Question Harsh?

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,
My system comprises a Marantz CD606UK Edition CD player, Rega Brio amp and B&W 606 S1 speakers on B&W stands filled with kiln dried sand, spiked to a wooden floor and bluetac between speakers and top plate. The components are connected with Chord Company C-Line interconnects and Chord Company Clearway speaker cables.
So, in listening to CDs by Adele and even some Norah Jones, I feel that their voices have quite a harsh edge to them. Would you expect this from my system? I just don't think that it sounds as sweet as it maybe should with voices. Thanks for your help!
Rob

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Oh not another blind purchase ,audio reviews can be helpful they can only be a guide
Try to find a dealer
Yeah, afraid so. That's my plan (to find a local'ish dealer) to audition, as I'm looking to add a Rega Planar 3 at Christmas so looks like I might be looking for either new speakers or amp too! Lesson learned.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I’ll let the reader decide whether the auditioning-wisdom (for speakers) is, in fact, faulty. So recently I got confirmation by the the engineer behind my new Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 of need for 50 hours run-in.

And with anecdotes where certain speakers need many hundreds of hours run-in, is it plausible all stores do justice to the speakers they demo?

Remember, running-in means actually playing music, not just having amp power on with no sound. Imagine stores…

Auditioning is certainly good to see the build/finish of speakers, but we need to be cautious of enough run-in.

Reactions: Robc66

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
B&W speakers have elevated upper mids/treble. Especially the lower ranges but not exclusively so. The Formation Duo's I recently sold had it too, to a lesser degree. It was enough though to squew up frequency response and veer from neutrality. Once heard you can not 'unhear' it and it started to grate on me.

They are imho often voiced for first timers (no offense) and show room appeal. You'll soon find better. Some of their top (Diamond) range are not like this but you'll pay.

Last edited:
Yeah, afraid so. That's my plan (to find a local'ish dealer) to audition, as I'm looking to add a Rega Planar 3 at Christmas so looks like I might be looking for either new speakers or amp too! Lesson learned.
Just out of interest, what is your room acoustics like? for example, do you have hard or suspended flooring or carpets with soft furnishings?

IME a room is as big an influence on sound as the system itself.

B&W speakers have elevated upper mids/treble. Especially the lower ranges but not exclusively so. The Formation Duo's I recently sold had it too, to a lesser degree. It was enough though to squew up frequency response and veer from neutrality. Once heard you can not 'unhear' it and it started to grate on me.

They are imho often voiced for first timers (no offense) and show room appeal. You'll soon find better. Some of their top (Diamond) range are not like this but you'll pay.
This is an issue I have with a lot of modern equipment: They tend to be voiced for a 'instant impact'.

Reactions: Robc66 and RoA

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
For how long have you used the speakers? They may soften a bit after several days, and you’ll get used to them too. What came before?
Well I've had them for about a year now so they are well run in....I have some Q Accoustics 3020's laying around doing nothing so may hook them up for a (slightly unfair) comparison...

Reactions: nopiano

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Just out of interest, what is your room acoustics like? for example, do you have hard or suspended flooring or carpets with soft furnishings?

IME a room is as big an influence on sound as the system itself.
Actually it is a first floor room in a 3 storey house but with enough soft furnishings to to the edge off the presentation....I think!

Reactions: plastic penguin
Well I've had them for about a year now so they are well run in....I have some Q Accoustics 3020's laying around doing nothing so may hook them up for a (slightly unfair) comparison...
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. So on everything else they’re fine, but on Adele they sound a bit grating? Either it’s the recording - the most likely - or you’re turning it up a bit more than usual. Or maybe you’ve introduced new items at home that are making the system a bit edgy? Any new phone chargers, PCs, led lighting, wall warts in the same room? (Also, just check all the connections are good. Even unplugging everything, tidying the wires and reconnecting might help).

The QA are very good and voiced to be smooth with budget gear. The B&W are voiced to impress. This comparison is important. Let us know!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts