Getting Rid of the Scart Lead From My System

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I've got a standard Virgin cable TV box with only scart connectivity. Currently it is connected direct to my wall-mounted TV via a long scart lead and whilst I have some cable management in place it would make things simpler if I could get rid.

Would a scart to composite lead > my Sony 2400ES be an acceptable solution? Something like this:

scart-to-component-2m.jpg

Would this be a downgrade on picture quality or even an improvement (via the Sony's video processing)?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Generally a simple SCART to component cable won't work as the colour system differs between the two types of input and needs to be changed. It depends if the Virgin box has the option to output YPbPr (or YUV as it's sometimes called) signal from the Scart socket or only RGB. If not, you'd probably need something like this.

As with any conversion, you'll probably find the picture is slightly compromised by this - the only way to tell if you're happy to live with this or not is to try it.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the V box settings and there is the option: 'V Box Colour Output' with the choices 'Composite' or 'RGB' so does that suggest it can output YPbPr? If so I may give it a go and see what the results are.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Composite isn't the same as component - it's an old technology that produces a pretty poor picture compared to RGB Scart or Component. If you're going to use this, you'd just need an adaptor like this and then a cable like this to connect into the amp. This will degrade the picture considerably though.

A

Anonymous

Why don't you give Virgin a call and see if you can get a free/cheap upgraded PVR. Would be a better solution that having to use inferior cables...

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Keene electronics sell a scart to HDMI convertor. I think they are about £140. They also do a scart to component convertor at about £80.

Seems a bit of an expensive way of getting rid of the scart. Can you not get a different box from Virgin?

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
dougolada:Why don't you give Virgin a call and see if you can get a free/cheap upgraded PVR. Would be a better solution that having to use inferior cables...

Yeah I thought about this but it would probably involve me buying into a more expensive TV package and I don't really watch much TV, my Lovefilm subscription takes up most of my viewing. You mentioned getting a second hand V+ box, can you just take your encryption card out of a standard box and stick it in the V+ box and go?

A

Anonymous

Try it and say you are considering cancelling your subsrciption because you arent able to enjoy HD quality because of the outdated box. I suspect they will upgrade for you

donhay

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
dougolada:For £50 you can get a V+HD box on Fleabay...

Which will be stolen property belonging to Virgin as they don't sell only rent media boxes. It won't work anyway as it needs to be paired to a subscription card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts