Freeview HD PVR - Philips / Pace HDT 8520

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Moscool - do you have an e-mail address for Philips to send my comments on the HDT8520? I've tried through their website E-mail contact system, but cannot seem to actually complete the process as it always comes up with an error when I try and send. Very frustrating!!

Thanks,

Nick

A

Anonymous

Err, no: I went through the help section, I turned down an offer for instant chat and was able to send the email. I also received a confirmation shorty afterwards.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Official response from Philips is that they're aware of the various technical issues with the DTR5520 and HDT8520 and a software fix will be issued in September. Full story and statement here.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. It sounds like the software update availability has slipped somewhat from July/August previously reported form various sources. I for one hope Philips is taking a measured approach to correcting these issues and not the quick fix knee jerk one which led them to launch these boxes too soon. IMO it would be highly beneficial (and possibly recover some of the bad PR) if they identified at least the key changes/fixes they plan to incorporate in the first update to the public. Then at least the majority of unhappy customers can assess and decide whether they feel re-assured enough to stick with these products or cut their losses. After all, the PVR version has the potential to be top class if you couple its brilliant HD picture quality, size and styling with great functionality and reliability.

Here's hoping!!

jonobrain

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought this box last week... the biggest problem I have is the menus e.g. EPG, Recording etc don't seem to be outputted through the SCART connection only HDMI.

I'm using a Triax Tri-Link Kit so it can be viewed in other rooms in the house but if none of the menus are displayed then its completely useless. Is this right? Will this be fixed in the software update or is this just how the box will work?

Any help much appreciated... the software has it flaws but if this is fixed I think I would keep this box and wait for the update.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
With us now being firmly in the early July period, I've been emailing Philips to see if I can get some update on when this patch is due. After all, if it's due early July, then surely they should have a better idea of timescales now you would think. Responses so far have been far from enlightening or even promising with just the standard, "it'll be released when it's released, sorry old chum" mantra being quoted back to me. I'll hold off posting actual emails till I've given them a fair chance (trying to escalate beyond standard customer service at the moment), but will keep any useful updates I get posted here.

jonobrain:I bought this box last week... the biggest problem I have is the menus e.g. EPG, Recording etc don't seem to be outputted through the SCART connection only HDMI ... Is this right? Will this be fixed in the software update or is this just how the box will work?

Haven't used the box via SCART I'm afraid, but will try and hook it up later on and see what I get. Have you tried contacting Philips on this issue?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, I myself have been getting a bit annoyed with Philips on this one and have also been getting nowhere with the email and chat facilities except for the blanket "it'll be released when it's released" mantra. So I asked how I could escalate the matter this morning and was given a phone number.

After a few minutes, I got through to a member of the technical team, who came back to me to say, although specific bugs couldn't be listed, the priority of the upgrade was to fix the picture and sound issues (i.e. the audio sync problem that I've seen a few times as well) and issues with the EPG. When I pressed further, EPG issues included the likes of timers being set for several different +1 and SD channels when something is set to record. She mentioned she'd been speaking with a few customers to get more info on all the issues that have been reported and, she effectively said that they were looking to fix "all the issues reported so far" in this update. I also asked about the corruption in the main Timers list and she confirmed this was one of the issues that had been reported and was being looked into.

She also said the upgrade was being tested and it should be released soon. When I queried the end of July release date currently being touted by email and chat support, she said it should be mid July and end of July really was a worst case scenario.

Importantly, I really got the impression this lady was on the front line of developing the patch - there was no hesitation in any of her answers to my technical queries about the bugs on the box (and she was familiar with all of them!) and she spoke specifically of "we're looking to fix this", "I've spoken to customers with the issue to get more details" etc. as though part of the team working on this.

I have to say, it's definitely put my mind at rest a little now I've finally managed to get a response and I'm more confident we will see some big improvements from the upgrade when it arrives (hopefully as she says mid July), within the next week or so. I just wish it hadn't been so difficult to get there, but then that's a big company for you - it's all about speaking to the right people.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the latest update, Prof. Philips are aware of this thread (and the issues) so I hope this is a sign of them reacting to the persistence of you and others
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

All good stuff. Humax announced today that their HDR-Fox T2 will be released in 2 wks. All I need is another Prof or WHF review and I might be ready to take the plunge. The Philips does sound promising - with the bug free promise due at the same time as the Humax launch. I will be scanning the Forum on an hourly basis!

Thanks again for a great thread.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Thanks for the latest update, Prof. Philips are aware of this thread (and the issues) so I hope this is a sign of them reacting to the persistence of you and others
emotion-21.gif

Hopefully yes, though I have to say, an update saying similar as they've said to me on their support website, or even just a post from someone official on one of the many forums discussing the box would go a long way in putting people's fears at rest...

(hint hint Philips / Pace
emotion-5.gif
)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
jonobrain:I bought this box last week... the biggest problem I have is the menus e.g. EPG, Recording etc don't seem to be outputted through the SCART connection only HDMI.
I'm using a Triax Tri-Link Kit so it can be viewed in other rooms in the house but if none of the menus are displayed then its completely useless. Is this right? Will this be fixed in the software update or is this just how the box will work?

Any help much appreciated... the software has it flaws but if this is fixed I think I would keep this box and wait for the update.

Okay, finally got round to trying this out and you're quite correct, no menus when using the SCART connection. Very bizarre. Have tried adjusting all the settings and can't get them. No idea if this will be fixed in the update, but would say if it's something you need, it's worth logging the issue with Philips to ensure they are aware of it.

A

Anonymous

I'd experienced this same issue with the use of the scart lead making the menus disappear. Although this coincided with a bigger issue which I posted on previously (eventually resolved by using a different HDMI cable to the one supplied although another HDMI cable I bought did the same thing - so beware!) so was more bothered about getting that sorted.

Has anyone experienced problems with fast forwarding when you use the live pause? For example I paused one of the recent world cup games for no more than two minutes. Went to fast forward through the action and it took me right back to when I'd first turned the channel on some two hours before and wouldn't get past this point. Very frustrating.

A

Anonymous

Ant,

Yep I've had that one. Initially my first few attempts at pausing Live tv all went well, but I think that may have had more to do with pausing at the start of a programme and not using the FFwd/Rew functions. I've found that when you try to resume the paused Live tv, the recording just jumps back to the start of when that channel was switched on rather than at the point of pausing. Very frustrating!!

Nick

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Wow - finally something official from Philips on their website - update now due early August.

Not particularly happy considering only a few days ago I was told end of July was a "worst case scenario" - it really doesn't give me great confidence that there's any kind of communication going in the support teams. On the other hand, there are no other boxes around at the moment that I'd want to swap it out for - the Humax and the 3view boxes look interesting, but I'd still want to try them out before swapping.

So I've decided current plan is to stick out and wait for this update and see how it performs. If all is well, then problem solved (fingers crossed) but if all is not well, it'll be off to John Lewis to test how good their customer service is. Will keep you updated!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:jonobrain:I bought this box last week... the biggest problem I have is the menus e.g. EPG, Recording etc don't seem to be outputted through the SCART connection only HDMI.

Okay, finally got round to trying this out and you're quite correct, no menus when using the SCART connection. Very bizarre. Have tried adjusting all the settings and can't get them. No idea if this will be fixed in the update, but would say if it's something you need, it's worth logging the issue with Philips to ensure they are aware of it.

Just read this elsewhere:

On the front of the box there is a "V-Out" button and you press this to
change the output from HDMI to Scart - see page 23 of the manual.

Not at home to try it for a while but it has worked for someone else so if you're having the issue using a Scart cable, this should fix the issue.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear Philips / Pace. Early August is now almost over and still no news of this software update. it really is a shame this has been such a protracted affair as the glitches are now just becoming plain annoying. Rather than thinking I can put up with them for a few weeks like I have done previously I'm now turning to more like what day do I go back to John Lewis to seek a refund?

A

Anonymous

shame indeed!! this is starting to look like mid-august!!

to be honest, not thinking about returning it (unless an update never comes!) but am just getting slighty bored of deleting stuff as the box tries to (and succeeds) record a lot things multiple times!! if i've set something to record on BBCHD for example, i often find it'll record the same programme later on BBCONE! also, the first recording i made when i bought the box was the movie 'Eyes wide shut' (dunno why!!) months ago-however, last week i noticed that it had recorded a re-run of the very same film! why?!!

'apart' from that, still liking the box's performance and at least it doesn't miss any recordings lol.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Mine has now resorted to saying "Signal lost" every time it's switched on until the aerial cable is removed and replaced - this of course effectively makes it useless as a PVR.

It's going back for an exchange as soon as the Humax is released as I've given Philips way more leeway than they deserve on this.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

Mine has now resorted to saying "Signal lost" every time it's switched on until the aerial cable is removed and replaced - this of course effectively makes it useless as a PVR.

It's going back for an exchange as soon as the Humax is released as I've given Philips way more leeway than they deserve on this.

Hi Prof,

I'm the one that had this problem a while ago. I think it may be down to signal strength. I would check your aerial out and remove any unnecessary connections like patch leads etc. Also if you have a signal booster check its still working

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - aerial was fine as it worked okay with Play TV unit, just the Philips unit had clearly developed a fault.

At any rate, it's now been returned and I'm trying out the Digital Stream box, which although doesn't have quite as good picture quality, does at least work in every way - it's amazing how much easier everything is with it. Plus I'm now getting Dolby Digital surround sound which is nice. There is an update promised for this at end of August (I know relying on updates again, but at least MIT have actually already delivered one when they said they would and have also been very communicative with their customers unlike Philips - astonishingly, their website still says the update is due early August!), and this is going to apparently include some picture options to allow you to tweak the picture to your liking and this will hopefully improve things.

At any rate, thanks to excellent John Lewis service, (full refund offered or trade in for anything else even after having the Philips for about 3 months -
emotion-21.gif
) I believe I can take this back and trade in for the Humax within 28 days if I decide it's not up to scratch.

So sorry to say no more updates from me on the Philips, but would be good if those who've kept the box could update this thread when the upgrade does finally come out to inform others on how it performs.

A

Anonymous

Ridiculous.

We get to past mid August and now the early August promised software update becomes this early September update. The moment the Humax becomes available at John Lewis (anyone a clue on when this will be?) I'm afraid this Philips box is a goner.

A

Anonymous

just don't get it!! this box has been out for months now and whilst i'm no expert on the matter, surely software designed from scratch could've been made within this time frame?!

how come PROF can buy a ***** Digital Stream box replacement that works better and has recieved updates but massive companies such as Philips and Pace drop the ball?! even tesco's box had updates lol.

surely Philips/Pace must know this is a PR nightmare and will surely effect potential sales from future products from themselves. don't they care?!

emotion-12.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agreed - I was quite positive on the box to start and, despite the delays on the update not coming until July, then August, I tried to remain positive in the face of Philips' / Pace's apparent lack of customer service. With the further push back of the update, but still with no explanation as to what was definitely going to be fixed, why the upgrade was being pushed back etc., I couldn't justify my optimism any more.

The stupid thing is, if Philips / Pace had just communicated with its customers and told us what was being done and why, then I may well have decided to keep the box (assuming of course the major bugs were listed as things that were being fixed). But if you're going to treat your customers like mushrooms, then don't expect people to pay any loyalty to you. I think other companies can look at this and learn a big lesson on how not to do customer service.

I'm just so glad I bought from John Lewis and not the likes of Currys etc. where I would no doubt have had to argue till I was blue in the face to get a replacement!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts