote for certain posts...

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Some of our clients also experienced similar problems with their H360's. What has the dealer said please?
Hi, sorry not thread related but didn't know of another way to contact you. I can see you have the AE500's, I was wondering if I could have your thoughts on their overall performance, likes and dislikes? Cheers!

Reactions: 12oner

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Reactions: MUSICRAFT

matthewpiano

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts