Harbeth 40th Anniversary

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think the speaker looks lovely on the outside and what I would expect from a thin wall construction inside. High Quality looking Crossover and drivers.

I think there are many other things that somewhat seem more over priced though £4k is nothing to be sniffed at, at least not for me.

To put this into some perspective and just to give one example, anyone looked at BelCanto's new 'Black' ASC1/MPS1 Digital Hub/Power Amp? (HifiNews Feb 17).

50 grand of your hard earned. Funny thing is it uses bog(git) 'standard' Hypex Modules, such as can be bought from Nord (see what I did there ... sorry) at nearly a 50th of the price. Furthermore, the digital section measures rather badly with below par S/N and dubiously high Jitter.

Most well constructed DAC's, especially those using the latest chips such as from ESS, will better the BelCanto by a multitude. Some of those available for under a hundred quid.

Fair to say probably not one of the company's finest moments, at least not on paper.

So, I know which one I'd rather have, even if they both cost the same ... which they most certainly dont.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
how do it sounds? *biggrin*

harbeth_shl5plus_40th_anniversary_walnut_veneer_hifi_news_jan_2017_stands.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I really cant see what all the fuss is about. That(harbeth) looks stunning. Much better than all the so called 'audiophille bling' that would look at home in an ikea showroom.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
The finish looks really good
I can't see them, but apparrently they come in some beautiful finishes.

Mac

I remember a while ago you mention you were blind.
Well that just proves the sound quality then. No gimmicks to fool you into the hype of good sq.

Ive never heard them but i feel you cant judge a book by its cover

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:

Mac

I remember a while ago you mention you were blind.
Well that just proves the sound quality then. No gimmicks to fool you into the hype of good sq.

Really? I must have missed that Mac.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:

Mac

I remember a while ago you mention you were blind. Well that just proves the sound quality then. No gimmicks to fool you into the hype of good sq.

Really? I must have missed that Mac.
Guilty as charged lol!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do they still use two tweeters? From what I've read elsewhere the original BBC design needed a second tweeter because the they needed a large tweeter could handle a low crossover that was required for use with the 8" mid/bass driver. The problem was that this large tweeter that could handle a ow crossover started rolling off at about 13kHz which is why they used a second smaller tweeter to cover the very high frequencies above 13kHz. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Harbeth. In fact I really like the classic look of them. Much nicer than most modern speakers. It is a genuine question because I'm just wondering why still use two tweeters. Driver technology his improved considerably since the original BBC speakers and it is now possible to use a single tweeter that can crossover smoothly with an 8" mid/woofer whilst also being able to go up to 20kHz which makes the second tweeter unnecessary. Is it just so that the new speakers still looks like the original speaker for marketing reasons?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Why do they still use two tweeters? From what I've read elsewhere the original BBC design needed a second tweeter because the they needed a large tweeter could handle a low crossover that was required for use with the 8" mid/bass driver. The problem was that this large tweeter that could handle a ow crossover started rolling off at about 13kHz which is why they used a second smaller tweeter to cover the very high frequencies above 13kHz. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Harbeth. In fact I really like the classic look of them. Much nicer than most modern speakers. It is a genuine question because I'm just wondering why still use two tweeters. Driver technology his improved considerably since the original BBC speakers and it is now possible to use a single tweeter that can crossover smoothly with an 8" mid/woofer whilst also being able to go up to 20kHz which makes the second tweeter unnecessary. Is it just so that the new speakers still looks like the original speaker for marketing reasons?
I think you need to know more about loudspeakers before you start criticising existing designs, not to mention casting aspersions at the integrity of the company concerned.

Give Alan Shaw at Harbeth a call, he's a very friendly person and will be happy to answer your questions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
steve_1979 said:
I think you need to know more about loudspeakers before you start criticising existing designs, not to mention casting aspersions at the integrity of the company concerned.

Give Alan Shaw at Harbeth a call, he's a very friendly person and will be happy to answer your questions.
... and I think you should be a bit more thoughtful on how you respond to folks posts.

You've been here for a relatively short time yet seem to manage to get up peoples ... . For what it is worth, I can't see anything inflaming or accusing in Steve's post and it is more of a question than a statement.

If you are that concerned, answer rather than refer him to the Harbeth forum/AS.

He has been here a long time, unlike you and is, imho, a very decent guy usually making fair and well balanced contributions even if we have lost him to the dark side.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Upon which of the BBC LS designs do you think this Harbeth is based? There were several, all using the thin wall birch ply cabinets, but I wasn't aware of one that went into production with a super tweeter.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
steve_1979 said:

There's no need to be defensive, I wasn't have a dig at Harbeth. I wish them the best of luck.

I'm asking a genuine question as to why use two tweeters when one will do? It would probably better to ask that question on the Harbeth forum though and get an answer from the man himself.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Had demo of the new Anniversary model this morning, now on order... outselling the likes of Wilson Audio Sabrina by all accounts.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Had demo of the new Anniversary model this morning, now on order... outselling the likes of Wilson Audio Sabrina by all accounts.

Mac

I take it you were smitten by them Mac. *man_in_love*

What are the main differences in sound presentation.

Hi Electro,

I've sent you an Email with my thoughts, but what I will say... essentially the same, but doing everything that much better, more resolution with a sparklier top end, retaining that natural SQ and beautiful mid range, finished in a lovely lacquered walnut finish.

Mac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I take it you were smitten by them Mac.   *man_in_love*

Hi Electro,

I've sent you an Email with my thoughts, but what I will say... essentially the same, but doing everything that much better, more resolution with a sparklier top end, retaining that natural SQ and beautiful mid range, finished in a lovely lacquered walnut finish.

Mac

Hi nice

Are they different drivers to your old pair?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Electro,

Mac

Hi nice

New Harbeth patented SHL5+ anniversary crossover capacitors and new protection bar for Supertweeter.

As per Alan Shaw, it's all a bit guarded about in depth details on physical differences, he just urges you to hear them and make up your own mind and it looks like people have as they are selling like the proverbiall hot ones.

Mac

Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Electro,

Mac

Hi nice

New Harbeth patented SHL5+ anniversary crossover capacitors and new protection bar for Supertweeter.

As per Alan Shaw, it's all a bit guarded about in depth details on physical differences, he just urges you to hear them and make up your own mind and it looks like people have as they are selling like the proverbiall hot ones.

Mac

I agree about AS, as he is sailing close to the arguments he usually dismisses about components making a difference in, say, an amplifier, yet in his speakers they obviously seem to make people prefer the more expensive version! In any case, they are still relatively good value, especially in comparison with Sabrinas - though I do hanker for them as part of a one-day dream system!

Hope you love your new models when they arrive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts