Half-Size Pictures from Sony DVD-Recorder playing home burned DVDs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here's a problem for all you experts!

I have a number of home-burned DVDs, all recorded from the tv programmes I like best. They play back full size on a plain old Sony DVD player, but only appear about 50 to 60% of their full 16:9 size on my Sony KDL32W4000 Full HD tv connected to one of my two Sony DVD-R machines, I have tried changing the connection cable from HDMI to Scart, direct between recorder and tv, but with the same result.

Where am I going wrong? I guess that there is a fairly simple configuration setting that somehow I have missed.

As additional information, commercial dvds play back in the full screen format with absolutely no changes to the settings, still using the HDMI connection. Must admit I am flummoxed.

All sensible ideas welcome.

A

Anonymous

I can't find the setting on my TV at the moment but there is a setting somewhere to do 1:1 pixel mapping that I have a feeling did some interesting things playing back some dvds with different resolutions if it was enabled. Sorry, it was a while ago and I may be wrong !!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I imagine the set is just displaying the feed in it's native resolution. Which would be 576 lines (providing it's broadcast stuff you're watching, not downloaded) rather than the 1080 of your set.

I guess it must be an upscaling recorder? Which seems to be upscaling pre-recorded commercial DVD's, but not DVD-R's?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Big Blue, you are right, of course. My Sony DVD Recorder is an upscale recorder (Model RDR-HXD750B). This recorder handles all other tasks beautifully, so I guess I shall just have to pull the old Sony DVD player out of the wardrobe and plug it in via the old scart lead, but of course it won't connect to my Sony Home Cinema set up (model HT-SF1300) since only HDMI inputs are provided! Perhaps the tv itself will upscale the images, as this is part of its spec?

My other Sony DVD recorder (a slightly older model, without upscaling and without an HDMI output) handles my home-burned DVDs perfectly.

Thanks to all for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts