HDMI RGB Range Settings

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Having made a splash into the blu-ray/Flat TV arena, I am so far very impressed with the results. I own a Pioneer 428XD and accompanying Elite BDP-95FD bluray player. I am however confused over one picture color output setting. On the bluray player, I am to select either RGB(16-235) or RGB(0-255). Likewise, the plasma TV can also be fixed to accept RGB(16-235) or RGB(0-255) or set to Auto mode. I have asked the manufacturer who suggest using RGB(16-235). However, my dealer uses RGB(0-255) on his Kuro TV. Making the issue more infuriating is that on some DVDs, RGB(16-235) is better, while on some bluray discs, RGB(0-255) seems better. Obviously, I cannot keep switching settings depending on what disc I put on which is very inconvenient.

I would appreciate comments/feedback from anybody, especially the more technology inclined as I am lost. Common sense tells me that the setting should be set to RGB(0-255) as it represents the full color range which is what a premium plasma TV and bluray player should be able to make full use of. Am I right or is the whole issue software dependent, cable dependent, etc ???

On another separate note, has any PDP428XD owner attempted to play around with the vast manual color setting for low/high color temperature fields.....it is so confusing to me so I just left the color temp to "Mid" but my friends tell me to experiment as I am not making full use of the TV's features.....

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated

A

Anonymous

Congratulations on your purchases. I think you posted in the wrong section which is why you have no replies.

DVD and BD are specced to use the restricted range of 16-235 so that is what you should use at both ends. The full range is intended for PC sourced material, eg graphics.

When you see one setting looking better than the other on certain material you are seeing the effect of significant changes in black level (brightness) and, to a lesser extent, peak white level (contrast). For consistency you need to set these correctly on your display which you can do with test discs like "Video Essentials" available from Amazon and others. You also need to set the colour temparature to 6500K which is usually closest to "warm" on most displays. The others are for use when the displays are in brightly lit showrooms to make them appear brighter (and bluer) - this bears no relation to viewing in the home in subdued lighting.

Actually since you do not seem to be experienced in this area I would strongly suggest you have your whole system ISF (Imaging Sciences Foundation) calibrated for about £250 by a trained professional. There are a number of these guys across the UK. When you have had this done you will be amazed by how natural the picture looks. Believe me (and I have no axe to grind) it will be money well spent.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts