Hate Naim - so which stereo amp with Kef R100 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
stuartayling said:
So would an Arcam A28 or A38 be significantly better than the A18 I demoed with my Kef R100s? Do you think they are worth trying to find on a clearance price?

Definitely. Far more power in the A28 which means more grip over bass, better ability to control and convey dynamics etc. I listened to an A19 and didn't feel it had anywhere near the power or composure of the A28. Not heard an A38 but would love to!

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
I can get mint used Rega Brio R and Rega DAC for a total of £700, is this a good deal? Obviously a demo is needed to the dealer but it is not that local so wanting to get some advice as if you think this set up would be a significant step up from the Arcam Solo Movie with its built in DAC ? Also Anyone used this combination and does the remote control all functions on both units? Thanks Stuart

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stuartayling said:
I can get mint used Rega Brio R and Rega DAC for a total of £700, is this a good deal? Obviously a demo is needed to the dealer but it is not that local so wanting to get some advice as if you think this set up would be a significant step up from the Arcam Solo Movie with its built in DAC ? Also Anyone used this combination and does the remote control all functions on both units? Thanks Stuart

The Rega combo should cost almost a grand at full price so £700 is excellent.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stuartayling said:
Hate Naim - so which stereo amp with Kef R100 ? I've currently got an Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 receiver but I don't use a sub so just using standard stereo aka 2.0 with a pair of I Kef R100 speakers. So seeing as I like the warm Arcam sound and hated the Naim UnitiQute I had for a little while

Strange, if memory serves well, I'd describe the current Naim 'house sound' as slightly dark, almost velvet with good texture and weight. Compared to Arcams, which, to my ears at least, are more 'airy', lighter in timbre and if anything ... 'brighter'. -

regards

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stuartayling said:

Rega DAC has NO remote control... I wish... :roll:

I've never heard the Arcam Solo, but i do have a Rega Brio R and DAC!

For the possibility that you have to buy the two for £700 you'll fight to manage a better sounding combo!!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If its any help I demoed some Kef R100 today and was reeally impressed - I think I actually prefer them to the RS3!

I should really go and find some Dyns X12 but I am going to have to travel and in reality the R100s were really quite stunning for the size!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
If its any help I demoed some Kef R100 today and was reeally impressed - I think I actually prefer them to the RS3!

I should really go and find some Dyns X12 but I am going to have to travel and in reality the R100s were really quite stunning for the size!

I never demo the KEF R range, in Portugal it's a task almout impossible to do! I would like very much to demo the R300...

I think the Dyns deserve that extra effort Steve.

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
i know i will regret not trying them!

And? Have you got the RS3s and how do they sound?

I stll have my RS1

I have demoed in the last few weeks..........

Totem Dreamcatcher - sound stunning, but where is the bass?

RS3 - Really loved these, excellent soundstage, I was really taken in by them

KEF R100 - Crikey the bass on these was extraordinary, really puchy and fluid across the mid range - really enjoyed them!

Think I need to get the RS3 & R100 on home demo for a few days before I pull the trigger!

And I think I should try the Neat Motive 3 again as my lounge is different now.

Lastly the Dyn Excite X12 - not demoed these yet, but nearest dealer is 70 miles away, think I will kick myself if I dont demo

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

I stll have my RS1

KEF R100 - Crikey the bass on these was extraordinary, really puchy and fluid across the mid range - really enjoyed them!

Think I need to get the RS3 & R100 on home demo for a few days before I pull the trigger!

Lastly the Dyn Excite X12 - not demoed these yet, but nearest dealer is 70 miles away, think I will kick myself if I dont demo

Great stuff. Really pleased you haven't closed the door on other brands of speaker. Still think you'll plump for the RS3s, though. ;)

Regards the Dreamcatchers and their lack of bass. Still convinced the Rega is finding it a bit of a grind with the testing Totems. And that's nothing against the Brio-R, just a natural foible of hi-fi.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

I stll have my RS1

Great stuff. Really pleased you haven't closed the door on other brands of speaker. Still think you'll plump for the RS3s, though. ;)

You might be surprised... ;)

Those KEFs.... Huuuummmm :?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The RS3 would be the sensible choice in all honesty, I will then use my RS1 for rears and my RS Vox in my Home Cineman set uo - I use the front pre-outs on my AV amp to power my fronts via my Brio

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

I stll have my RS1

You might be surprised... ;)

Those KEFs.... Huuuummmm :?

TBH, nothing surprises me with this crazy hobby of ours. And what about the Kefs?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Im only kidding myself - I should just save myself some time and get the RS3 - would have to be in Piano Gloss Black though - not exactly cheap are they?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

I stll have my RS1

Analogue Seduction east of Peterborough has them only about 59 miles from Lincoln if you go Bourne route.

I heard the Dyn X12s were not for me but may work with Rega set up, quite a bit of bass and treble but much more open and detailed than the RS1s.

You will be wanting to try the KEF LS50s next.

TRENDING THREADS