Have i made a mistake? Im worried. Denon DM37DAB + Mordaunt short 902i HELP!!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:fayeanddavid:roblikeshismusic:
Still waiting on the yamaha system as it is supposedly discontinued now! Superfi said they are contacting the supplier and trying to order some more.

Gaaah all this is annoying now....

Rob,

I had similar challenges when trying to get through Richer Sounds, didn't want the Denon 37 DAB so got a deal on the Cambridge One from RS, very pleased with the quality and sound

Bit more than your budget for the Yamaha/Denon, but do yourself a favour and go and have a look, really pleased with mine.

Has two Line In inputs as well, which is what I wanted but the Yamaha did not have.

iPod dock is also excellent, as is CD playback, all in all a very good unit

Yeah i have seen that cambridge audio one micro system. only thing that's putting me off it is that alot of people say that the pairing of cambridge audio and mordaunt short is not that good or overly bright as its matching a bright system with bright speakers. Of course its based on your preference but it kind of puts me off, plus it costs more.

Personally I'd have changed the speakers.You have far more options to change the speakers to suit the amp than the other way round , and the Denon isn't a rubbish amp.Spot on, Sizzers, that was always the problem, as many posters tried to say. Changing the amp is deck chairs on the Titanic stuff.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:
Yeah i know i have many more options changing the speakers other then the system but there are 3 reasons why i haven't done so.

- I would make a loss on the speakers if i sold them on as richersounds won't take them back unless its an exchange (they for around 70-100 on ebay, i paid £150 for them and i would still consider them new.

- I love the look of them

-The volume increments annoyed me on the denon

Ordered the yamaha from hifix now, hopefully they have some left!

In fairness your original complaint was against the speakers being too bright, not the volume increments - this only came up when Mr P (as he's also stated elsewhere) said that he could not live with them. Each to their own, though.

As I've also said before, unless you get the speakers out of the corners of the wall and the ceiling ANY speaker is going to be more than compromised.

My Tannoy's are no oil painting but I just listen to them, not look at them (soon to be changed, though!)

Just my thoughts.

That is true, although i mentioned me geniunely not liking the sound
and questioning the running in before saying about volume increments,
but i knew about the whole volume problem beforehand anyway. The volume
jumps are annoying, i could live with it i think its just the fact im
not overly happy with how my system with particular music (heavier, fast
paced etc.) don't get me wrong in some genres it is absolutley
brilliant.

Maybe i made a mistake and should change the speaker.
After all im not as well knowledged in this area as some of you guys...

I have 3 options;

1. Keep the Denon and replace the speakers and
make an indefinite loss selling them and buy the q acoustic 2020's with
the specific mounts.

2. Replace the denon for the yamaha (if i can
get hold of it!) and see how it is. As ear said the yamaha might suit
my speakers better as the yamaha have good detail with instruments and
on mid range and are warmer.

3. Keep it all as it is and give it
another month or so and go from there. (move the speakers a bit lower)

I could probably live with the volume increments if im happy with the set
up, its just the 10, 11 and 12 area that bugs me.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
lol @ Tarquinh.

Rearrange your room, get stands (out of the corners and away from the side walls), have a totally cramped space (like mine!), and enjoy. Sorted!

I've got around 10' by 7' to listen in. Kicked the wardrobe out and.....heaven. Have bigger and better rooms in the house to listen in, but I've got annoying neighbours who don't like music *GRRR*

P.S. GG sounds pretty good right now.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:
Rearrange your room, get stands (out of the corners and away from the side walls), have a totally cramped space (like mine!), and enjoy. Sorted!

I've got around 10' by 7' to listen in. Kicked the wardrobe out and.....heaven. Have bigger and better rooms in the house to listen in, but I've got annoying neighbours who don't like music *GRRR*

I rearranged my room today well tried to! and i have no room for speaker stands. I can't get rid of my wardrobe! where am i going to put my clothes and other bits and bobs?!?! LOL

What do you mean by "GG sounds pretty good right now"?

Out of the options i listed what do you reckon is best for me?

I haven't heard back from hifix yet so hopefully the order for the yamaha is going through ok! all i have is the order confirmation..

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
yamahaaaaaaaa.......if they dont have that particular model why not another thing from them? the Rx-397 isnt bad at all.no Dab though.only fm and am

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
Sizzers:

I rearranged my room today well tried to! and i have no room for speaker stands. I can't get rid of my wardrobe! where am i going to put my clothes and other bits and bobs?!?! LOL

What do you mean by "GG sounds pretty good right now"?

Out of the options i listed what do you reckon is best for me?

I haven't heard back from hifix yet so hopefully the order for the yamaha is going through ok! all i have is the order confirmation..

Well at the very least get your speakers lower down the wall and get them out of the corners.

Had another look at your pix earlier today but for some reason I can't get my proper bearings! The speaker to the left of your window can be lowered and moved further to the right to get it out of the corner. Can't see the right side of the window but can't you position the bracket there? I assume it would be in open space but far better there than stuck in the corner of the ceiling. You'll get an instant improvement no matter what and also open up more possibilities with other speaker choices if it comes to that.

As I've said, I've never heard MS speakers so can't comment on their suitability with the Denon. However, it isn't a bright amp so maybe they just weren't meant to be. Still a cracking amp. Bought my CDP for a headphone set-up but also run it through the Denon and it is quite stunning for a micro.

Speak to Kevin at Hifix - nice guy, knowledgeable, and very helpful.

GG is Gaga. Not had her out of my head (or tray!) for about 6-months!

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for all your advice, will see what i can do with speaker placement, im not sure 100% on what you mean by it makes sense by having them away from the corners and lower down. I don't want to drill any more holes so i can try to lower them using the many holes i already have, if it means 1 more hole or something then that's fine but there aer so amny there!

This is why i was thinking about the q acoustic 2020s with their own mounts as i can tilt them down rather then lowering them.

Oh i see what you mean with the GaGa reference now!

A

Anonymous

If there is a strong link in that system it's the Denon. I'm no fan of the M37 personally but the MS speaker are hard and muddy sounding, and have dire timing (hence why busy tracks expose them so badly) and ALL QED cable is just plain bright. Not analytical, not forward, just bright.

The ONLY reason all 3 of those components get great reviews is because Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds have shed loads to shift!

If you can track down a Onkyo CR725 micro it is a stunning little system (miles better than they're current 435 and old 525), stick a pair of I.US700 or Focal 705V speakers on the end of it and you'll do a LOT better!!

If you can't stomach doing all that just get rid of that bloomin' QED rubbish!

A

Anonymous

thelegendarymonch:
If there is a strong link in that system it's the Denon. I'm no fan of the M37 personally but the MS speaker are hard and muddy sounding, and have dire timing (hence why busy tracks expose them so badly) and ALL QED cable is just plain bright. Not analytical, not forward, just bright.

The ONLY reason all 3 of those components get great reviews is because Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds have shed loads to shift!

If you can track down a Onkyo CR725 micro it is a stunning little system (miles better than they're current 435 and old 525), stick a pair of I.US700 or Focal 705V speakers on the end of it and you'll do a LOT better!!

If you can't stomach doing all that just get rid of that bloomin' QED rubbish!

Ok i can't see how the speaker cable used would have that much of an impact on the sound especially with a micro system.

I agree on what you are saying on the pairing of mordaunt short and denon. i think i will jsut try out this yamaha crxd430 system and go from there, that onkyo system sounds good though how will that be with the mordaunt short 902i's?

I may be changing the speakers anyway (to q acoustic 2020's) for placement reasons, you can read below about that....

How much is all this kit you recommmending? you are aware im 19 years old and have a budget to go by. no more then £400 for a full system set up. hi fi, speakers,bracket,and speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

DAB isn't essential but i like idea of having it. most micro systems have dab's on them now anyway. remember i am limited with space, so micro system for now.

A

Anonymous

Hmm how about the onkyo cr-725? or 525.

the 725 model is 50w per channel and look at the price of it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290430216792&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gone down alot....

Hifix haven't got back to me on the yamaha order apart from the order confirmation, i have a strong feeling its out of stock there too.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.

You're just going round in circles mate.

Can I suggest the Cambridge One again, RS are doing some good deals on this, definitely should be on your list?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.

You're just going round in circles mate.

Can I suggest the Cambridge One again, RS are doing some good deals on this, definitely should be on your list?

How's your Welsh dresser? lol

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.You're just going round in circles mate.

couldnt agree more. seems that the OP dislikes the bright sound of the MS speakers, so should just change them. Mordaunt short are a bit like marmite, love them or hate them, and if you hate marmite then changing the bread used for the toast makes no difference.

especially given the OP's choice in music, i cannot see any change of amp being able to tame the brightness of what are VERY bright speakers.

A

Anonymous

basshead:
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.You're just going round in circles mate.

couldnt agree more. seems that the OP dislikes the bright sound of the MS speakers, so should just change them. Mordaunt short are a bit like marmite, love them or hate them, and if you hate marmite then changing the bread used for the toast makes no difference.

especially given the OP's choice in music, i cannot see any change of amp being able to tame the brightness of what are VERY bright speakers.

Ok so im probably just going to go for the q acoustic 2020's with the specific mounts, what micro system or mini seperates would you recommend with them?

Do not want the denon dm37.

Also, it would be preferable if richersounds stock the micro system as i intend to exchange.

I am still awating my yamaha crxd430 but i doubt it will come through as 2 places i ordered from have already said its disconituned and can't get the stock, therefore cancelling the order.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers:fayeanddavid:

How's your Welsh dresser? lol

Sizzers

All good, loving the new addition, and now trying to get some wall brackets/mounts to get said speakers off of the top!!

Did have Roth Oli 1s with the Cambridge One but didn't like the overall effect, so staying with the Mission 771, get decent wall brackets/shelves.............have a listen and see, also I have some Chord carnival cable surplus so going to redo them with that.

Thanks for note, appreciated

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:basshead:

Ok so im just going to go for the q acoustic 2020's with the specific mounts, what micro system or mini seperates would you recommend with them?

Do not want the denon dm37.

Also, it would be preferable if richersounds stock the micro system as i intend to exchange.

I am still awating my yamaha crxd430 but i doubt it will come through as 2 places i ordered from have already said its disconituned and can't get the stock, therefore cancelling the order.

Personally I would consider thinking about alternatives to the 2020's.

There's nothing wrong with building a system around your speakers, but you also need speakers to suit your room and IMO they don't appear to be the best solution for a small bedroom. The 2010's look a better proposition to me, especially with the comments made in the WHF review of the 2020's needing a reasonable amount of free space which, like me, you don't have.

Also consider the Roth Audio OLi 2's. There are a couple of members on here who rave about them, and they use considerably higher end kit. I'm off to Brum to have a listen to them in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm hoping they are that good!

matthewpiano

Sizzers - do let us know what you think of the Roths. Dad has just bought a pair as an upgrade from the Tannoy F1 Customs (off the back of my enthusiasm for them) and he is just as pleased as I am (he is using his with a TEAC Reference 300MkIII system).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts