Sky+ HD hard drive problems

It looks as if my Sky+ HD's hard drive is dying, with many of my previous recordings shown as "failed".

My options are:

1) Replace the hard drive: how much will it cost? Can I do it myself?

2) Buy a new Sky+ HD box: I've been offered a Sky+ HD 2TB box for £185 brand new. Is this a good deal?

3) Is there any way way Sky will replace my box for free, or for a nominal price? How much will they charge?

daveh75

bigboss said:
It looks as if my Sky+ HD's hard drive is dying, with many of my previous recordings shown as "failed".

Tried a planner rebuild? This can sometimes cure problems with failed recordings etc.

My options are:1) Replace the hard drive: how much will it cost? Can I do it myself
The price of an HDD. Needs to be an AV/CE rated one which use less power and produce less heat. Yes.

2) Buy a new Sky+ HD box: I've been offered a Sky+ HD 2TB box for £185 brand new. Is this a good deal
I personally wouldn't pay that for a Sky box

3) Is there any way way Sky will replace my box for free, or for a nominal price? How much will they charge?

It's worth calling CS to see. Very much pot luck as to whether you get through to an agent that can offer a 'retention deal' though (Agents are limited to how many deals they can offer in a given month)

If not the standard service call (£65) covers box replacement. It will be a 'refurb' though.

jjbomber

bigboss said:

This is a weird one. On my account I can but the box for £149 witha Sky+ HD contract for 12 months. If I log on to my Mother's account, she can get exactly the same box and contract for just £49. Both are on self install.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
bigboss said:

This is a weird one. On my account I can but the box for £149 witha Sky+ HD contract for 12 months. If I log on to my Mother's account, she can get exactly the same box and contract for just £49. Both are on self install.

I got the 2TB box in December for £149. I tried to bargain with them on price but they wouldn't budge on price even though I've got a full subscription and HD multiroom.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Looks like a good option BB, but you could ring Sky and talk to them to see what they will offer you.

Exactly the same thing happened to me, and so I rang Sky and told them that my box had failed, and because of this there was no point paying for their service anymore, so I want to leave.

They offered me a new 500GB box for (I think) around £65 if I fitted it myself. I tried to get a 1TB box, but they did refuse that unless I paid around £150. I dug me heals in, and eventually got an engineer out to replace my dish and wiring, and a new 500GB box for nothing.

It's worth trying that route as long as you're prepared go the whole distance, and not back down.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Replace the hardrive. Its dead easy to do - just get a 1.5TB 3.5'' SATA drive.

Note that the normal HD sky boxes only support up to 1.5TB. You can install a 2TB but it will only show as 1.5

The hidden menu with rebuild and other options is reached by pressing services,0,0,1,select

849bagman

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello, just joined what seems a very helpful site. I have a nw message from Sky: SKY playback and recording are not available! Tried the disc rebuild: Message Planner cannot be rebuilt in discless mode. Think the disc may have failed , but no previous problems.

It is a Samsung with 1Tb drive approx 3 years old..

Am I looking at a disc replace ( happy to do this , it's basiclly a computer) or a new box !!???

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts