Boys (middle aged men) and their toys.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
So back in 1993 when I got married I really fancied a minidisk recorder, I couldn't afford one and by the time I could it was a dead? Idea, iPods etc had put the final nail in the coffin. Over a few years I bought three Sony music players that used the same Atrac format as minidisc. 2 HDD based and one flash drive based. I still have the 1GB flash drive based one. I also have Sony's budget Hi Res capable NW-A55L

Any way just for a bit of fun I took a punt on a £30 Panasonic portable minidisc recorder on eBay last week. It's missing the online remote, the power adapter and one of those chewing gum packet shaped rechargeable batteries, so just running off AA batteries. I bought 10 used discs too.

I'm having fun messing around with this, titling discs and tracks is a bit laborious but got two of my cassettes now on minidisc and will get a few more done over the next week. I will get some more discs off eBay soon.

My son did say, dad why? we've got Spotify. I just replied, your old man and his toys leave me alone. 😂

Any one still using minidisc? What do you think of the format?

Reactions: manicm and Symples

Gray

Any one still using minidisc? What do you think of the format?
I've got the MZ-35
My brother has their flagship, 'UK tuned' MDS-JB930. Every aspect of that is fantastic.
Was way ahead of its time - the inputs and outputs, frame accurate, comprehensive editing (that puts my CD recorder to shame)....and you can plug in a keyboard to make that titling easier.

And the all-important sound? I'd challenge anyone to tell it apart from CD.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I follow a guy on Instagram that has the machine with the plug in keyboard I would love that. The Instagram account is minidiscovery he has loads of portable machines and a couple of full size decks. My local hifi dealer has a couple of full size minidisc machines that have been traded in. I am so tempted, more robust than my Philips CD recorder I think.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Oh yes and a few months ago my son bought me a Tascam MD-350, full sized minidisc recorder, off eBay. It has RCA and balanced outputs at the back. Keyboard socket at the front, that is making titling discs so much easier. It also has an optical input on the front as well as at the back. I've used the front optical input to record from Spotify via my Chromecast audio. Who cares it's an obsolete format, I'm loving it.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts