HDMI cables.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just bought a new Panasonic 3D BD player - if my current HDMI cables work, i.e., they transmit a 3D image on my 3D tv, can I safely assume that upgrading to the the High Speed cable (1.4 spec) is unnecessary? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will a slower standard speed cable transmit a lower resolution than 1080P 3D if it isn't up to spec or would a cable of this type just not transmit any sort of picture at al?

Some will say they either work or they don't, since it is a digital signal. Others will say that better cables will give better resolution.

For me, I think it is quite plausible that your older cables are up to the job. If they pre-date the 1.4 standard they will obviously not carry the new logo, but they might still pass if tested. Maybe you can borrow some newer cables from your dealer to assess at home.

A

Anonymous

My old QED HDMI-P cables pass 3D picture and HD audio fine, from my player to AVR, I even have a 5m length buried in the wall which passes the 3D signal fine to the TV. It's worth giving it a try IMO.

A

Anonymous

I guess what you're asking is if the components will auto-negotiate a lower resolution if the cable between them can't carry the highest one. I don't have the answer to that, but it seems logical that the answer would be yes. It should be fairly easy to verify though: if your TV says it's receiving 1080p signals, then it is.

Regarding "1.4 spec" HDMI cables: they don't exist. There are only two types, standard and high-speed, both have been around for longer than the 1.4 standard. Standard cables carry only up to 1080i, you need high-speed for anything fancier (1080p, 3d, deep color). The only odd feature out is the ethernet channel, for which you do need a special cable, called "HDMI cable with ethernet".

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
tremon said:
Regarding "1.4 spec" HDMI cables: they don't exist. ".

Tremon, does this mean that my existing high speed cable (non v1.4) will pass the ARC - audio return channel between my TV and a receiver?

A

Anonymous

def lugs said:
does this mean that my existing high speed cable (non v1.4) will pass the ARC - audio return channel between my TV and a receiver?
Short answer: yes. Long answer: it should, as long as both TV and receiver support it. Note that not all devices support ARC on all their inputs, some have only one hdmi port that is explicitly marked as ARC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts