Getting a new CD player

Gray

Quite a few people go for DVD players when their CDPs pack up.
They're a cheap option with the option of using an external DAC.
(If not quite as operationally convenient as a dedicated CDP)
Maybe you've already opened up your 6003 and had a look - to ensure a spotless laser lens and no dried out lubrication on moving parts - that's what I'd be doing first.

it Could be something simple, like the lens needs cleaning, or the mechanism is sticking. ( had a rega do this)
As suggested, pop it open and do a bit of basic cleaning.
If the laser/mechanism is faulty. Maybe a competent computer repair guy could pop one in there for you.
Or, use it as a reason to upgrade? If you go for the 6006 uk se, it has a front USB port, so you can use that instead of the cd drawer.

I do this now with my SA14S1SE. 👍

DCarmi

I was going to replace my old defunct CD with a CD6006. The CD5005 seemed to compare favourably and was much cheaper. I don't need a USB port. I got a mint condition one from an Az warehouse deal on Prime Day for £134, which I consider a bargain. .

I'd agree that it is worth trying to clean the lens first.

gasolin

I think all 3 unit's might use the same dac (CD5005,6006 and PM6005), so buy what ever is cheapest and use the built in dac in the PM6005/6006 will give you CD6006 sound quality or very close if you don't use a marantz cdplayer.

If Greenwich_Man has a PM6005 or 6006 amp he could use the dac with a cheap cdplayer if cleaning the lens don't work

Last edited:

gasolin

Take it to a doctor, mabye it's just a new laser which isn't expensive

Reactions: Greenwich_Man

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
What did you do with your old CD player? I might be interested in it.
I have replaced the laser in a CD63 MK II and it works now but only if you buy genuine Phillips lasers , some of those on ebay are worse than the ones you are replacing.

Last edited:

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi Greenwich Man,
I got a notification by email but your post is not here.
I'm also on Artof Sound forum, have you looked there? They allow PMs.
I'll send you a PM.
Majex45

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts