Has anyone used optical siginal switches/splitters!? (Benchmark DAC1)

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Good Afternoon,

I have a Benchmark DAC1 which I'm very fond of and have been used as a headphone amp and pre-amp for playing music from my library on the computer through my HiFI.

Now in a new flat, TV/HiFi etc. set up on one side of the room and PC on the opposite side. Ideally I want the audio from everything to go via the DAC to the Hifi.

There seems to be a few options:

1. Ebay the Benchmark and get a wireless dac (Arcam rDac KW or Audioengine D2) to get the signal from one side of the room to the other and free up the other inputs for TV etc.

2. Keep the Benchmark, buy an autosensing optical/coax signal splitter/switch like this one: http://www.cs1.net/products/audio_authority/1177A.htm and run a cable around the room - approx 10M won't be cheap :cry:

3. Sell everything except speakers and cables, put the money towards a Cyrus 8xpd which has the extra inputs and bite the bullet on the expensive 10M of cable.

I can use coax or optical from the PC but optical would be my preference as I'd need to install an extention card in the PC to provide coax out, not sure if optical would give a cleaner signal over 10M I suspect it wouldn't make any difference..

Any suggestions on this?

Also has anyone used a digital signal splitter either optical or coax and has this had any effect on the sound?

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Craig, that cabling site looks like a great find!

Decided to ditch the wireless options at the moment though the Arcam rDac KW can be picked up for £200 in Richer Sounds so might have a listen but I have a feeling it might be an overall step back from the Benchmark.

Now decided on a DAC with more inputs instead of playing about with splitters etc. and will run a lengh of cable round the room under the edge of the carpet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts