Interconnect & Speakers for Pioneer/B&W 685 Hifi Setup???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Pioneer PD-D6/A-A9 and B&W 685 stereo setup a while back, all at half price here in New Zealand. Now using 3 metre Van Den Hul D352 speaker cables (not Biwired) and QED Qunex 3 audio interconnect(1 metre). The speakers are on heavy & sand-filled Dynaudio stands. Recently saw a secondhand Chord Company Chameleon Silver Plus interconnect on local auction site. Will it be a nice upgrade to the Qunex 3 and not bringing out any brightness from the system???

Also, is it worth swapping the B&W to Monitor Audio BR5 floorstanders (the BR5 was the recommended speakers from WhatHifi for Pionner pairs a while back I think???). The BR5 will be brand new so about double what I paid for the B&W.

I usually listen to vocals, pop, jazz, country and occasionally some mild rock.

I also got a 2nd system in the bedroom - NAD 542/320BEE and Mission M71 with QED/Ixos cabling.

Cheers for all the advices & helps.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Anything Chord is great, like the Chord Crimson interconnects and the Chord Silverscreen speaker wire. The silverscreen wire will improve the bass and dynamics of your pioneer combo, which pioneer seems to be lacking.

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
If you want something clean and will flesh out the detail try what I've got.

Audioquest Columbia interconnect and CV4 speaker cable its is great.

Stuff that I used to hear as mush really makes sense now,it will also keep any tendency to over brightness in check as well.

Adnams

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Keep your B&W's as well sorry forgot to add that.Also the Audioquest is copper so will give you a nice firm bass but not a one note stompy thing you normally get.It might be expensive but boy is it worth it.My best friends system made my mind up he changed his cables from quite high end Chord stuff to Audioquest and the system sounded brilliant and its an AV system to boot,The soundstage opened up, it gave you more height than the Chord stuff ever did,I used to have Chord as well and it was like listening to it through a letter box there was no height to the soundstage what so ever.So i will always prefer a good copper cable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I let the Chord cable go. Will definitely gonna try some copper interconnect, like Van Den Hul or Audioquest.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

The chord chameleon silver plus interconnect has a nice open soundstage with depth. I use to use QED Qunex 1 & 2 and the chord is far superior soundwise. I like chord better than van den hul, I found the vandenhul lacked sparkle whereas the chord has a nice open top end. Atlas is nice too.

Cheers

Steve.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Chord cables are very good and the Chord Carnival Silverscreen and Chord Crimson interconnects would suit your system very well indeed

They're both copper so they would be fine!

Dont go off other peoples views; try to see if you can get some on home demo or buy it 2nd hand then at least if it isnt to your liking you ncan then sell it on hopefully without making a loss!

I had the above cables with my Arcam and then NAD/BN&W 685 set-up and it was superb sounding system. Great bass depth that was controlled, a smooth but detailed midrange and crisp/clear treble!

A

Anonymous

Okay, I found a guy selling Van Den Hul D102 III interconnect. Maybe I should give it a go. Any comments??? Thanks.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I had vanden hul 102 III, some love them, on my system to dull at the top end- lacked sparkle, full bass the mids were a little harsh too. The chords sounded better overall ( warmer more natural, but open top end) and kimber pbj too.

Cheers

Steve.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Why no love for Ecosse? I just purchased the Ecosse The Composer and found it to be tad more detailed than the Chord Crimson interconnect. Ecosse and Atlas are basically the same company and yet, Atlas scores more points. The interconnects on the Ecosse Composer are identical to the Atlas Equator and uses Monocrystal copper which is far superior than any OFC substitute.

A

Anonymous

Hi all. Just an update. Took the plunge & bought the VDH D102 III interconnect.

Compared to my old QED Qunex 3, the sound is now more warm, more open, more bass & most importantly the top end is smoother. So I think it is a good match for my B&W & Pioneer setup. Maybe the VDH is too dull for some other more balanced systems. The QED is now on my secondary system - NAD 320BEE/542 & Mission M71.

Chees!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts