Question Harsh?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. So on everything else they’re fine, but on Adele they sound a bit grating? Either it’s the recording - the most likely - or you’re turning it up a bit more than usual. Or maybe you’ve introduced new items at home that are making the system a bit edgy? Any new phone chargers, PCs, led lighting, wall warts in the same room? (Also, just check all the connections are good. Even unplugging everything, tidying the wires and reconnecting might help).

The QA are very good and voiced to be smooth with budget gear. The B&W are voiced to impress. This comparison is important. Let us know!
Lots of food for thought there thanks! Nothing new as far as the room is concerned or new gadgets so maybe we can discount that. It's not just Adele to be honest, I used her as a good example as probably the most 'grating'!
I'll disconnect everything, have a a good tidy up of cables etc and try again....then do the comparison. I'll let you know! Thanks for your help!! 👍

I love that: gooey! I’d say it’s a lush production, but I get you completely. :)
Hehe. I wouldn't describe it as lush, but after nearly 12 years of Leema ownership it still makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up -- for its price the components image so well.
There's a big difference IMHO between a great system and one you can live with. Yesterday I had mine on constantly for around 14 hours.

Reactions: Robc66
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. So on everything else they’re fine, but on Adele they sound a bit grating? Either it’s the recording - the most likely - or you’re turning it up a bit more than usual. Or maybe you’ve introduced new items at home that are making the system a bit edgy? Any new phone chargers, PCs, led lighting, wall warts in the same room? (Also, just check all the connections are good. Even unplugging everything, tidying the wires and reconnecting might help).

The QA are very good and voiced to be smooth with budget gear. The B&W are voiced to impress. This comparison is important. Let us know!
Agreed. Q Acoustics make some wonderful speakers. Having heard them years ago on a Marantz CR- 603 they sounded the biz.

Reactions: nopiano and Robc66
I keep banging on about synergy. I know its a yawn but if you're spending lots of money you need to be happy with your bundles.

I've dropped a few clangers over the years, most recently (summer 2020). I purchased a used pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary. I actually started a thread about them on here at the time.

As a big fan of the brand from yesteryear, due to lockdown boredom, I tried these Dentons out. In many respects they did exactly as it says on the tin. However, as Mrs. P and our daughter pointed out: The vocals, especially female voices, added a touch of shrillness to the presentation. It wasn't much but it was enough just to upset the overall balance of the system. I couldn't live with them long term.

The ideal scenario is a system that soothes and grabs your attention at the same time. But you won't find that out unless you demo before purchasing... or at the very least, purchase with a 14 or 28 day returns. This'll give you a safety net.

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I keep banging on about synergy. I know its a yawn but if you're spending lots of money you need to be happy with your bundles.

I've dropped a few clangers over the years, most recently (summer 2020). I purchased a used pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary. I actually started a thread about them on here at the time.

As a big fan of the brand from yesteryear, due to lockdown boredom, I tried these Dentons out. In many respects they did exactly as it says on the tin. However, as Mrs. P and our daughter pointed out: The vocals, especially female voices, added a touch of shrillness to the presentation. It wasn't much but it was enough just to upset the overall balance of the system. I couldn't live with them long term.

The ideal scenario is a system that soothes and grabs your attention at the same time. But you won't find that out unless you demo before purchasing... or at the very least, purchase with a 14 or 28 day returns. This'll give you a safety net.
It's not a yawn... I totally get what you are saying and with a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'm excited about finding a dealer to listen to some demos and find the 'right sound' for me. That's what it's all about I guess, something that sounds good to your own ears?!

Tinman1952

This is very true. My personal solution was to buy a room correction device with parametric eq built in. It's a lot easier to tweak the 3kHz response for example than waste time and money on swapping speakers , cables etc...... 🙂

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
So last night I played around with the 'toe-in' of the B&Ws, quite drastically as suggested earlier in this head and that certainly had a noticeable effect on what I am hearing...it did seem to take a degree of edge off the vocals. I am going to hook up the Q Acoustics on Saturday to see (hear!) what I get with them....
Thanks again to everyone for helping out a pure novice!

Reactions: Wil

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
If it’s out of warranty you could spend a few quid on dynamat (<£20) and treat the inside panels of your CD player and the disc drive case. Digital systems seem very prone to distortion caused by high frequency vibration And not a lot of money will have been spent by the manufacturer in sorting out this aspect of your cd spinner. The electronics might be the same as a product further up the range.

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
So I hooked up the Q3020's last night for a comparison. Although there was less of an edge to the vocals, there was also less of everything to be honest. Less scale and depth certainly and probably a slightly 'flatter' less dynamic quality. I quickly reverted back to the B&Ws. I need to get to a dealer to listen to some options to really find out what I am hearing in comparison to alternatives. This could be a very slippery upgrade slope! 😉

So I hooked up the Q3020's last night for a comparison. Although there was less of an edge to the vocals, there was also less of everything to be honest. Less scale and depth certainly and probably a slightly 'flatter' less dynamic quality. I quickly reverted back to the B&Ws. I need to get to a dealer to listen to some options to really find out what I am hearing in comparison to alternatives. This could be a very slippery upgrade slope! 😉
Maybe take along the tracks that bother you, as well as a few you like. That helps highlight the differences, because many popular demo tracks sound pretty good on anything.

Those 3020s are limited by their size. Perhaps listen to their more upmarket models and see how that grabs you.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Can you borrow or try another source? Maybe you have a friendly dealer that can demo a streamer dac with a built in file server? That way you can check whether the synergies between your other components is actually the problem.
It’s a while since I owned a dedicated CD player, but I found all of the ones I owned to generally be the weakest link in my system. I am now the delighted owner of a streaming system and the problems are now all with the recordings or my listening room (That and the fact I have the usual age related hearing degeneration).
In the meanwhile I would get my screw driver out and try applying some dynamat to the inside of the CD player case. Also, see if you can find a way to isolate your CD player, as they are every bit as prone to vibration, microphone and feedback as a record deck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts