Good amplifier match for Elac FS247 floor speakers

Hi all

I am looking to buy a stereo amplifier for my two FS247 floor speakers from german ELAC. But I don't know what to buy. They have a very distinct JET tweeter and they are the speakers are very bright and exposed. So I have heard they need careful matching.

Right now they are hooked up to an DENON AVR-1908 surround receiver, since I previously had 5.1 speakers, and now I want to move to stereo with great sound.

My setup also includes a Samsung LED TV, a PS4 console, a Sonos Connect, an Apple TV3, all for which I also want the sound to output through the ELAC speakers. This setup is not going to change over the next many years.

I have read a lot about stere amplifiers, and gotten recommendations on Rotel, Rega and Cambridge. I know I need to make listening tests in shops, but I seriously would like upfront advice on what would be a good match.

I like to listen to various music categories, in particular the likes of Phil Collins, Elton John, Adele, Michael Jackson, and songs where I can hear the singers voice clearly. I never turn the volume much up. I need to have great sound even at low volumes.

The Cambridge CXA60 looks great and has the capabilities I guess I need. That is also my budget limit, around 600£. But I don't know if it is a good match. Yet I have heard that the Rega Brio-R is a good match. Both are from England.

These are the specs of my speakers
inv3td.jpg
[/img]

1. Any recommendations for a stereo amplifier and a DAC (either built in or external)?
2. Do you think the sound upgrade from my DENON AVR-1908 to a stereo amplifier is worth it?

Thanks guys
Philip

Philip Rohrhuber said:
Hi all

I am looking to buy a stereo amplifier for my two FS247 floor speakers from german ELAC. But I don't know what to buy. They have a very distinct JET tweeter and they are the speakers are very bright and exposed. So I have heard they need careful matching.

Right now they are hooked up to an DENON AVR-1908 surround receiver, since I previously had 5.1 speakers, and now I want to move to stereo with great sound.

My setup also includes a Samsung LED TV, a PS4 console, a Sonos Connect, an Apple TV3, all for which I also want the sound to output through the ELAC speakers. This setup is not going to change over the next many years.

I have read a lot about stere amplifiers, and gotten recommendations on Rotel, Rega and Cambridge. I know I need to make listening tests in shops, but I seriously would like upfront advice on what would be a good match.

I like to listen to various music categories, in particular the likes of Phil Collins, Elton John, Adele, Michael Jackson, and songs where I can hear the singers voice clearly. I never turn the volume much up. I need to have great sound even at low volumes.

The Cambridge CXA60 looks great and has the capabilities I guess I need. That is also my budget limit, around 600£. But I don't know if it is a good match. Yet I have heard that the Rega Brio-R is a good match. Both are from England.

These are the specs of my speakers

1. Any recommendations for a stereo amplifier and a DAC (either built in or external)?2. Do you think the sound upgrade from my DENON AVR-1908 to a stereo amplifier is worth it?

Thanks guysPhilip

Good speakers but from what I can recall you are going to need a smooth and very neutral amp. The inbuilt dac would limit your choices.

Are you considering second hand for that budget or do you want new?

I am not too sure you are going to be able to hook all those items up to a stereo amp, perhaps between it and an add-on DAC you could. Not my territory so perhaps someone else could answer that.

The Arcam also looks neat.

The Denon surround receiver makes them sound pretty ok I guess, but only when turning the volume very high, which is not what I want. The higher the volume goes, the better the speakers sound.

But I imagine that I can get a lot more crisp and detailed sound, and more smooth sound, if paired with a good amplifier.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You know, I'd always say to anyone running an av receiver don't be afraid to play in the options of the amp.

Things like turning off all unused channels when doing stereo checking speaker level settings even setting LFE to mains and if possible try the digital our from your source use the amps DAC.

Have a really good dig around the options - then if no improvement can be found, fair play audition the Arcam.

Funnily you say you have to crank the amp, many complain the poor attenuation on theirs with the amp maxing out at around 9o'clock on the dial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts