admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased a panasonic TXL37V10B and DMR EX89 K dvd recorder,Any tips on tv set up and also which hdmi lead is best suited for tv and dvd recorder.

Thanks,

Taff68
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

plenty of hdmi cables on ebay - i bought a decent enough 3m one for £18. dont be suckered into paying stupid money for something that passes 1's and 0s along its length. it's not an analogue signal!

A

Anonymous

daveh75:knobbynoo:dont be suckered into paying stupid money for something that passes 1's and 0s along its length. And there was me thinking it was electrical current!!

well theres a 5v rail signal yes, but that has nothing to do with the bitstream that makes up the image you see being output. the biggest difference here is hdmi = bitstream delivery whereas analog = continuously varying voltages.

the manufacturers would obviously have you believe their squillion pound hdmi cable would give you a better picture, but in reality, a £10-£15 hdmi cable is probably going to be as well put together as an £xxxxxx cable. the rest is sheer profit and marketing.

A

Anonymous

You have a bought some serious kit and a good choice of model too!

A good HDMI is a must, What Hi-Fi dont review them for nothing you know, there is a difference in picture quality depending on how much you want to spend. Yes a HDMI passes 1's and 0's but that does not mean that from one to the other you are going to get a picture you deserve, i have tried this for myself, we have tested a average HDMI costing around £20 to another one costing £60 (Van Den Hull Flat, What Hi-Fi cable of the year 2008) and there is a massive difference, its sharper, motion is perfect and sound was improved.

So in reply to your question, yes you need a good HDMI, i would recommend the Chord Supershield that won cable of the year 2009 from What Hi-Fi as this cost's around £45.00, that is not a great deal of money to pay to help your V10 Panasonic perform and look great with your recorder.

In terms of setup, there is not much to do apart from plug one end of the HDMI into the recorder and the other end into the TV. The aerial goes into the recorder and then back upto the TV. The TV and Recorder will tune them selves in automatically out the box and will be ready to use. In terms of picture calibrating, get a hold some THX glasses and calibrate to a THX certified movie like Indian Jones on DVD as an example as that includes the calibration process, otherwise have a play with the settings and see what you like best.

Regards> M

A

Anonymous

Define "good"? The only thing an hdmi cable needs to be is compliant. If the cable you buy is compliant (and this can be proved - the manufacturer will have a cert of compliance), it will be perfectly adequate.

Furthermore, yes, the passing of 1s and 0s means EXACTLY that. After all, there is no error-correction. If the cable was bad enough that some of the bitstream was lost, the resulting output would be anything from no picture whatsoever to a massively noticeable issue with the picture. Not simply slightly less sharp/vivid etc. (although those two adjectives always make me laugh when talking about hdmi cables - I'd love to know what part of the protocol is responsible for either!!)

I know for an absolute fact that I could put a compliant £15 cable up against a compliant £150 cable and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Neither would I, or anyone else.

Which is exactly how it's supposed to be.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
knobbynoo:I know for an absolute fact that I could put a compliant £15 cable up against a compliant £150 cable and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Neither would I, or anyone else.

Sorted then. Thank goodness for that.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

knobbynoo:I know for an absolute fact that I could put a compliant £15 cable up against a compliant £150 cable and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Neither would I, or anyone else.

Sorted then. Thank goodness for that.

Prof, you'll have no doubt noticed, during your absence, nothing much has changed.

A

Anonymous

Well something has, people are expressing the truth with HDMI and picture quality.

Take a little time to google picture quality and HDMI to understand the signal by 'dropping' 0's ore 1's will not effect sharpness, contrast, saturation. Its not analogue, its not signal levels as a scart cable. Loss will produce picture 'failure'.

The best way to address this is to ask any manufacturer of high end HDMI leads WHY does their cable improve it, what are some simple explanations to what they claim. This can be done for speaker cables and analogue interconnects, not for HDMI video.

It is proven there is no effect with complex test equipment, and before someone says use your eyes any effects will be the influence of the viewers mind. Do a blind comparison with a friend to swap cables.

But in a world where people believe in 'modern' Gods yet dismiss the Greek or Nordic ones as folly, then I suppose, thinking a HDMI cable can effect the picture, when is technically impossible, is probably simple task.

Don't fall into the trap that because its in print its the truth, blimey back to superstitions !

Ed.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Eddy41:But in a world where people believe in 'modern' Gods yet dismiss the Greek or Nordic ones as folly, then I suppose, thinking a HDMI cable can effect the picture, when is technically impossible, is probably simple task.

Who's dismissing Nordic gods? I thought Odin was a lovely chap.

ODIN.gif

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Clare Newsome:And Thor's done OK with his line of cables....

The mighty Thor, the god of war
Rode forth upon his filly.
"I'm Thor!" he cried; the horse replied,
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!"

I know said Thor,youre right for sure

Cause now my butt is really sore

I guess you"d call me thaddle Thor

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
RodhasGibson:Andrew Everard:

Clare Newsome:And Thor's done OK with his line of cables....

The mighty Thor, the god of war
Rode forth upon his filly.
"I'm Thor!" he cried; the horse replied,
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!"

I know said Thor,youre right for sure

Cause now my butt is really sore

I guess you"d call me thaddle Thor

TRENDING THREADS