HD content via Cat 6

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, What I would like to achieve is Sky HD in another room using my only Sky HD box located elsewhere in the house. In the room I also have a twin Cat 6 wall plate and was wondering whether I could take a feed from the HD box to this television and how? If this is possible, I would also like to know whether I would need anything else to change channels or if it is just a matter of using the existing magic eye.

What i must however mention is that there is a feed from the HD box to an amplifier that feeds 5 other televisions all hooked up via magic eyes and a single cable. The main television is connected via HDMI from the HD box to the TV. Thanks......

scene

I believe this is perfectly possible, and there are a number of commercial products that allow HDMI to be transmitted over CAT6, and then convert back at the other end - I believe you might need 2xCAT6 cables for full 1080P/HDCP - but I'm not 100% sure of this.

The magic eye would then change the channels, as per normal.

daveh75

HDMI over cat5/6 baluns/extenders work really well. Most require two runs of cat5/6, though some are available that work on a single run. Some also have IR repeaters integrated into them (like this for example), but as you already have magic eyes you could continue using the eye to change channels and buy the cheaper extenders (like this). Obviously you'll also need an HDMI splitter too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts