HDMI Leads exposed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
All this angst, over what...........................consumer choice!

If you elect to purchase a VW car, or an Audi, or a Porsche or even a Bentley, (all from the same company as well), they will all do exactly the same thing................get you from A to B, it is how you get there that you are choosing, same analogy I guess for HDMI leads.

If you consider that different brands of speaker cables, at different price points, have an impact on the sound (if you don;'t consider this then there is not much else to say) then why not the same for HDMI leads, power cables, interconnects etc etc?

Each to their own.

A

Anonymous

im struggling to see the free gift section for subscribing????

bigboss:
Personally, I haven't found any difference between the free Sky HDMI cable, £4.99 HDMI from ThatCable & £40 QED performance HDMI. I've recently subscribed to the What Hi-Fi mag. I'll replace the Sky freebie cable with the Chord Supershield HDMI (free gift for subscribing) when it arrives. I'll see if there's any difference (I seriously doubt so).

All these tests don't really matter if the end user finds a difference between the HDMI cables or doesn't find any. Jitter, if any any, should be perceptible enough to actually notice a difference.

I received my Chord Supershield HDMI cable today. I replaced the Sky HDMI cable with the Chord. And guess what? No difference whatsoever, SD or HD, audio or video.

A

Anonymous

i found no difference between my freebie cables , tesco cable , or monster cable , and i might just add that even though my monster cable came in a nice package , looks funky , and cost e30 (reduced from e50) i have strangely , formed no emotional attachment to it at all , i feel no desire to defend it ,or to imagine its better than my other cables , its just an overpriced cable ..

A

Anonymous

So the concensus is that we are all mugs

Fool and his money easily parted

I concede, and like others have wasted £100.00 on cables thinking that throwing money at my sytem is going to reap rewards, and I must admit it hasnt.

Suggestion

Keep a look out for WHF subscription offers which are excellent , offering high spec HDMI and Power cables then you can try risk free , if no good then ebay them .

You also get an excellent magazine which you probably buy Monthly anyway

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
lesmor:Keep a look out for WHF subscription offers which are excellent , offering high spec HDMI and Power cables then you can try risk free , if no good then ebay them .

But then how would you live with your conscience, having sold someone something you know to have no benefit whatsoever?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

lesmor:Keep a look out for WHF subscription offers which are excellent , offering high spec HDMI and Power cables then you can try risk free , if no good then ebay them .

But then how would you live with your conscience, having sold someone something you know to have no benefit whatsoever?
emotion-5.gif

Business is business not suggesting for a minute companys do not believe in their products

There is a multi million pound industry for Home entertainment with many jobs dependant on it, but everything discussed about cables power supplies seems to be subjective .

I have spend hundreds / thousands of pounds on my system dare say this will continue.

If a consumer is in no hurry my suggestion is a no risk way to try the product , may even boost the WHF subscription base

A

Anonymous

i have had whsv freebie hdmi 59.99 also phillips hdmi 39.99
and argos 10.99 hdmi then got sky hdmi that came free with sky hd box, i could not tell any differences at all
between them so i would now buy the cheapest hdmi everytime i need any, dont waste your money dear hdmi cables.

A

Anonymous

its funny , everyones had their say on cables recently , i dont think anyone cares at this point , especially on sat night
emotion-22.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have expensive IXOS HDMI cables 2 of them around £130 and a cheap HDMI, when I tested them I remember there was a slight sharpness to the IXOS HDMI cable and I mean slight was it worth the extra money no, but one area where the expensive HDMI cable wipes the floor with the cheaper cables is sound.

It's really strange how sound really gets effected by cables?

So I think my money is well spent if I was just plugging a HDMI cable in just to watch the TV I would just stick to the cheap one, but if I was going to be watching a BLU RAY film with 5.1 then I would go for the expensive one due to the better sound for my AMP.

A

Anonymous

[EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES - Offensive language and spam link]

A

Anonymous

Just came across this great post.

Toward the end of the video/interview, the guy from Future Shop, when being pressed on the issue of quality makes all the right body language to suggest he isn`t telling the truth. notice how he looks away to the left, amongst other gestures when he says, "There is a difference that we notice and we trust." Not conclusive that he isn`t telling the truth but when you put it all together, it gives you a higher definition of the picture.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

mr_lizard13:[EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES - Offensive language and spam link]

Well given my post contained neither of the above (there wasn't even a link, let alone a 'spam' one), it's clear it was just deleted because it doesn't fit in with the view of WHF.

Unless there was some other reason it was deleted?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nope - after all, we host this and MANY other threads on HDMI issues, for and against.

The picture you posted contained offensive language our filter would normally amend/delete, and there was a dodgy link below it (which you edited out before the mods posted their reply).

Please do not discuss moderation further, as that is another breach of House Rules. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

And that gets you a ban for continuing to discuss moderation and reposting an offensive link already removed once before - MODS

A

Anonymous

its time the mag got the top 20 leads and did an infinate test ive used you guys opinions for most of my purchases and you havent been wrong yet . and if i wanna name 3 things that have made my £8000+ of kit purr its 1 cleare audio copper line 2 van der hul flat 3 chord powercord i have ixox and qed back there and tacima and i was more than happy to test and buy higher end cables

A

Anonymous

I`m going to have to contact a completely different forum for this answer:

If I purchase an extremely expensive usb cable for my printer - will it give me better print out of my photos?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No. But then as with all the usual 'if I have a better cable will my Word documents be better written?' questions asked in threads of this kind, there are fundamental differences between the transmission of computer data of this kind and real-time video and audio.

Nice try, though...

A

Anonymous

hdmi is digital... 0's and 1's?

The siganl either gets there or it doesn't. The good thing about hdmi is error correction..... so if the signal sent isnt correctly received then it is re-requested.

As such, there shouldn't be any real difference in which cable you use (when comparing cables of the same hdmi standards).

Maybe, maybe not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts