HD Media Streamers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm considering buying an Apple TV as a media streamer for use with a system comprising of a Panasonic PZ8142B and Onkyo SR606. Having looked at the reviews for similar devices, it appears that Apple TV is about the best there is but its far from ideal, especially with a large screen. Am I right in saying this and are there any rumours going around of True HD media streamers being released this year?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
It all depends on what you want to stream.

The Apple TV is a nice piece of kit, but doesn't play many of the popular file formats.

There are already 1080p streamers out there. The PS3 being the one I'd recommend!

A

Anonymous

Can the PS3 access photo's and video files stored on a PC via a hard-wired network ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You need to have a DLNA compliant sharing software (like Windows Media Player 11 or Twonkymedia) installed. If you do, then no issues at all sharing photos, videos or music (assuming they are in a format the PS3 can understand).

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:[snip]....(assuming they are in a format the PS3 can understand).

Unless you use software which will transcode on the fly like TVersity or Fuppes. Allows you to rip your tunes in FLAC (best compressed format IMHO) and the software transcodes them to PCM (.wav) on demand.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:professorhat:[snip]....(assuming they are in a format the PS3 can understand).

Unless you use software which will transcode on the fly like TVersity or Fuppes. Allows you to rip your tunes in FLAC (best compressed format IMHO) and the software transcodes them to PCM (.wav) on demand.

Are either TVersity or Fuppes Mac OSX compliant?
I currently use Nullriver's Medialink but as mentioned won't play certain formats on my PS3. It also gives me errors every time I try and copy something over the wires (ethernet).
Or should I just stick to MediaLink?

A

Anonymous

Have you look at the Popcorn Hour? Comes in cheap if imported from the US and does everything you want..

A

Anonymous

I've installed Fuppes on an old G4 800Mhz machine, running 10.4. ÿRuns very well. ÿEven transcodes without any juddering which I wasn't expecting on such a slow machine. ÿWhilst Fuppes can be installedÿrelativelyÿeasily just to act as a media server (serving the files, no transcoding, so the files have to be natively playable by your PS3) it isn't the easiest thing in the world to setup to transcode. You need to be reasonably confident on the commandline. ÿHowever, it's free, opensource and fiddly-footling is half of the fun for me!

ÿBTW...using your mac, you don't actually need a media server installed for the PS3 to see the video files, you can use the mac's built-in web server. ÿThough this, again, doesn't do transcoding so only works for files that will play natively on the PS3. ÿIf you stick your files in the "Sites" folder with no index.html file there (they can be in sub-folders if you want to keep them nicely organised) and turn on "Personal Web Server"; then use the web browser built into the PS3 to ÿnavigate to your server (I have it as a bookmark so I only had to type it in once), you can access all your video files that way. ÿDoesn't look as pretty as a media server in the PS3's cross-bar thingy, but plays the files a treat.ÿ

Alcinaÿ

ÿ

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
My view..

I hate Apple, they're business model.. they want to keep everything to themselves.. they do not share formats/software/hardware with others.. you know what I mean..

but..

At some point I've got IPod.. I still think it's the best mp3 player around not because it has the most features but it has what you need.. And it works how you want it to work.. ok I still think that ITunes is a piece of ... and I hope Apple will do something about this..

Then came IPhone.. I try to resist for a long time but then I've bought it.. and.. I love it.. it's briliant.. it's the first phone that does want I want to have in my phone (phone+music+web+email).. and the user interface is so so good.

I've got PS3 and I've setup Tversity and WMP to use DNLA and it works.. but you know what I would love to watch on my PS3.. Apple Trailers.. and guess what.. I can't unless I do some downloading/converting etc.. but with Apple TV I could.. The PS3 trailers are so so rubbish.. I think they have about.. chm.. 20? It's a joke.. Yes Apple TV doesn't do 1080p.. but were do you find 1080p video that you could stream to your PS3? I have no idea..

So anyway my point is.. I like PS3 as it's extremly flexible, but for some strange reason Sony is so slow on all the media server side.. so..what would I choose?

Apple TV of course.. because they have content.. and IMHO this is what counts!

ps.. If you have IPhone/ITouch you can use Remote app to control your music.. another briliant idea from Apple (and yes you're right they didn't come with this idea first.. but they got it right.. again)

A

Anonymous

I use an Helios X3000 which is capable of streaming a multitude of video formats including the HD divx & wma formats - either wirelessly or preferably via a wired network. Try Wizdxp as the PC server software & you can even stream .iso files on the fly. It also upscales to 1080p but doesn't do .mkv files though. Also, the Onkyo remote can't be programmed for the Helios
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts