Getting the last bit of SQ out of my sytem

gasolin

I have had my Marantz PM6005 for just a bit more then 3 weeks, my supra ply3.4 is new as well as the supra biline mini jack to phono/rca cable and my boston a25 i have had for about 1 month,my dragon fly is mabye 1.½ or 2 month (so fare so good).

I have a few questions:

I found my old rotel RCD-965BX LE Discrete, theres 1 button missing and the open,close button is about to fall of,theres a bit high pitch low sound, the coaxial output is a bit rate that makes my amp blink(coaxial light) that accordig to the manual indicates a bit rate not compitabel with my amp = no sound, so a youtube video where the dac in a cd player is actually important for the sound if you use it as a transporter, to a dac like the one in my Pm6005 amp. Tried my cheap philips blueray player and sound (coaxial) wasn't as good as my rotel using the analog output, not shure if the dac in the rotel will make it sound better if i use the PM6005 dac, since the youtube video said that the dac in a cdplayer is important to sound if i use it as a transporter.

Starting to use my cd's i have, although i still use tidal alot, so i have ordered som better interconnect that i have (atleast i thing it will sound better) QED Profile Audio.

If i want to upgrade to a fully functional cdplayer with good sound is there any cheap (used) cdplayer you can recommend my to look for, i can get a cheap marantz cd-63 se, the guy in the youtube video, was talking about the normal marantz cd-63 and that a dac in a cplayer is important for the sound when used as a transporter, he didn't liked the sound from the cd 63 but said that the se version is a huge improvment in sound over the cd 63 and the ki is just slightly better then the cd-63 se.

I use my amp all day and i'm very surprised because i never feel it's getting hot touching the top of the amp, mabye a few degress over ambient temperatures, is that normal for a modern full sized amp or is my speakers just a very easy load for my amp?

Last question:

I feel the amp,speakers,cable sounds good, but when i play loud about 11 o'clock, sometimes before or after 11 o'clock, depending on what i play and the level it's recorded in, the top is a bit to intrusive,loud, the bass is normally very clean but not always so powerfull,loud to compliment the open and mabye a bit bright top when i play loud. Is it just the charateristic of my amp or that i'm sitting to close to my speakers (desk/pc) when i play loud? I never turn up my amp so loud that i get distortion, never had it that loud, but i feel the charateristic of the amp change a bit when i play loud (my speakers are angled towars me)

Can i change it a bit without using the eq? (i always use Source direct)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
I have had my Marantz PM6005 for just a bit more then 3 weeks, my supra ply3.4 is new as well as the supra biline mini jack to phono/rca cable and my boston a25 i have had for about 1 month,my dragon fly is mabye 1.½ or 2 month (so fare so good).

I have a few questions:

I found my old rotel RCD-965BX LE Discrete, theres 1 button missing and the open,close button is about to fall of,theres a bit high pitch low sound, the coaxial output is a bit rate that makes my amp blink(coaxial light) that accordig to the manual indicates a bit rate not compitabel with my amp = no sound, so a youtube video where the dac in a cd player is actually important for the sound if you use it as a transporter, to a dac like the one in my Pm6005 amp. Tried my cheap philips blueray player and sound (coaxial) wasn't as good as my rotel using the analog output, not shure if the dac in the rotel will make it sound better if i use the PM6005 dac, since the youtube video said that the dac in a cdplayer is important to sound if i use it as a transporter.

Starting to use my cd's i have, although i still use tidal alot, so i have ordered som better interconnect that i have (atleast i thing it will sound better) QED Profile Audio.

If i want to upgrade to a fully functional cdplayer with good sound is there any cheap (used) cdplayer you can recommend my to look for, i can get a cheap marantz cd-63 se, the guy in the youtube video, was talking about the normal marantz cd-63 and that a dac in a cplayer is important for the sound when used as a transporter, he didn't liked the sound from the cd 63 but said that the se version is a huge improvment in sound over the cd 63 and the ki is just slightly better then the cd-63 se.

I use my amp all day and i'm very surprised because i never feel it's getting hot touching the top of the amp, mabye a few degress over ambient temperatures, is that normal for a modern full sized amp or is my speakers just a very easy load for my amp?

Last question:

I feel the amp,speakers,cable sounds good, but when i play loud about 11 o'clock, sometimes before or after 11 o'clock, depending on what i play and the level it's recorded in, the top is a bit to intrusive,loud, the bass is normally very clean but not always so powerfull,loud to compliment the open and mabye a bit bright top when i play loud. Is it just the charateristic of my amp or that i'm sitting to close to my speakers (desk/pc) when i play loud? I never turn up my amp so loud that i get distortion, never had it that loud, but i feel the charateristic of the amp change a bit when i play loud (my speakers are angled towars me)

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to turn up the bass when playing music very loud. You might well have a nasty accident.

The sound you describe when playing loud (slightly harsh treble, loss of bass power) might be signs that the amp's protective circuitry is cutting in in order to prevent damage.

gasolin

matt49 said:
gasolin said:

I have a few questions:

Last question:

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to turn up the bass when playing music very loud. You might well have a nasty accident.

The sound you describe when playing loud (slightly harsh treble, loss of bass power) might be signs that the amp's protective circuitry is cutting in in order to prevent damage.

I don't get dropouts,distortion,fuse turning of sound or anything i can think of relalted to overload (i mentioned i'm suprised of how cold my amp is no matter how loud i play or after a whole day, i'm not stressing my amp,making it hot)

I don't feel it's a deep powerfull bass amp, i have with most music a more clean and open sound rather then warm and full bodied sound, where the bass is clean and not at all muddy,boomy (unless it's a bad recording) when i do play loud on some tracks like sheffiels drum and track record the sound is very tight and powerfull at high volume almost razer sharp, it has a bit of edge to the sound rather being a bit polite (cons about boston a26, but not a con about the a25's i have according to whathifi review), mabye the combination is a bit analytic.

I have read that marantz has a more warmer sound then denon (i have used a Denon DRA-F109 with optical cable for a long time), as i mentioned i feel the sound is more clear and open then warm and full bodied,how ever i don't think i couldn't get a much better sound when i listen to vey good record songs on medium levels.

It might help a bit not to play so loud sitting at my pc next to my speakers and mabye don't angle them.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
I don't get dropouts,distortion,fuse turning of sound or anything i can think of relalted to overload

Amp overload generally doesn't produce dropouts or what we would normally think of as distortion (a crackling, fuzzy sound). Amp overload is usually indicated by compression and hardness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts