Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
This debate, as usual has turned ridiculous. The educated opinions will go amiss if they continually get called wrong by users who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Do you know who knows what they are talking about, in terms of having used gothams...?

Does the view expressed in the above quote account for the fact that many opinions herein are not about the gothams per se, but interconnects in general?

Are you seriously saying you've seen lots of opinions in this thread by people who prport to have experience with gothams, but you know they are lying...?

Thatd be quite a claim, o great one.

Hurry up with that there verdict, Mr Duncan!

A

Anonymous

No I'm talking about the people who acknowledge they haven't heard the Gotham cables yet still pass comment to their quality. I'm not guessing here!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:The Chorus is here..........

I would offer to pop round to assist with the blind-testing....but I am writing a mega-blog for posting on Monday. And i'm already being distracted!

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:The Chorus is here..........

I would offer to pop round to assist with the blind-testing....but I am writing a mega-blog for posting on Monday. And i'm already being distracted!

Well that's very kind, but you hate children, and there are three of 'em preventing even sighted testing at the moment (and one trying his best to prevent me from typing this).

On the few tracks I have listened to though (one where I swapped the gotham and chorus back and forth a few times), it is clear that the Chorus is a 'different' cable (hurrah) - treble appears smoother, bass more realistic and extended - all positive attributes which on first listening I would call 'better'. Will reserve judgement on imaging, which appears to be pretty much on a par (though this is simple acoustic material I'm listening to), and I've never really 'got' timing, so can't say whether it's better or not.

Note though that this is a cable that was £200 for half a metre in its day, against a half metre Gotham for £12.50 delivered.....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

al7478:JohnDuncan:Oh and one more thing - the Chorus is noticeably quieter.Eh?

Simple really. He's saying the Chorus interconnect doesn't appear to be as loud as the Gotham.ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
al7478:JohnDuncan:Oh and one more thing - the Chorus is noticeably quieter.Eh?

Simple really. He's saying the Chorus interconnect doesn't appear to be as loud as the Gotham.ÿ

Well if it messes with me volume, its rubbish.

A

Anonymous

I don't remember this being an issue. I feel a test coming on...

John Duncan

I dunno about that - aren't interconnects supposed to be 75ohms, so presumably they have different.....resistance? Inductance? I forget. And maybe the Chord is right and the Gotham wrong (or vice versa). Maybe the different sound is a result of the amp working a bit harder? I dunno, pure speculation. Chebby said his Chord was quieter than the Gotham too.....

A

Anonymous

I've just swapped a VDH Integration I've been using for about 2 weeks between my DAC and amp with a Gotham DIN/RCA cable. VDH cables are comparatively quite similar in style to the Chord equivalent.

Straight away I see what you mean about the feeling of an increase in volume. The harsher treble doesn't help things.

On the plus side the soundstage the Gothams provide is actually pretty good to my ears. I certainly don't feel like I'm listening to a cable that costs £140 less...

WHF on the soundstaging:

"ill-defined, narrow and cluttered - sounds exist on top of each other, rather than being separated."ÿ

ÿ

Oh dear, I must be rubbish at this game. Time to sell up?

John Duncan

Yeah I've just done another quick swap (well a slow one actually, the Neutriks on the Gotham are a ****** to move) and now am not so sure. Anyway, not that fussed, just an observation. The sound of both sounded a bit closer this time round as well - maybe I should give up too
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:x
Oh dear, I must be rubbish at this game. Time to sell up?

Certainly not! Your ears are the most important judge....

It's also worth remembering that we test cables with both a range of kit and broad selection of music.
emotion-2.gif

Messiah

I must admit that it is amusing that so many people that have the Gothams and have recommended these cables are are all now doubting themselves because WHF did a review. Does everyone buy kit on their recommendations only?? What if they suddenly rubbished other kit you owned would you decide to change it?? :)

I think WHF should try a little experiment and recommend some dire kit and see how many people buy it and like it!!

I think if you liked the Gothams then great. Just stay with 'em.

A

Anonymous

Messiah, I was joking above, I would lose too much money if I was to sell up anyway

I don't doubt my own opinion, that's why I have been arguing against an unfair review by WHF. Not for me for the people who come on the site and glance at reviews. A 2 star review wouldn't get a second glance.

It's a long thread, but I get the feeling it'll be a circular...ÿ

Messiah

I know you were joking Octopo and I have been reading your arguments! It's nice to see someone sticking by their opinions of the cable.

I wonder how the 2 Star verdict has affected the sales of the cable?? Maybe we should ask him??

This thread will certainly go on.........

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Guys, you do realise there is a "Your Opinion" section on the review designed just for these purposes where you can write what you think about the cable. For all the people so adamant that WHF have got it wrong, I'm surprised to see no views at all posted there...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Octopo:
an unfair review by WHF.

Unfair how?

Not too sure, maybe you could enlighten me?

In the sincerest manner possible: I don't see how so many people of various experience have been finding the GAC1 good enough to recommend to others. I think the comments on the Gotham ebay page a bit ludicrous but many just thought them a good cable at a good price.ÿThen WHF come along and destroy a mans reputation.

I have been building my own cables of various sorts for a long time. Finding the correct components and having the skill to do this is beyond the majority of the hifi community. These cables offered this service for a comparatively tiny mark up compared to some of the overpriced offerings out there.

I will argue for the G's till the cows come home. 2 stars is too harsh.ÿ

A

Anonymous

My cows are of the highland variety. They're out most of the year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts