Google OS

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
After reading this thread it got me thinking, i am currently running windows vista & i may decide to upgrade to a newer OS, i don't fancy windows 8 & you can't purchase apple's OS seperately, my question is will google be releasing a google OS for laptops & desktops, if they are then i might be interested.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath. I would imagine any PC OS from Google will follow the Android model - being open source and licensed to various hardware manufacturers.

Check out Ubuntu as genuine alternative to Windoze. Version 12 is really nice and really easy to use.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Very similar to Ubuntu. It gained a lot of support when Ubuntu first punted out the Unity interface. I no longer have my netbook, so I'm using Mac OSX now, but I found it to be a great OS.

The usual caveats apply and no OS is everything to all men, etc.

Using something like XBMC, Linux netbooks can make superb affordable multi media streamers (as I'm sure you're aware).

daveh75

roger06 said:
What is Mint's usp Overdose? I'm not familiar with it...
Its an Ubuntu respin but with a better/more user friendly DE (Cinnamon) than Unity and being more of a community project means users needs/wants are considered unlike Canonicals approach.

daveh75

simonlewis said:
After reading this thread it got me thinking, i am currently running windows vista & i may decide to upgrade to a newer OS, i don't fancy windows 8 & you can't purchase apple's OS seperately, my question is will google be releasing a google OS for laptops & desktops, if they are then i might be interested.

Google already has its own OS, Chrome, though its only officially available on Chromebook/Boxes.

Chromium OS, the project Chrome is based on, source code is available or you could use/install one of hexxeh's pre-built images if you wanted to try it.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
simonlewis said:
Google already has its own OS, Chrome, though its only officially available on Chromebook/Boxes. Chromium OS, the project Chrome is based on, source code is available or you could use/install one of hexxeh's pre-built images if you wanted to try it. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Well I've jailbroken my Apple TV and hacked Android onto an HP TouchPad but I reckon this would be a whole world of pain! :oops: Let's face it, Chromium is only yet another Linux derivative so why no just go for something with an easy installer like Ubuntu...

But I guess if you're up for a challenge. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts