Got a sky hd 1tb box for £149.00 and free self install.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi daveh75! Yes - mine is a Thomson box and about 2 1/2 years old. The guy at Sky actually said something like, "It's going to be very expensive to replace the box with a similar one, but I can do you a special deal on a new 1TB box." This was after I'd done the sob story about the state of my present box, but before I'd even had the chance to ask for the special deal. I must have just struck lucky!

A

Anonymous

Iv had a pace box for about 2 years. I didn't get a letter telling me about the recall. So i chatted on Facebook with Sky and they said they would do a straight swap, even way after its year warranty. Thanks Sky.

A

Anonymous

Hi Daveh75, the first two HD boxes I had were Thomson ones but both went wrong, I then had a Samsung one, but when that went wrong it was replaced with the standard DRX780UK Amstrad HD box which has been working OK. I have been an HD subscriber for 27 months but am still not being offered the £149 deal.

A

Anonymous

sonycentre:It was offered to me for £149.00 with free self install.

Hi Sony,

"Free self install" - that's very generous of you, how much do you normally charge yourself to install your own equipment?
emotion-5.gif

emotion-2.gif

Nick

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Read the WHFSV article on the 1TB box last weekend, and on cue my 4 year old Thompson HD box died on Monday. Several suggested methods to tease it out of standby failed, so two calls to Sky but no £149 offer on the table despite saying all the things recommended by this very timely thread.

An email to Sky late on Tuesday mentioning Virgin Media, my loyalty, and a letter with the £149 offer I received last year, and - hey presto, a reply first thing Weds offering the box at 149 and free delivery. Arrived within 45 hrs (seems disappointing now, having read Sorreltiger's post!). All set up but with a couple of niggles - the modem doesn't work with phone line connected (engineer coming out next week) and am disappointed that none the huge Anytime plus downloadable content has subtitles. Nor does 3D stuff come to mention it.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
ok i managed to get a 1tb box from sky for the offer price and have installed it over the weekend but sad to say i'm not impressed at all with the picture quality compared to my pace hd box. i've got it setup exactly the same way on my isf calibrated pioneer pdp-lx5090 plasma.

standard def is softer as many others have reported re these amstrad 1tb boxes. i also think hd channels also look less sharp than they did on the pace box. i've had this confirmed by my isf calibrater guy too who doesn't rate these new boxes and puts it down to inferior video processing chips in them.

also i get a single pop noise through my speakers when changing channels. never happened on pace box.

the only good thing about it is it's nice new sleek dimensions and obviously the big storage space.

so sadly i think i'm sending it back.

how do i revert back to my old box? do I have to re-pair my viewing card with it? if so where do i do this? do i set it up with the 'new install' option as i did with this new 1tb box? or will it just work as normal once i've plugged it all back in?

daveh75

lastcoyote:

how do i revert back to my old box? do I have to re-pair my viewing card with it? if so where do i do this? do i set it up with the 'new install' option as i did with this new 1tb box? or will it just work as normal once i've plugged it all back in?

You'll need to phone Sky and get them to pair the card with the old box.

A

Anonymous

I've decided to keep mine because of the large storage space.
emotion-8.gif

Q Daveh75 - Do you think Sky would pair the card with the old box too so that I could use it in another room without another multi room monthly payment?

A

Anonymous

emotion-8.gif

Q Daveh75 - Do you think Sky would pair the card with the old box too so that I could use it in another room without another multi room monthly payment?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnymunro:
emotion-8.gif

They might but you'll only get the Freeview channels on that box.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:johnnymunro:

emotion-8.gif

Thanks _lhc, their generosity at times is overwhelming. Can you suggest please any other ways of using this box without it becoming redundant?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnymunro:the_lhc:johnnymunro:

emotion-8.gif

Thanks _lhc, their generosity at times is overwhelming. Can you suggest please any other ways of using this box without it becoming redundant?

Well, you can use it without a card but then you get even less channels as you don't then get C4 etc as it's encoded (but still free). I think they'll pair it for you but equally they might want you to buy their freeview card instead, which is £20.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:johnnymunro:the_lhc:johnnymunro:

emotion-8.gif

Thanks _lhc, their generosity at times is overwhelming. Can you suggest please any other ways of using this box without it becoming redundant? Well, you can use it without a card but then you get even less channels as you don't then get C4 etc as it's encoded (but still free). I think they'll pair it for you but equally they might want you to buy their freeview card instead, which is £20.

If I was to use it without a card would I not just get the 'insert your viewing card logo?'

daveh75

the_lhc:johnnymunro:
emotion-8.gif

A viewing card can only be paired to one box at a time. However, the card will work in your old box without being paired to it, you just wont have access to the premium channels, i.e movies,sports or any stand alone channels.

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have just called Sky,told them about my monthly payment around £90 and my flakey box etc etc. They quotred me £200 plus delivery charges for the 1Tb box.

Said I might as well cancel as other people have got it for less.

They said

"hold the line sir I will put you through to the cancellation dept"

5 minutes later still waiting.......

I then hung up.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Phone them back and ask for cancellations from the start of the call. Tell them you are disappointed with the service/box and you're considering cancelling.

I did this 3 months ago and got 2 x SKY+ boxes and an ordinary digibox. I phoned them again last week cos my original Pace box was failing to record again (the original problem 3 months ago). An engineer was sent out, took one look at the box and replaced it with a new Amstrad one. No fee.

Be polite and courteous.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts