admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone heard any of these? Are there even that many available? How do they compare to SACD's or DVD-Audio's? Is it just another dead superior audio format rolled over by the juggernaut of portable MP3 players?

T

the record spot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

Some background on the format, now under the protective wing of some backstreet outfit called Microsoft....they'll never last.

Anyway, there are some CD players equipped with HDCD - NAD's C542 for one and there are a few others. However, like SACD or DVD-A, you only find it on some and not across the board. Fewer still have HDCD, SACD & DVD-A (Oppo's 980H being the cheapest at around £160) whilst around - according the Wiki link above, 4000 titles were released with HDCD compatibility. These include the Grateful Dead, Mike Oldfield and Joni Mitchell's releases or remasters and many of which are available for a low price these days.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I have a few HDCD's, and really liked the idea of it. Sadly it all seemed to disappear when Microsoft bought it.

I remember being excited by my Rotel 951 CD player being compatible, and being very excited when the little red HDCD light came on with various discs. One HDCD disc I often used for demo purposes was 'Spirit' by Jewel, and in particular the track 'Down So Long'. My girlfriend is sick of that track as it was always the one I used when tinkering with my hi-fi!

There used to be a definitive list of titles at the Pacific Microsonics site, but it seems to have been pulled. I think there are various lists out there that might be found from Google. The only thing to be wary of is that some of the lists are incorrect, in that they list albums that have HDCD 'flags' which light up HDCD lights/logos on players, or show as being HDCD in MS media player, but they actually have no HDCD content. Also, there are albums that aren't all in HDCD, just some tracks, and these are rarely listed.

Every time I find a list, I find albums that I want, but I can never track down the HDCD versions. Norah Jones and Michael Buble both have HDCD albums that I'd like to get, but I rarely find them for a sensible price.

davo

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I bought my Rotel 991 in 2001 at the height of the HDCD boom. I have about 6 jazz and classical HDCDs(mostly Reference Recordings and Linn) all of which sound impressive to me. I am pesuaded that the format does improve on normal CD sound, but there is no doubt that in terms of encoded information SACD and DVD-A are superior and I think the format is being allowed to die quietly.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Managed to get Tubular Bells in HDCD format from HMV - it was in the 2 for £10 deal - search on E-Bay gives a few more - click "include title and description" when you search for HDCD

A

Anonymous

Mike Oldfield remasters are in HDCD and I think they sound a step above CD. In addition, they are Low Price usuallyÿ
emotion-2.gif

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts